Notices

Pilini Marine Starting Construction On New 34 XCS Catamaran

Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
I don't think he will get rich , i think he will make a good living
Not after you add the hull to that total.And $4000 props-sign me up.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
You are correct on your numbers but don't forget:

Material Costs - (fiberglass/wood/core/resin) or more expensive (carbon fiber/epoxy/vacuum bagging)
Labor Costs - to layup the hull and deck
Mold Production Costs - building the molds
Design Costs - pre-production and post production research, design and development
Overhead Costs - Building, front office, misc. labor, marketing, boat shows, transportation, etc.
Insurance Costs

That eats up the $67,000 difference pretty quickly.
There can be $100,000+ difference just in the types of material used. Carbon Fiber & Epoxy through out a boat versus fiberglass & resin or a combination there of.

Years ago when I had my Kryptonite built (2003) - I remember talking to the owner of the company and he was telling me how his cost of materials were directly related to the price of oil and when it double so did his material costs. Oil prices then were under $30 a barrel, in 2011 they hit $90 and today we are back to $40. There are so many variables that need to be looked at when breaking down the cost of something like these.
Sure we can use the Corvette versus Ferrari comparison but what I think is better is comparing a 2003 Ferrari 360 to 2003 Ferrari Enzo. Both are 2003 Ferraris and built in the same plant but one is radically different than the other.
I hear ya. A lot of builders were saying due to the price of oil years back. However none of the big names have cut there pricing due to the drop in oil prices. Neither has the airlines for that matter.
Only time will tell how this boat turns out. If pricing holds true it is a good deal for brand new 32' cat if it performs reasonably well.
This is what this industry needs in the Cat market. The more builders the better for us.
Lot's of new cat OB models in the works.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I am a big fan of Sunsation and AT but I suspect this cat will run away from both if the seas are less than 3 ft and there is talent behind the wheel.
No Vee-Hull, step or no step, is going to out run an equally power cat... in any seas.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
No Vee-Hull, step or no step, is going to out run an equally power cat... in any seas.
I agree but in the case listed those two vee bottoms would have a 250+ hp advantage. The cat will easily run away on flat water but if the seas spool up there could be a different outcome.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree but in the case listed those two vee bottoms would have a 250+ hp advantage. The cat will easily run away on flat water but if the seas spool up there could be a different outcome.
My compare was on boat size. I get the water and handling aspects. Ex, compare a 32 skater to a 36. (338 or most comp model). I don't know all the skater models but I'm curious about a side by side, freeboard, cockpit etc.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
You, my friend, have never been on a 41 apache in 30 foot seas,,,,
Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
You, my friend, have never been on a 41 apache in 30 foot seas,,,,
Personally, I hope I'm not on anything in 30-foot seas.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

To get back on topic
I think this will be a great boat with the 400 verados. Another option that I think would be impressive is the new 570 illmor small blocks. Those light weight engines in a cat.this size with imco drives would.make a great combination
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product! Jay is a master builder and a perfectionist.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

I am a big fan of Sunsation and AT but I suspect this cat will run away from both if the seas are less than 3 ft and there is talent behind the wheel.
Yes it will. And if it's anything like it's big brother (36) it will in the big stuff too Especially with talent behind the throttles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.