Notices

525s ?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I spent 12k on top end refresh last year for 2 motors. That's on the the high side but I have all the best parts available, not merc stuff. That's everything, springs, lifters, valves, rockers. Yours may not need everything but mine are ready for whipples. 525's are great motors, if your worried about headers just make the sale contingent on pressure checking them. They're very easy to check
Exactly what I paid and exactly what was done to mine. All preventative on my end and no issues at all.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I basically have to expect these costs if I buy this boat. Stainless Marine has headers for $3500 each plus Install charges.

Is sending them to CMI for repairs actually a viable option?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Threads like this make it pretty obvious...to me at least...why boats with Verados are getting so popular.
I'm bummed out after just reading some of your guys' experiences with 525s....and I didn't have to foot the bill!
I agree but keep in mind these engines are ten years old. Who has a car that is that old in perfect order? Verado's are awesome but they have their issues as well. A computer goes out (happens often) there goes 4k.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 95caliber
Sounds like I basically have to expect these costs if I buy this boat. Stainless Marine has headers for $3500 each plus Install charges.

Stainless marine requires new tails and you must modify (drill holes in heads) to use them. Not a huge deal, but know that going in. Hardin (I think) has a new system coming out in April which will be a direct replacement and will work with your old tails. That will be the way to go in the near future.

Yes CMI fixes these often and I have heard many good experiences with the process. Main thing is keep checking them while you own the boat.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 95caliber

Keep in mind you are hearing all the bad stories but there are a ton of 525's without issues a hundreds of hours..
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Quote Originally Posted by mike tkach View Post
joew,i never heard about rod bolt issues with the 525s.can you give more information about it?

I read about it from one of Eddie Young's posts before I purchased my boat. I think he has seen around 15 break in his time. That may sound like a lot, but I'd guess he does 30+ 525's a year (I have no idea) so that is only 5%+/- over ten years. That said, mercury used a cheaper rod bolt in the early years (say pre 07) which will snap off at the head of the bolt. Next thing you know you have the bottom half of the rod through your oil pan which sucked"

That's exactly what happened to mine!

Last edited by lslavick; 03-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good reading as I have a pair of 05's that haven't been touched with 180 hours , so all this is ahead of me . What I would like to know is how much hp diff. is there between the sweeper header and the e-top.........knowing full well the exhaust bolt locations in the head have to be moved and new tails made up but it would allow for other heads or engines in the future.

14,000 for two sets of headers doesn't seem realistic to me and in my case I have a set of e-tops and tails sitting in a boat going up for sale.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Usually the 250 to 400 hr range possible outdrive problems. Any 12 year boat - bellows, shift cable and its bellows, check engine alignment and u joints very closely and the water circ pump. Prob coolant flush & change as well
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by midwest272
Good reading as I have a pair of 05's that haven't been touched with 180 hours , so all this is ahead of me . What I would like to know is how much hp diff. is there between the sweeper header and the e-top.........knowing full well the exhaust bolt locations in the head have to be moved and new tails made up but it would allow for other heads or engines in the future.

14,000 for two sets of headers doesn't seem realistic to me and in my case I have a set of e-tops and tails sitting in a boat going up for sale.
Gen x's will cost you about 10-11. Sucks, but not 14. I have no idea on the e top vs. sweeper hp loss, but I'd expect no loss at all. I think I remember reading that the only loss from the sweeper to stainless marine was the bling. Horse power didn't change.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The 525 is a great engine. Pressure test the headers, which is easy to do. Valve springs, retainers and keepers at 400 hours due to the aggressive cam. I'd do a scan on the engines to see if they've had the snot run out of them. I would do a leakdown or compression test before purchasing in addition to the engine scan. My 525 has the newer CMIs and they are fine after 8 years of freshwater use.

I can't find the invoice now but my top end refresh with new springs, retainers and keepers along with leakdown test and visual inspection of valves, pistons and bores with a remote camera was under $1,000.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.