Arneson on A single engine cat? >

Arneson on A single engine cat?

Notices

Arneson on A single engine cat?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy01
There have been a few different single engine cats with arnesons. I do believe there was a certain 26 that put up some big numbers, however during testing in a turn it got up on the prop and spun in the turn. I don't remember all the details this was a while back.
#6 is going to be your best bet.
Why?

And I do wonder why. If both are a surfacing drive why would the 6 be more stable? Is the 6 skeg make that much difference over the "skeg" used on arneson?

Or is the 6 deeper ?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Still loving the Talon?
Nate,
Yep, it's the best boat I've owned!
Hope all is well,
Dean
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you have for power on the Talon Dean? What speeds do you see with that power?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy01
There have been a few different single engine cats with arnesons. I do believe there was a certain 26 that put up some big numbers, however during testing in a turn it got up on the prop and spun in the turn. I don't remember all the details this was a while back.
#6 is going to be your best bet.
#6 may not even be an option, recut transom, move motor forward for trans, and add a bunch of weight. SCX would be my choice.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SS930
What do you have for power on the Talon Dean? What speeds do you see with that power?
SS390,
It's a victory Marine 572" 680 HP on dyno, spinning 5,700 RPMs, bravo XR, 1.5: GR, best GPS:98 MPH
Attached Thumbnails Arneson on A single engine cat?-gps-recall-6-28-14.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It took a little bit, but a found some pics of a 25 Talon with a Arneson 6/8. With the #7M mod I won't need to mod the transom like they had to here....
Attached Thumbnails Arneson on A single engine cat?-talon-25-arenson1.jpg   Arneson on A single engine cat?-talon-25-arneson-2.jpg   Arneson on A single engine cat?-talon-25-arneson-3.jpg  

Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
It took a little bit, but a found some pics of a 25 Talon with a Arneson 6/8. With the #7M mod I won't need to mod the transom like they had to here....
That boat hauls ass. Customer in DC had it with his "850 hp" blower motor runs 123 which is not bad for a 25' Cat and given that this Cat (Talon) has been splashed to make most of the other similar sized cats it goes without saying we don't see much of a problem.

Dean the only area that has to be addressed is the center pod as it is notched and in order to mount the Arneson correctly the notch has to be extended to the rear of the transom.

Someone mentioned the 29' Force Offshore. The boat is in KY, (Louisville/Jeffersonville area) and it has at best 850 hp motor and can run 105. For some reason and often times we get tied into the boats other problems which are mostly Engine related which are not related to Arneson as we don't build engines.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EL Guapo
Thanks everybody for your ideas/suggestions & posts. I believe we are going to go with a #6 drive for our boat this winter. Love that Arneson Drive tho.
Well that depends on how much power your going to put through that drive? In addition, what type of propeller style are you considering? I assume since you decided on a No. 6 drive you are comfortable with cleavers. You will have a learning curve to overcome on just X dim and propeller selection. Oh and at 5-6K a pop that gets pricey.

Your goals were never mentioned. If you plan on pleasure boating keep in mind you will have a very nasty cleaver propeller on the back of that boat. The propeller will pose a danger to anyone swimming or floating off the back.

I sent you a reply on Saturday never heard from you.

Good luck on your project.

KAP

Last edited by kap328; 05-21-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by EL Guapo
I hear the Arnson Serface drive will work on a single engine 27' cat. I also keep hearing it will not work. Anybody have a single engine cat, especially an Eliminator Daytona or Speedster with this drive?
Just an opinion, I think the raised center pod on the Eliminator would change the angle of the Arneson and drive the bow into the water unlike the Talon with the center pod at the same level as the sponsons.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Just an opinion, I think the raised center pod on the Eliminator would change the angle of the Arneson and drive the bow into the water unlike the Talon with the center pod at the same level as the sponsons.
The center pod on the 27' Speedster is only 2" above the keel line and does not have an effect on the performance. Once again the 27 Speedster in question had an engine problem. 1st day in the water 105 moh @ 5K then progressively slower and slower and slower unitl it reached 89 mph.. Everyone said it was the drive, how it would slow down is a weird assumption, so they ponied up $27K and put an IMCO on it.. 72 mph... Was just with the guy who built this boat last night...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.