Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need help with Sea strainer installation? >

need help with Sea strainer installation?

Notices

need help with Sea strainer installation?

Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is on a bravo boat there is really no reason to cut extra thru hulls. You can use the pick up on the drive just fine
Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Install ball valves and bypass. Had a lid break in half during a poker run and would have sunk if I would not been able to shut off and keep motors running while pumping out water.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by NWPC
Install ball valves and bypass. Had a lid break in half during a poker run and would have sunk if I would not been able to shut off and keep motors running while pumping out water.
One reason I like the Teague type is that the lid is clamped all around the edge and I can't see it ever cracking. The wing nuts are actually wing bolts that cannot come out of the lid and get lost. It's not as easy to open as the single center bolt but still pretty easy. Mine is below the water line and if I have to clean it on the water I just hold my thumb over the inlet as soon as the top comes off. I can clean it on the water and get less than a gallon of water in the bilge. I do like the idea of a ball valve shut-off though. The relief valve and hose in the pic have been eliminated. I tweaked my water inlet to get the pressure where I want it and closed cooling can take a lot more pressure than raw water cooling.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very important. Since you will need some elbows or 45 deg. bend fittings, make sure they are the type that have a larger radius bends and true 1" or 1 1/4" INSIDE flow. many fittings may have the right threads but smaller diameter on the inside. It will restrict your flow. (I have some extras. )
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for great tips. I have not installed the strainers yet but will use the advise you all have given
Thank you
Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safety wire or zip tie the valves open, had a friend toast his motor from it being bumped during service.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

have to ask above was his temp gauge and alarm working ?