Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Notices

Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Hi everyone,

Planning a big trip to the FL Keys in 6 weeks. I’l be pulling the boat(30 foot trailer) from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale. I’l be alone, leaving on a Friday pm Should pass by New York city around 10 pm and drive another hour or so before stopping for a nap. What do you experienced travellers do for the night? Hotels (leave the boat and Trailer unatended), Rest area shoulders (I see a lot of truckers there at night time - I can overnight in the cabin) Any other options? Time is on my side. I have to be in FL max on Monday morning. I have done that trip numerous times before without a boat behind and no stop with other drivers… Any tips or advices are welcomed
Thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left my boat/trailer unattended in the hotel parking lots the couple of nights on the way back from havasu. I had no issues.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 AM
ben
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of coffee to stay awake for the 10 hour boring drive from the Florida line to miami, worst part of the drive to the keys haha
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take 2 spare tires !!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bill63
Take 2 spare tires !!
More if they are brand new looking but have sat for many years. Seems like age has alot to do with tires on trailers. They often don't even show signs of dryness or cracking, and then pop. once they heat up..
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh and a good floor jack. Flashlight
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Stay at hotels adjacent to tittie bars, and dont eat the clams at hojo's
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

As said above - multiple spare tires, spare parts, floor jack, two or three 12x12 blocks of wood or jack stands, a good tool set with the right sockets, breaker bar, Flashlights, grease, rags, etc.

I prefer to crash at a hotel and get a decent sleep, however if your cabin is big enough, that should work. I would park it at a big truck stop, hotel or the like but not alone somewhere by yourself.

As for where to stay - There are two easy in and out hotels at exit 8A on the Turnpike, that puts you a little shy of an hour south of the city but is easy on/off. Also there is a good rest stop between exits 8A and 8 and then another South of Exit 7.

What's your route? It sounds like you are planning to take the NY Thruway to NJ and not Rte 81. If that's the case (most likely an easier tow than 81), do not take the Parkway or 95 when you cross into NJ. Take 287 - this will keep you away from the congestion of NE Jersey and is an easy tow. It will take you to Exit 10 on the NJ Turnpike (95 South).
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I usually sleep in the truck at rest stops or truck stops. I've never had bad luck in hotel parking lots, but still don't trust the boat alone.

I always carry a laser temp gun and shoot the trailer tires and hubs when I stop. As long as each tire and hub are about the same temp as the others then you're fine. If temps are very far off from each other, check air pressure or lube the hubs.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

My .02 - If you've got a 6-lug trailer, bring an extra hub.. and a ratchet strap to tie an axle up in case you don't want to fix it on the side of the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.