Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gauges - group by function or by engine? >

Gauges - group by function or by engine?

Notices

Gauges - group by function or by engine?

Old 09-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

function.

I also agree that the best way to ensure nominal readings is to rotate the gauges so the needles point up. Looks really kooky though.

Another option is to use gauges with built-in warning lights. Gaffrig makes some.

FloScan (the fuel flow folks) used to offer as a catalog item some incredibly cool gauges. They were attractive and modern looking and were available in both black and white. They were all 2 in 1 gauges, with 110 degree sweep needles opposing each other in a standard 2 1/8" gauge (also offered bigger ones). They were available in either "single engine" (with temp/pressure in one, etc..) or "twin" (temp1/temp2, oil1/oil2). They also contained bright warning lights an internal alarm horns. The best part is that the alarm function was user-selectable for both HIGH alarm and LOW alarm for each gauge. Furthermore, the alarm function could be "suspended" by dropping current to the alarm circuit (this could be used to mute the alarm OR to tie the alarm function(s) to a relay that enabled the alarms AFTER the engione was up to temp OR after the throttles were advanced beyond a certain point (using an external microswitch). Custom printed gauge faces were available via special order, but there were a great many available as special order standards (with no printing charge).

These gauges were available for around $130 each. Those days are over. The gauges never became popular due to lack of advertising and no OEM contracts (the gauges were simply more money that the OEM's wanted to pay - FloScan claims they were selling at a break-even in hopes that volume would later reduce their costs, so they could not offer OEMs a better deal than Joe Shmo buying direct).

The gauges have not been in their catalogs for three years now. I asked them about the gauges at the Miami show, and the rep told me that the gauges were still available but were built to order by hand and that the price was around $300 each, less for quantity.

I designed (one of those "one of these days" kind of things) a new dash for my boat with gauges for a zillion functions using these 2-in-1's. Too cool, brother.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by function-
Old 09-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Registered

Baja usually groups theirs by engine (mine are)
Old 09-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Registered

function.