Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
True boater or boat owner? >

True boater or boat owner?

Notices

True boater or boat owner?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I forgot to mention that I did a Poker Run when my wife was due in 2 days with our 2nd daughter. She said go ahead, just keep your phone on!!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
90+ degree day and 3/4 of the boats are sitting in the marina, I never understood that.
I wake up at the dock and already trying to figure out where I`ll be going that day. Sitting at the dock is not for me. Seems the bigger the boat the less time it spend outside the marina.
If the beach is close I still do a hotlap and come back wishing it was further away.
My rule is never the same place more than 3 weekends in a row.
We usually run to the same island every weekend. Great island, good run time, and we all know to meet there.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

My boat spends the winter in Florida. I have convinced myself that it is actually cheaper to do this than store it 6 months for the winter in NJ. In reality, it does stay perfectly clean, prepped and ready to run (thanks to Ron Potter) but also it lets me keep boating all winter long. Yes I plan my summer around boating activities, my winter vacations are in Florida and revolve around boating and poker runs. I have no problem spending two weekends a year trailering my boat to and from Florida and have made 8 hour detours while trailering just to hit a new or different poker run. Yes I am a die hard boater. If I am not on the boat, I am planning the next run, ordering parts, scheduling stuff, etc.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:10 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
My boat spends the winter in Florida. I have convinced myself that it is actually cheaper to do this than store it 6 months for the winter in NJ. In reality, it does stay perfectly clean, prepped and ready to run (thanks to Ron Potter) but also it lets me keep boating all winter long. Yes I plan my summer around boating activities, my winter vacations are in Florida and revolve around boating and poker runs. I have no problem spending two weekends a year trailering my boat to and from Florida and have made 8 hour detours while trailering just to hit a new or different poker run. Yes I am a die hard boater. If I am not on the boat, I am planning the next run, ordering parts, scheduling stuff, etc.
Tom, I like it!

I'm thinking of leaving mine in FL this year after Key West. Seems like a good time winter boating in FL.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Anybody else's wife know how to rebuild a Holley ? Mine does. LOL.

Fact, early during our first year of dating, she stopped by while I was working on a pair of Dominators for some Merc525SC's. She grabbed one , asked and copied, while I worked on he other. She was way easier to teach than most guys I've tried to show/teach.
Post up some pics, we'll tell you if she's a keeper. Lol
Old 03-17-2016, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm a light sleeper so when I wake up in the middle of the night (such as now) I read about boats and browse eBay for them (even though I love mine and not in the market for another soon) until I go back to sleep.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm definitely a boater. We have the owners/ dockers here as well. My first couple of seasons they thought I was a drug smuggler. One asked my gf at the time if I was. I go down to the boat as early as possible. Get it ready and head off. I try not to return to the dock until it is dark. Then I pull it in cover it up and head home. They were surprised I didn't hang around the dock.
I have always had a boat in the family. I don't know what my dad and I would do if we didnt. He puts in just as much time in the garage working on my boats as I do. I thing the big is hereditary.

The woman that will come to the garage when your working on the boat, that's a keeper. This is the first spring for the new gf. This is usually when they leave. The typical, "you don't do anything other then work, side work, and work on the boat." This one has surprised me though. She came up and sat in the passenger seat and handed me tools while I was under the dash rewiring the boat. Then she asked if we were going on a date last Friday. I said as long as you consider Pizza in the garage while I work on the boat a date. Sure enough she even brought the pizza!

I swear my habit is a problem. I have it completely under control.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am a true boater. Growing up my dad always had boats, I have been boating since I was about 9 years old. Into my 20's I always had access to my dads Donzi so I never really needed to buy my own boat. I just got around to buying my first boat about a year ago, was going to do it a couple years before that but the wife and I found out she was pregnant so I put the boat on hold for 2 years. So now my task is to make my wife and daughter into true boaters, I think my daughter is already hooked and my wife seems to like spending time on the boat as well. Unfortunately life gets in the way of boating so work and other obligations come first. Living in the Chicago area I have many boating options within an hour or so of my home Lake Michigan, Lake Geneva, Chain of Lakes, the Illinois and Chicago River. Unfortunately living in Chicago only allows for about a 5 month boating season on average. The only good thing I can say about having a nice long winter is that it allows time for lots of DIY boat projects and modifications, as I posted in another I started thread I started this winter I painted and updated my trailer, upgraded my stereo/sound system and had new vinyl graphics designed and cut and installed them myself. The fact that I think tinkering around with my boat all winter is almost as cool as driving it should qualify me as a true boater.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I've been around runabouts and houseboats all my life. Fountain is tucked away until next month but I stay on the houseboat randomly year around.

Started my son out even better. 2 weeks old he was on the houseboat. Less than a month old on the fountain. Now he has stolen the captains chair so I have to stand up beside the wheel to drive. (2 summers ago)

Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

So that's why Fountain has the levers on the left side. Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.