Notices

How not to sell a boat

Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
How many times have you talked to the seller ?? I have my 33 OL for sale and I keep getting..........I'm really interested in your boat, could you send more pictures............. they don't call, these guys aren't buyers there picture collectors, If your offer is all you will pay, and you don't get a response, then move on.
Your boat although priced fair still needs motors and exhaust, I considered buying it but was able to find a considerably faster hull a year newer with 1/2 as many hours with 100 hour hp 500 efis for just over 20,000 more, I was a cash buyer, didnt need to sell a boat to buy new one etc but simply passed for something turn key,I also found a 2 year newer turn key 33outlaw in mint condition with mag motors for 15,000 more than yours I passed on. Hulls without power are a hard sell unless someone has a pair of motors laying around that are ready to drop in. I DO appreciate your time though and after talking to you on the phone we WERE able to do business on the other parts you were selling which I thank you for, Smitty
Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm never insulted by an offer doesn't mean I'll take it.... it just a starting point. I'm older but I realize a lot of younger folks do everything by email (I see it at work all week) that being said I try my best to answer my emails as soon as I can.

Soooo what ya looking for I may have something for sale .....
Old 09-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience if you have to ask the seller a bunch of questions, it is in reality the seller's fault, not mine. If a seller takes proper pictures and gives a proper and accurate description it eliminates the majority of questions.

If a seller does a proper ad i should only have to ask 2 questions, when and where can I can see it and what is your bottom line cash today.

If I have to ask what year the boat it is (heck and sometimes even brand and model), what motor is in it, how many hours and can they send pics of the engines, cockpit and interior...that is the seller's fault, not mine.

It is simple, if sellers would take pictures and give an accurate description, at least to the level they would expect (or demand) if they were buying the boat..things would go much smoother.

Not a Performance boat, but here is a perfect(albeit extreme) example from CL today.....

Title: Great family boat - $2500 (Springhill)

Description: "I have a 19ft. Boat with a 3.0 mercruiser it's on a aluminium performance trailer with a stainless steel prop runs great easy on gas. interior is in good shape"

The 3 Photos in the ad...

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to the seller (on the phone) looks like it is going to work out. He had family issues and did not reply to his emails over the weekend. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Just sold a boat. Nothing but email and privet messages. Pretty easy overall but I still would rather do it the old way when someone came to where the boat is, etc, etc.
Also the economy being like it is and has been the people that are selling now are in no big hurry. The folks that were in over their heads and were trying to get from under them are gone lone ago. Offer are great but I wouldn't expect anyone to jump just because it was made. For the most part we are not starving. I live in Maryland and also have to winterize, etc, etc. Not a second thought when it came to selling.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If someone asks "will you or would you take xxx?" I will work with them and see if we can put it together. But when I get "ok great I'll give you xxx" I don't even reply.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Navy
I talked to the seller (on the phone) looks like it is going to work out. He had family issues and did not reply to his emails over the weekend. Thanks for the advice guys.
congratulations,what type of boat did you buy?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Navy
Cool

So when can we see it?????
Old 09-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 93 shooter
congratulations,what type of boat did you buy?
Howard Bullett
Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Congrats on the new boat! When I sold my boat I sold it for 18% off my asking price, buyer had 100 dollar bills in hand. Plus I listed it for more than I wanted to get negotiations going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.