Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   A boating accident in Boston (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/326858-boating-accident-boston.html)

wananewboat 06-01-2015 04:13 PM

A boating accident in Boston

http://www.wcvb.com/news/man-charged...-hurt/33323452

The driver of the boat is a DUI attorney.

HyFive578 06-01-2015 04:20 PM

Horrible.. poor girl lost her arm..

SB 06-01-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wananewboat (Post 4311714)
http://www.wcvb.com/news/man-charged...-hurt/33323452

The driver of the boat is a DUI attorney.

You see the name of the boat ?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/de...b0e7d92f6a40d8

Doh.

hogie roll 06-01-2015 06:04 PM

Hard to find him guilty of a girl jumping on the prop.

ActiveThunder 06-01-2015 06:12 PM

Depends. I doubt she lost the arm if the engine wasn't running and the prop turning.

As a society we always have an excuse.

Originally Posted by hogie roll (Post 4311757)
Hard to find him guilty of a girl jumping on the prop.

puzzleboy 06-01-2015 06:19 PM

Oh, something tells me he'll be found not guilty....

314joey 06-01-2015 09:03 PM

12 people on board, who does that with a 29' boat, I've got a 35' boat and rarely have more than 6 and never have more than 8 in mine, WTF.

I wonder whose going to represent him.

Quick2500 06-01-2015 09:04 PM

Seriously, though. In gear or not, I'm not getting withing 10 feet of the drive if the engine is running.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-02-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Greatguy66 (Post 4311863)
Surrender passport wow maybe he is a flight risk because of future law suit??

nah.....just the prosecutor showing off for the media and putting the screws to the competition.....

Unlimited jd 06-02-2015 06:26 AM

With 12 people on board did he even know she went in after the cushion? I imagine it was a bit hectic on board even before the accident. Not defending him just saying maybe it wasn't entirely his fault

dereknkathy 06-02-2015 06:49 AM

sounds like a whole buncha people guilty of being drunk and stupid.

Nate5.0 06-02-2015 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by dereknkathy (Post 4311980)
sounds like a whole buncha people guilty of being drunk and stupid.

This is my take on it

FIXX 06-02-2015 09:54 AM

it was all because of a seat cuchon?? my my..i think it was not a smart move on her part..

hogie roll 06-02-2015 11:02 AM

As I rule I don't make quick maneuvers to retrieve things. To many peoples first reaction to sun glasses flying off is to crank the wheel, fug that it's gone.

DBleil89 06-02-2015 11:04 AM

I don't think you can blame her. He is the captain. It's his job to know what happens on his boat. Also he had 12 people and several were all underage. If they were drinking as well then that falls on him. The guy thought he could do anything he wanted because he is a lawyer and has money.
1: you don't have underage girls on your boat unless is yours or a friends child.
2: you kill the engines when someone goes in the water.
3:4 hours later he was still over the limit, he never should have been behind the wheel of anything.
Just my .02 cents

MonkeySea2 06-02-2015 11:45 AM

The boat was a 29' Chaparral Cruiser. 12 people on board is still a lot. I'm guessing the girl likely jumped in and the captain didn't know it. Lots of mistakes there. But the main thing is the guy was hammered. If he was .09 4 hrs. later, he was ripped at the time of the accident. Very tragic accident that just ruined the lives of 2 people!!

Wildman_grafix 06-02-2015 11:57 AM

Gee you don't think that is why he waited as long as he could to have them test him huh?

Who knows what happened right away but he sure knew how to cover his a$$ as much as he could.

jadento 06-02-2015 12:24 PM

There were for sure several mistakes made, I think we all agree on that. I also think we can all agree the Captain was certainly over the limit and therefore has some responsibility(maybe all of it). But my first question is...if the boat was in gear and moving how did she get near the prop. If she jumped in with the boat in gear it would be only a split seconds and shes 10+ feet behind the boat and that distance is growing. She would have to be one heck of a swimmer to catch back up with the boat without the Captain stopping(putting it in neutral) especially dragging a boat cushion. Which is the second thing to ask, how did a boat cushion get in the water...could not have blown out if they were going slow enough for this girl to think she can jump and get it? Seems more likely the captain was backing back to the cushion with the girl on the platform trying to grab it and she falls in. That seems like a much more plausible way for her to get to the prop. Without police knowledge of actual witness accounts we may never know what happened for sure. Its sucks either way. Just my 2 cents.

John

low_psi 06-02-2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder (Post 4311758)
Depends. I doubt she lost the arm if the engine wasn't running and the prop turning.

As a society we always have an excuse.

I agree with you. Certainly the girl is at fault for jumping overboard and swimming up to a boat running and in gear. HOWEVER, the operator of the vessel is responsible for ALL of his/her occupants. It is the captains responsibility to insure their safety. If someone goes in the water while my boat is in gear, I will immediately toss it into neutral or even just rip the tether. If he was under the influence, this very well impaired his judgment in keeping the boat in gear and running with an occupant in the water.

