Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Goodwin power looking good >

Goodwin power looking good

Notices

Goodwin power looking good

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

What are the drive, prop and crash box issues? Seriously with the acceleration I'm surprised the glass isn't coming out of the gauges.

Bills engines seem to hold up better than a 1500 race gas sterling. 75 hours is at least a routine rebuild or two if there are no big issues??

I do not mean to throw sterling under the bus on this, but don't know another builder that has built 1500+ engines year after year. His 1750/1900 have yet to be proven also but seem promising.

Last edited by tmmii; 03-09-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It amazes me how much knowledge “exotic power” guys bring to the table. It’s so much more than being able to just go out and purchase the power….you have to know the mechanics, the dos and don'ts, the signs of an issue and ultimately what action to take. I’d love to tell someone “if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleads off”. Now, are there any more questions? haha
Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORONE
Ethanol loses its octane pretty quickly(lots of studies on the subject) If you buy from a place that does lots of volume you usually don't have any issues.. I have internal and external knock meters, so if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleeds off.. My dashes tell me if I have any knock
That is cool
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo
It amazes me how much knowledge “exotic power” guys bring to the table. It’s so much more than being able to just go out and purchase the power….you have to know the mechanics, the dos and don'ts, the signs of an issue and ultimately what action to take. I’d love to tell someone “if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleads off”. Now, are there any more questions? haha
Agreed! That was a great answer. I know pure platinum was looking bad ass at Tickfaw last year. At least what I could see through all the scattered ass he had running around on that thing.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats to Goodwin & Pyburn for the successes that they have had thus far. Anyone who has built engines knows first hand that getting exotic hp numbers from even a BBC platform is tough enough, let alone designing something from scratch. The AEM is definitely a push in the right direction for this engine program.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best wishes to Goodwin, mad hardware indeed.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most of the people are really missing the point here...one of the most impressive benefits of this engine big cubic inch package is to deliver high power at low engine rpm. I recall Bill saying in another post that the boat cruises at something like 130 mph at 4500 rpm. With the power to turn that mph at that low of an engine rpm, you can reduce the piston speed which significantly decreases several characteristics that lead to pre-mature engine failure.

It's unarguable that the most destructive event on any engine is detonation. Being able to design/machine the ideal combustion chamber to reduce the likelihood of that is a great benefit. This combined with the processing speed and available logging inputs of cylinder pressure/knock and proactively triggering outputs like boost bypass from AEM are absolutely the best combination available today.

I researched every ecu on the market including all the exotics like McLaren, Cosworth/Pectel, Motec, and I am confident that AEM has the best combination product, value, and support. I have called there tech support line numerous times and you instantly get answers with very little hold time. They email you wiring diagrams if you have any questions. Not to say that the others aren't good, but the service/willingness to help has been impressive. Calling some of the others is a waste of time if your email address doesn't include BMW, Porsche, etc...

So I really give Bill and Goodwin credit for developing/marketing new technology and not accepting being hamstrung by the marine industry standard. It is not easy to gain the experince these guys have developed and people should applaud that.

Also, people on here shouldn't judge the success or failure of a project like this by the number of units sold. It has become a sad reality for me to see that over the past few years most the people that can afford/own these high end boats really don't care about the quality or technology. They have more money than common sense and/or no desire to educate themselves enough to understand engines; so mercury seems like a "safe bet" and will always sell more units than Goodwin. Meanwhile the boatbuilders/Mercury dealers keep making hand over fist selling/servicing them. It's a pretty sad cyclical cycle which is probably a significant part of the explosion of popularity in outboard boats. Also, maybe if Skater could finish a boat in less than a year and half, Goodwin would have more sales opportunities. Couldn't help myself from saying it.

Now if only we could see a Brummet vs Goodwin 388 skater shoot out....wouldn't that be fun?😁

Last edited by SME1; 03-11-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that would be fun.There is a shootout at Desert Storm April 30 and two,Brummitt powered skaters are entered.