Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2- 14 yr olds missing on possible failed Bahamas trip >

2- 14 yr olds missing on possible failed Bahamas trip

Notices

2- 14 yr olds missing on possible failed Bahamas trip

Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

THere are definitly some 14 year old kids that have grown up on the water since before they could walk... That I would trust in/with a boat more than some adults I know that have no business stepping on a dock much less running a boat.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great debate and things like this in life will never change on who's right or wrong. Having two kids myself and being one of those who grew on the water too you learn a lot at a young age and I was very lucky to have to have a mishap in running boats reckless with no fear. Owning a Marine Electronics and we preach safety everyday selling equipment I will say based on what may have happened having a VHF, GPS and even a EPIRB may have done nothing if a rogue wave flipped the boat and put them in water unless the EPIRB was a CAT 1 with auto release. IMO the only thing today that works is wearing a PFD. We always wear our lifelines when running out in the ocean at any speed.
They made seat belt laws for a reason. Any sort of PFD would have saved their lives.

Just something we all can learn from. Anyone can have an accident but it is how well prepared you are will help in the results.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's no coincidence that the lawsuit was filed this week on the 2 year anniversary; that is when the ability to sue runs out. I had a similar experience with a friend who died tragically at another friends house through no fault of the homeowner and the widow filed a wrongful death lawsuit on exactly the two year anniversary and in that case, the lawsuit was 100% vindictive. As tragic as it was, the only person responsible was the deceased himself as a result of his recklessness. Ironically, today is the 9-year anniversary of that event.

This story is so tragic; two boys lost their lives because they were being 14 year old boys, doing what 14 year old boys do. They want what they want; they do things they shouldn't, they push boundaries and test limits. That's what 14 year old boys do; I know, I have one. Tragically, they pushed just a little too far. I have raised three children, my youngest is 14. My children have been around boats for years and are very familiar with the water. But 14 year old boys are reckless by nature and even though my son is a very mature and responsible kid, there is NO way I would let him take a boat out without a knowledgeable adult supervising. You only have to be wrong one time for tragedy to strike.

I can only speculate what the mother's motives are for filing this lawsuit, but none of them are good and even a successful judgement will not bring her boy back. The plaintiff's attorney's statement in the press the other day with respect to what the other mother knew was designed to bias potential jurors and influence public opinion in the case. They want people to see the mother of the other boy as "reckless", "someone to blame". IMO, the lawsuit is shameful.

God rest their souls.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
These kids lived about a mile from the inlet...... Jupiter Inlet Webcam
I would expect they have been fishing, snorkeling and spearfishing that inlet for years so it is essentially their back porch so you could easily see how their familiarity would have given them the confidence to be out there (whether or not it is good or bad parenting is another issue). The lawsuit is going to sling accusations both ways but the fact is neither set of parents knew what their kids were planning to do that day. They fueled up just inside the inlet ($108 or so) clearly indicating they weren't just planning to fish around the inlet.......kids don't do stuff like put "extra fuel" in the boat but rather put in $20 and see how far that takes them.

Hard lesson to learn for those kids.......waste of time trying to prove a point with lawsuits as both parents lost the same thing.
We live in a very litigious society. The older I get the more I see it... Should they be suing them? Morally, probably not. Legally, maybe. But if it were your child you really cant say - they have been through hell. We cant put ourselves in their shoes. I cant even imagine.

But, before you cast a stone, how many of you are divorced? Was your ex-wife really nice? For those of you that had a bad divorce should she have been the antichrist? How about a land deal that went south or even a car accident... Its our society and both these families have the means to file a lawsuit, matter of fact, it has little to do with ethics at this point. So they sue.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO no good reason for such lawsuit. They are already rich - greedy for more money? Vengeance? Against who? So the suing family can say they had no knowledge of the adventurous nature of these boys to excuse themselves over bad parenting?? Do they have greedy lawyer friends eager to bleed another insurance company so all our rates can go higher? Can they get a new law passed so all off duty watercraft have to be padlocked or guarded?

Nothing is going to bring the boys back. When my former Olympic swimming team father lay dying in the hospital at 90 years old did I feel like suing the attitude laden raghead that had just arrived from the actual BFE? HeII yes but it wasn't going to bring him back and like my wife said it would only prolong the agony and make sure we kept our anger and resentment at full throttle for another 2 years.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Any sort of PFD would have saved their lives.
Boat capsized and thumps them in the head.....game over.
Boat full of bait/chum capsized and loaded the water.....shark week game over.
Hypothermia sets in, people get crazy and take off their life jackets.....game over.

PFD might have helped authorities find the bodies but it isn't a guarantee it would have saved their lives. Video showed them going out the inlet in shorts.....no shirts/no pfds
Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are possible outcomes of the lawsuit?

a grieving family gets more money, while another grieving family loses money

a grieving family gets no money while the other grieving family loses no money.

Seems like the outcome sucks either way to me

i have a son their age. Ive tried to think who i would blame. At the end of the day 14 y/o is old enough to know right from wrong. This isnt the other parents fault.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I didn`t grow up or live close to water so it`s possible my views are different .
Every year locally there`s drownings in lake Michigan. Rip currents take people out , they fall off boats whatever the case. 3 weeks ago they pulled a kid out of the water in while we were in Racine.. fell off a pier and got hypothermia. (they got him out in time)
Man rescued from Lake Michigan by Racine County Sheriff Water Patrol

Last year, 2 couples jumped off a sailboat for a swim couldn`t get back in ( guess they didn`t drop a ladder) the anchor rope was full of blood, ( from them trying to use it to climb back in )
Didn`t find a single one of them.

No one just lets their kids go off on their own in a boat here at 14.. no one responsible anyway.

ct-lake-michigan-drownings-met-20160715-story.html

Since 2010, Lake Michigan had at least 223 drownings, nearly as many drownings as Lake Huron, Lake Superior, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario combined, which combined had at least 251 drownings, according to the rescue project. About 15 of those Lake Michigan drownings occurred in the Greater Chicago region, with three, including that of Woods, taking place in the past week.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 07-26-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Loss of a child has to be the worst event in a humans life and does things to people that make them unrecognizable by their actions afterwards.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up on the water. Also most of my relatives on both parents side are into sports fishing. In fact my mothers first cousin has owned and operated a boat dealership since the early 1980's. Mostly fishing based. He also has a bait/tackle shop. On my dads side, his uncle was an executive producer of a popular Canadian outdoors show, mostly sports fishing. The show has spawned two popular parodies, the first was John Candy on SCTV the singin fishermen sketch, the most popular is the comedy Red Green Show.

Via my moms cousin, at 12 years old I had an 12ft aluminum skiff type boat with a little 9.5 merc on it..... Nice thing back in my day, under 16, you didn't need a fishing license to fish. Nor did we have too follow the sports fishing seasons. In the summer, I had small crab traps out. Id dig clams and muscles at low tide. A typical summer day, was doing this. And Id add in some rock cod or even salmon fishing. This would be lunch or dinner.

My cousin sold Boston Whalers in the 1980's, besides being a Mercury dealer. Net I have lots of hours on Whalers.

We can only speculate. But my experience, doesn't matter how experienced you are, a minor mistake on the ocean can be deadly. Whalers are considered unsinkable, they famously cut a Whaler Montouk in half to show the still float. You loose a single engine in one in a little chop, you can still swamp one and end up swimming!