Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift? >

any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?

Notices

any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have much that really shows anything I originally assembled it with 2 tanks with the Fountain. Added the 3rd tank with the cruiser. I guess you can say it pops up. But nothing to worry about. It just reaches that point on the bubble that just a puff pushes past and it'll pop up, then slowly finishes up.
I always fill 1 of the tanks till I see it start to move up, then turn off the blower and let it come up slowly, otherwise it can really hit the boat hard. Once it contacts the boat, Then I'll open all 3 tanks and fill all till they each bubble out.

You gotta watch out to have the boat balanced just right on the lift or you can dump it over the front or rear if the lift is just free floating and all tubes are tied together from front to rear.
Attached Thumbnails any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?-p4260005.jpg   any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?-boat-lift5.jpg   any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?-boat-lift1.jpg  

any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?-phone-014.jpg   any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?-img_0655.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

We used to build 40' x 12' submersible docks for our jet ski rental ops. Used pressure treated dock lumber ( 2 x 10 frame , 2 x 6 deck spaced at 2" ). We used 30 gal drums because we thought it would spread the load and add stability . Barrels were plumbed with 1" pvc from bottom . relief holes also at bottom of barrels . Once you get it built , you can play with ballast ( sand in 6" pvc with caps works well ) to get it to hang below the water surface . Pilings at four corners and mid point with collars and rollers worked well.
These would support 12 - 3 seat waverunners ( about 6000lbs.). We built them in Jan of 2000 and a guy bought them last year and towed them to Miami , still in good condition . If you mounted your trailer on a deck , you could walk around the boat to clean and service easier . I chose p/t lumber because it's durable ( no rust issues ) , easy to work with , and reasonably priced . Good Luck !!!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
We used to build 40' x 12' submersible docks for our jet ski rental ops. Used pressure treated dock lumber ( 2 x 10 frame , 2 x 6 deck spaced at 2" ). We used 30 gal drums because we thought it would spread the load and add stability . Barrels were plumbed with 1" pvc from bottom . relief holes also at bottom of barrels . Once you get it built , you can play with ballast ( sand in 6" pvc with caps works well ) to get it to hang below the water surface . Pilings at four corners and mid point with collars and rollers worked well.
These would support 12 - 3 seat waverunners ( about 6000lbs.). We built them in Jan of 2000 and a guy bought them last year and towed them to Miami , still in good condition . If you mounted your trailer on a deck , you could walk around the boat to clean and service easier . I chose p/t lumber because it's durable ( no rust issues ) , easy to work with , and reasonably priced . Gkood Luck !!!
unfortunately the biggest Pressure treat here is a 2x6, thee are zero frame houses around other than shotgun shacks. Plus i can build it quickly in steel i have all the equipment... that for the info tho. rm
Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Don't have much that really shows anything I originally assembled it with 2 tanks with the Fountain. Added the 3rd tank with the cruiser. I guess you can say it pops up. But nothing to worry about. It just reaches that point on the bubble that just a puff pushes past and it'll pop up, then slowly finishes up.
I always fill 1 of the tanks till I see it start to move up, then turn off the blower and let it come up slowly, otherwise it can really hit the boat hard. Once it contacts the boat, Then I'll open all 3 tanks and fill all till they each bubble out.

You gotta watch out to have the boat balanced just right on the lift or you can dump it over the front or rear if the lift is just free floating and all tubes are tied together from front to rear.
I have tons of room so can make it as long as i want, do you think that making it longer would lessen the danger of flipping it front to rear?

I will have 4 inch pipe on 4 corners so it will only move up and down. Thx for the pics and info
Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't paint the aluminum, instead of steel try to use aluminum in the other structure to avoid dissimilar metals. You could also bolt anodes to the structure as well and maybe hose it off with fresh water after it lifts if possible.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Sounds like the cradles that Myco builds. As for taking 10-15 min to lift,,,,,,,, that person had the wrong blower or leaks.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I wouldn't paint the aluminum, instead of steel try to use aluminum in the other structure to avoid dissimilar metals. You could also bolt anodes to the structure as well and maybe hose it off with fresh water after it lifts if possible.
Im not set up to weld alum that thick, so cant. Can do on rinsing the boat and flushing the engines.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

As remote as you are, I would think something of the simplest design would be best.

http://www.dock-blocks.com/docking-s...rive-on-lifts/

There are dozens of manufacturers of these; and half of them are probably made in China. If you could get to the distributor; you could probably get a whole container full sent your direction.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
As remote as you are, I would think something of the simplest design would be best.

http://www.dock-blocks.com/docking-s...rive-on-lifts/

There are dozens of manufacturers of these; and half of them are probably made in China. If you could get to the distributor; you could probably get a whole container full sent your direction.
I thought a oit them big fidgured it would be too expensive. any idea how much it would cost for enough to lift a 32 cc, one problem is shipping and duties will add a ton of cost.

I can build it in Sections and have a cargo boat bring that and the rrailer out tk the island and bolt it all together there... not a very complex system, only the blower might need maint and i can put a deck around it for servicing the engines... thx rm
Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

With all that cheap labor down there why bother with any type of lift.......just run that biotch up on the beach and pay the locals 50 cents each to push it back in the water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moq07PWYfnM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.