Notices

How not to sell a boat

Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
How can a serious buyer expect to negotiate a deal sight unseen thru email? I wouldnt entertain it as a seller. If your standing in front of me, whole different story.
Having just bought a boat myself I talked to quite a few people and have seen quite a few pretty good deals on the market. IF I had a boat for sale and a guy like Old Navy (that is a good friend of mine) inquired about bottom line I wouldnt ignore it. Yes, random people throwing numbers out there that have no intention of buying anything are a time waster but knowing him as well as I do I am sure he sent the guy detailed email saying I am interested in your boat, contigent on my inspection in person I would be willing to offer XXXX, would you consider it BEFORE I BUY A AIRLINE TICKET ACROSSED THE COUNTRY , if guy absolutely refused to budge then it would be pointless to fly acrossed country to look at the boat (he is looking at California /Havasu boats like I just did). Just what I know, Smitty
Old 09-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we had exchanged quite a few e-mails and the boat is a long way from me. I did want to narrow down a price window before I drove across the country for personal inspection and doing the deal. I wanted to be 99 percent sure this was THE boat. Maybe he is insulted or he sold it to someone else.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Navy
Well, I see a boat on Boattrader that I have been watching all summer drop by by 5k, Its 10 percent off the original price. The boat has been on the market for 6 months.I make the seller an offer @ 10 percent off the current asking price and he won't respond to my offer. I put the offer out there to open negotiations. Where I live its Fall and we have 6 months of storage ahead. I am venting ...BUT was I wrong to offer this guy 10 percent less than his asking price??
Are you just texting and emailing? May want to break out the old phone and call him.

Last edited by JRider; 09-22-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

As a buyer if your comfortable negotiating sight unseen, then treat it as if you were in person. To get the best price did you offer a deposit and a possible sale for the seller? If your playing what if with the seller and no money to wire or overnight as a let's get the deal in motion gesture, then you are wasting the sellers time and yours. It's a chess game and it takes 2 players.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Navy
Yes, we had exchanged quite a few e-mails and the boat is a long way from me. I did want to narrow down a price window before I drove across the country for personal inspection and doing the deal. I wanted to be 99 percent sure this was THE boat. Maybe he is insulted or he sold it to someone else.
OK good, but it's your job as a buyer to get a feel for the sellers position, an exact number will not always be thrown out there. Sometimes you ll get lucky and the "I'm going to jail or kid has to go to college, I need X". A savy seller is going to let you know there is room, not put a number on bottom line and get you to make an offer with a deposit. The seller is sending you a message, you've gone somewhere they don't want to go, that should tell you something about the position of the seller.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Registered

Is it possible you're just a pain in the a$s?

I've cut all lines of communication when selling things before when the email, text count is high and the seemingly endless questions get old.

There's and old saying ; "sh1t or get off the pot" words to live by.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Is it possible you're just a pain in the a$s?

I've cut all lines of communication when selling things before when the email, text count is high and the seemingly endless questions get old.

There's and old saying ; "sh1t or get off the pot" words to live by.
HaHa, Of course I am.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

If I was selling a boat this time of the year I'd do just about anything short of some sex acts to complete a sale. It's a buyers market.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Why is it no one wants to use these phones that we have to ,,,,,,, you know CALL someone.

Not sure about this deal but having worked in the field and with people from all over the world at some point DIRRECT communication works far better then any text or e-mail.

If you still think you may want it try a call, not like that costs anything and from the sellers tone of voice you will get a better feel for where he is at.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

How many times have you talked to the seller ?? I have my 33 OL for sale and I keep getting..........I'm really interested in your boat, could you send more pictures............. they don't call, these guys aren't buyers there picture collectors, If your offer is all you will pay, and you don't get a response, then move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.