Notices

Aluminum trailers

Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for with everything these days. There are NO deals. if you pay 6k for a trailer, you may think that is a fair deal for a 30-35' boat. But the reality is you are paying for how much it weighs and the quality of the components. there is a big difference in a I beam trailer vs a welded C channel trailer. The I-beam twists and flexes a lot which is why they are bolted together. The strength in the trailer is in the boat. A welded trailer takes more material to stiffen and strengthen so by weight alone, its pricier, plus the labor. It may take a few days to weld up a trailer but on the flip side I waited 4 hrs at tow master once while they built , wired and stacked 7 trailers for me to pick up to bring home.
I personally, bought a new Peterson tandem for my Phantom. But I knew what I was getting for the most part. It was shiny and nice when new but the tires on mag wheels were cheap and cheesy > While it had the right 6k axles the wheels were to small ( ie load rating for the boat). It looked like it had plenty of drop beams in it when you look forward of the wheels but when I looked closer after a few thousand miles I realized the bunks only sat on 2 beams. 1 forward and 1 aft of the axles which put a bow and a bounce in the trailer under way. I've since straightened things out and am reasonably happy . A friend bought a new manning around the same time. I was jealous, but then again, I didn't have a an extra 5-6k for the Manning at the time. If I did, that's what I would have bought.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't by the heavier load tires ruined the axles, I own a excavation/demo company, we have all kinds of trailers and axles, Lite or heavy load you don't want your tire flexing to save another part. tires are the most important lifeline of the trailer and your load.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
I don't by the heavier load tires ruined the axles, I own a excavation/demo company, we have all kinds of trailers and axles, Lite or heavy load you don't want your tire flexing to save another part. tires are the most important lifeline of the trailer and your load.
I think the coupler and safety chains run a close 2nd to the tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Who besides Myco makes a great aluminum trailer ?? I am looking at a Baja 40 Outlaw and I need a trailer. It has to be heavy duty as the boat is big and heavy. Looking at Nextrail, Ameritrail. Any other ones out there I am missing ??

Edit : Myco and Manning are great trailers, but too pricey for me. Would like to be in the 10-12K range.

Thanks
Have you actually priced Manning? They should be at the top of your range.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Very Interesting & if you lived it you know better than the rest of us.

I find it hard to believe that the Axle Manufacturer specifies a tire or tire construction in order for their axles to be effective.
I plan to reach out to Dexter & follow up on this.

Thanks For Sharing!
now I'm curious, I'm due for new tires this year after a 6 wheel lock up early last year. Funny thing is Dexter the axle company doesn't recommend torsion axles above 2 above manufactures specs for that. while backing in a tight spot have any others looked at the side wall stress on the front tires from the pivot? I like the ideas of these tires and I want them. Being as all torsion axles aren't the same, i wonder if the smaller ones for the smaller trailers had less uumph for the durability of the tires.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Registered

A part of me wants to believe that a harder stiffer tire breaks loose easier from the surface vs. one that flex's & distorts allowing the trailer to rotate easier in a tight turn situation. Distorting a tire like I've seen some do when in a tight turn can't be good for the tire construction (belts, seems etc)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A part of me wants to believe that a harder stiffer tire breaks loose easier from the surface vs. one that flex's & distorts allowing the trailer to rotate easier in a tight turn situation. Distorting a tire like I've seen some do when in a tight turn can't be good for the tire construction (belts, seems etc)
I'm just going to install this on my truck & trailer; so I can pendulum-swing that ***** around corners:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum trailers-20130404_112538_zps1b3d0aee.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rolls Axle for salt water. No springs or torsion bars to rot out. 1-888-765-5752.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Interesting & if you lived it you know better than the rest of us.

I find it hard to believe that the Axle Manufacturer specifies a tire or tire construction in order for their axles to be effective.
I plan to reach out to Dexter & follow up on this.

Thanks For Sharing!
Let us know what Dexter has to say about this, please. My new Owens trailer has Dexter axles.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Flightplan
Let us know what Dexter has to say about this, please. My new Owens trailer has Dexter axles.
While I can't quote verbatim b/c I didn't speak w/ them directly the sales and marketing director at Evo did and was told by Dexter that they'd never heard of any such thing. What I was told is that tire construction does not affect axle durability / wear, Dexter Axles that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.