MonkeySea2 06-02-2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jadento (Post 4312145)
There were for sure several mistakes made, I think we all agree on that. I also think we can all agree the Captain was certainly over the limit and therefore has some responsibility(maybe all of it). But my first question is...if the boat was in gear and moving how did she get near the prop. If she jumped in with the boat in gear it would be only a split seconds and shes 10+ feet behind the boat and that distance is growing. She would have to be one heck of a swimmer to catch back up with the boat without the Captain stopping(putting it in neutral) especially dragging a boat cushion. Which is the second thing to ask, how did a boat cushion get in the water...could not have blown out if they were going slow enough for this girl to think she can jump and get it? Seems more likely the captain was backing back to the cushion with the girl on the platform trying to grab it and she falls in. That seems like a much more plausible way for her to get to the prop. Without police knowledge of actual witness accounts we may never know what happened for sure. Its sucks either way. Just my 2 cents.

John

that sounds pretty plausible to me.

puzzleboy 06-02-2015 12:46 PM

His defence will actually be the opposite. That his BAC actually increased as time wore on, meaning he was sober at the time of the incident.

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4312134)
Gee you don't think that is why he waited as long as he could to have them test him huh?

Who knows what happened right away but he sure knew how to cover his a$$ as much as he could.

jadento 06-02-2015 01:06 PM

Just another thought...whats the water temperature in the Boston area now....looks like air temp is in the upper 40's low 50's today. Not normally the kind of weather your in your bathing suit and in a hurry to go diving in!

John

314joey 06-02-2015 01:06 PM

This guy made so many mistakes he could easily get a job as a WP officer at LOTO.

Knot 4 Me 06-02-2015 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 314joey (Post 4312170)
This guy made so many mistakes he could easily get a job as a WP officer at LOTO.

I hear the civil suit is ramping up on that.

glenncal1 06-02-2015 01:23 PM

Somebody in the water near the boat ENGINE(S) OFF!!

On Time 06-02-2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jadento (Post 4312145)
...how did a boat cushion get in the water...could not have blown out if they were going slow enough for this girl to think she can jump and get it? Seems more likely the captain was backing back to the cushion with the girl on the platform trying to grab it and she falls in. That seems like a much more plausible way for her to get to the prop...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...QiK/story.html

RSCHAP1 06-02-2015 01:38 PM

:(
sad deal

jadento 06-02-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by On Time (Post 4312183)

More detail in this Article...its still weird...he tried to anchor(are we to assume the attempt was unsuccessful)? Oh well, this guy should never have been out so its his fault. But this girl cant be the brightest either, just saying. Again, either way its a $hitty situation for all involved and its sad to hear about.

Just think if it had been one of those "Cigar go-fast boats"!

John

sea6 06-02-2015 06:14 PM

She may not have perceived the danger, if not around boating much. I wonder if boat cushion means fender.

bonesmalon 06-02-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quick2500 (Post 4311868)
Seriously, though. In gear or not, I'm not getting withing 10 feet of the drive if the engine is running.

Damn straight.

Indy 06-02-2015 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sea6 (Post 4312300)
She may not have perceived the danger, if not around boating much.

Agree...I had a girl jump in the water when we were anchored one day in a cove, was oblivious about the outdrive...gashed her knee very badly and required stitches, we were not drinking BTW. I couldn't imagine not knowing about an outdrive, she never went out in boats and couldn't imagine all the machinery down there. From that point forward if there were people on my boat and they were not "boaters" I explained and showed people what was under the surface prior to them going overboard, that situation never happened again.

hogie roll 06-02-2015 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4312330)
Agree...I had a girl jump in the water when we were anchored one day in a cove, was oblivious about the outdrive...gashed her knee very badly and required stitches, we were not drinking BTW. I couldn't imagine not knowing about an outdrive, she never went out in boats and couldn't imagine all the machinery down there. From that point forward if there were people on my boat and they were not "boaters" I explained and showed people what was under the surface prior to them going overboard, that situation never happened again.

I've had this happen. I wrongly assumed she knew because she had been on boats. But I guess a big sea ray with v drives and a swim platform might have given her the wrong impression.

JRider 06-09-2015 07:59 AM

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...hCN/story.html

jadento 06-09-2015 09:38 AM

And the plot thickens!

thirdchildhood 06-09-2015 10:27 AM

Good story. Now they have to prove who was driving.

gsxrmike 06-09-2015 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JRider (Post 4315052)

That story paints a slightly different picture, which makes a bit more sense as to what happened.

glenncal1 06-09-2015 12:32 PM

On board Urbelis’s 29-foot boat that day were four men in their 30s, including Urbelis, and nine women ages 19 to 22.

Lot of folks for a 29' boat, I wonder if whoever was driving was trying to round up everyone that was in the water.

xconn92 06-09-2015 12:52 PM

Terrible tragedy and I am not trying to make light of the situation. But who puts the name of their boat on the side of a cruiser?????

SB 06-09-2015 12:54 PM

BAck in the 80's it was pretty popular to do so ie: boat name on side.