Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet... >

so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...

Notices

so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...

Old 04-25-2015, 02:51 PM
msm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mercury should really just give up and offer Arnesons with their motor packages.
How sweet would that be.
Post of the century right there.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I am sorry but put 1000-1350-1650-xxxx hp in front of a drive and it is going to have wear and eventually fail. I have a set of 8's and I bet I have engine issues before drive issues but if I put shafts on there I still have other issues and the bustle covers the drives and props for the most part. I can replace gears much more than body parts from blades back there when we are all swimming around with that set of Ginsu knives hanging out waiting on a unsuspecting set of feet or legs....
Hmmm. I have a friend with a 1987 Fountain that came from the start with drop box ASD8s and 900/1100s in front of them. They have never been off the boat, they have never had a failure......and get this, he has never even checked the oil in them. That boat has had paint, interior, numerous engine and trans rebuilds. Everything on that boat has been touched once, except those drives. Sure maybe not 1350 HP, but once you see the inside of an ASD drive you will understand why they just don't break.

I have also never seen a #6 or #8 boat parked with the blades under the swim platform, same props....and they hurt just as much attached to a merc drive.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sorry but put 1000-1350-1650-xxxx hp in front of a drive and it is going to have wear and eventually fail. I have a set of 8's and I bet I have engine issues before drive issues but if I put shafts on there I still have other issues and the bustle covers the drives and props for the most part. I can replace gears much more than body parts from blades back there when we are all swimming around with that set of Ginsu knives hanging out waiting on a unsuspecting set of feet or legs....
Amen brother
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1st, I'm glad you are happy with what you have. However, I do not understand what an Arneson has to with a bussel or any other part of the boat? I think you might be confused on how things are setup. YES one can make them fixed as far as steering and use a rudder but that is not necessary as they are fully capable of steering and triming on their own.'

As for propellers, last I check'd its the EXACT same propeller on the Arneson as it is the Merc, so how is one going to be less injured over the other? Neither offer any protection for swimming and kicking a propeller, even a Bravo or Outboard have this prevalent problem.

Just saying.. facts vs misperceptions.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Asd 8s are maybe an inch or 2 longer than a 6 drive with the standard thrust tube.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
1st, I'm glad you are happy with what you have. However, I do not understand what an Arneson has to with a bussel or any other part of the boat? I think you might be confused on how things are setup. YES one can make them fixed as far as steering and use a rudder but that is not necessary as they are fully capable of steering and triming on their own.'

As for propellers, last I check'd its the EXACT same propeller on the Arneson as it is the Merc, so how is one going to be less injured over the other? Neither offer any protection for swimming and kicking a propeller, even a Bravo or Outboard have this prevalent problem.

Just saying.. facts vs misperceptions.
well said rick, i think people get all weird about arnesons just cuz the're so frickin mean looking, the rear shot of the chief boat looks wicked! What a monster. Those drives look like they are all business.. Rm
Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
well said rick, i think people get all weird about arnesons just cuz the're so frickin mean looking, the rear shot of the chief boat looks wicked! What a monster. Those drives look like they are all business.. Rm
Problem is he's probably never seen a boat with Arnesons that steer and is confusing the two setups for one. A lot of boating is monkey see monkey do and if people see that we use a rudder and fix them for trim they, through no fault of their own really, assume that this must be the only way things are done when in reality couldn't be farther from reality.

Now the propeller comments just blow my mind as they are the EXACT same propeller and how its more dangerous all of a sudden is? And who really swims in close contact with ANY outdrive or outboard?