Need Some Dyno test results for 496 >

Need Some Dyno test results for 496

Notices

Need Some Dyno test results for 496

Old 03-10-2016, 12:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And it works the other way to - having a 2004 or even 2005 boat hull but you can still have an 2003 engine. This all goes by Mercruiser engine serial number and or GM block codes to what cam sensor is used.

Give me your engine serial number and I will look at to make 100 % sure what cam sensor you have.

Also if you own the early 496 you wont be screwed - If currently what I had made does not work correctly - I surely will have it remade to work correctly. Again the problem is testing them - I do not have an earlier 496 in my hands nor did I last year. Our area was hit with extreme flooding that knocked out boating 85% of last year. The company that made these sensors for me is located in the USA.

You are not screwed with owning an earlier 496. I already have or will have the part that is needed.

Last edited by BUP; 03-10-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My boat is a 2004. My engine, per Mercury on the engine information label on the heat exchanger, was manufactured 9/2003. My serial number OM683216, shows it taking the NLA sensor. However, that is not what is installed on the engine. He said everything is the '04 + setup. Said GM must have done a mid-year split due to parts availability. I will be taking a new '04 + sensor with me to verify when the engine is dyno'd here soon.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
It goes by GM block code on the bottom side of the block or Mercruiser engine serial number per which cam sensor gets installed. The reluctor on the cam gear was changed about 4 different times thru out the whole 496 timeframe (existence) The first 2 cam sensors are NLA.

Long story I will post this info down the road. I probably was one of the first back some years ago to discover about the cam sensor NLA for the marine side as the available cam sensor was totally wrong for the earlier apps.

Anyways I have no idea what GM or EBAY has to offer for mercruiser. Volvo went a different route. What I did years ago was a search thru Merc as to what dealers had cam sensors left sitting on their shelves but DID NOT tell them the reason why. These cam sensor were Merc part numbers not GM or anyone else. I bought as many I could at that time frame. So last year I was down to just 2 cam sensors so I decided to have them made again I only had 11 made and have no testing time with them. Another reason I had such a small number made was I wanted to test them before anything else.

I can careless what EBAY has because alot of marine ignition and marine electrical products are china junk copies even junk copied fuel injectors that either do not work or fail in sort order or do not perform like they should. I can not tell you how times I have seen bad ign modules or ign sensors or fuel injectors with bad spray patterns that the end user has bought off ebay.

Like I said I took 2 new KNOWN good cam sensors and tested them from Merc packages and sent them off along with 2 used KNOWN bad cam sensors.

It would be 100% very wise that I get test time from whoever and where ever before I just send them to you. I would never just assume that we are good to go without testing these plus I like to keep my name good out in the marine market place.

I can show up with them and scanner in hand. The problem is, have not had any early 496 in my hands since these were made. That would figure - just the way it goes.
John I have a good running 2002 MAG HO serial number 0M084xxx in my Velocity. I'm not sure what you have to do. I'm on Long Island.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 AM
BUP
Banned

K4M your engine is a 2004 - your serial was ahead of the NLA cam sensors.

Here is the deal Mercruiser 496 mag engine serial number 0M672041 - block code 4XW and above you are good to go but ORDER THE LASTEST CAM SENSOR THRU MERCRUISER ONLY. This cam sensor has changed 5 times now. DO NOT ORDER THIS ONLINE. They are clueless. So is the car stores. Do not order from Rock auto. Order thru a OEM Mercruiser dealer only or me. You will have a Warranty if something happens. Keep your receipt 4 ever.

Mercruiser 496 HO MAG - engine serial number 0M667238 - block code 4XA and up you are good to go - SAME JIST AS ABOVE. Do not mess around with cam sensors.

K4M your engine serial number is above these so you can and will use the latest cam sensor that is available thru Mercruiser. AGAIN - OEM MERCRUISER dealer or me.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 AM
BUP
Banned

John in New York you have the NLA cam sensor. What I have would take about 2 to 3 hours of test time. I triple check everything and would have my scan tools and meters. I would have to log everything and compare between your original sensor and then what I have. I also will need to measure them as well before we change out..Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
K4M your engine is a 2004 - your serial was ahead of the NLA cam sensors.

Here is the deal Mercruiser 496 mag engine serial number 0M672041 - block code 4XW and above you are good to go but ORDER THE LASTEST CAM SENSOR THRU MERCRUISER ONLY. This cam sensor has changed 5 times now. DO NOT ORDER THIS ONLINE. They are clueless. So is the car stores. Do not order from Rock auto. Order thru a OEM Mercruiser dealer only or me. You will have a Warranty if something happens. Keep your receipt 4 ever.

Mercruiser 496 HO MAG - engine serial number 0M667238 - block code 4XA and up you are good to go - SAME JIST AS ABOVE. Do not mess around with cam sensors.

K4M your engine serial number is above these so you can and will use the latest cam sensor that is available thru Mercruiser. AGAIN - OEM MERCRUISER dealer or me.
Cool. So BAM (mercruiserparts.com) has their serial number cutoffs wrong on their site. Happy as hell to hear it and verifies what the builder found when attempting to convert me over (needlessly as we know now). Builder also mentioned the book indicating my engine should have taken a single chain setup in regards to the timing chain but I have a double chain. He said you could source a new chain but not the gears. Weird...

Thanks for looking my serial number up and verifying thru Merc.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:24 PM
BUP
Banned

BAM has it in their notes CORRECTLY under your engine serial number - BAM site lists correctly and states base - 0M672041 and above - under block code 4XW. Your serial number is above - 0M683216 mercruiser model year 2004.

So I have to ask what or how did you see the serial number was wrong compared to what I posted. It shows the exact samething. Just asking ?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a BWD brand cam sensor available for the earlier 496. Chinese but it works. Installed several with no issues.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
John in New York you have the NLA cam sensor. What I have would take about 2 to 3 hours of test time. I triple check everything and would have my scan tools and meters. I would have to log everything and compare between your original sensor and then what I have. I also will need to measure them as well before we change out..Thanks
My boat is covered now and will be for a few more months. When the weather warms up we will see if you still need a guinea pig.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vortec Bandit
There is a BWD brand cam sensor available for the earlier 496. Chinese but it works. Installed several with no issues.
Do you know the part number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.