Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I like the craftsmanship on the oil vent, but concerned that all the air being pulled by the motor will cause a vacuum in the block, and thereby drawing more oil in then would be used if there were no direct connection. Maybe if it had some kind of a slight restriction . Just a thought and I'm probably off base
I actually want it to create a vacuum. A lot of race cars have to add a vacuum pump but when you have a turbo they create vacuum that you can use. It will suck in more oil but it will not be enough to worry about the engine running out of oil. If I did not want the hose to be as compact I would have made some kind of catch can that drained back into the engine but I still would have hooked the breather line from it to the inlet of the turbo.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-vacuum-pump.jpg  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Thanks, didn't know that, now I know I was off base
Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
the water system is -20 AN fittings from the pickup all the way through to the exhaust. The only hose that is not a -20 hose was the piece I used as a seal between the blocks water inlet and the adapter I made.

We don't know if -20 will be enough water for to keep everything cool until we try it. The only thing that could cause it not to is the intercooler. Depending on how good the intercooler works will determine how hot the water is coming out of the intercooler and going into the engine. I could do the math on it but don't have time. We will just run it and see. If the intercooler heats the water up too much we will put another water pickup in the back and let it force feed the intercooler and then dump out the side.
He said, "but don't have time". lol
Old 10-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Crank case vent:

We did not have a crank case vent tube or breather on the valve cover like a stock valve cover would have so I took the fill cap and machined it for a -10 O-ring to -10 an fitting and then put a tiny hole in the back of the air cleaner and pushed a 180 degree push lock fitting into the hole in the rubber. The push lock ribs hold tight enough that I could not pull it back out. This way I will not have a catch can that I have to drain. Any oil that goes out the breather will be eaten by the turbo.
With all the EPA/clean air restrictions, why are the manufacturers allowed to dump overboard(all over the front of the engine, early Dodge, all over the front diff, late Dodge)? Does the "math"(lol0 say it's not good to reburn it, enough so that the tree hug....government allows dumping it?
With everything you've done this is next;
"I wanted to reuse the oil that comes out the vent so I just dry sumped the engines. The crankcase vent goes into the oil tank vent catch can. When the oil level gets high enough it triggers a float switch that opens a valve to dump the oil back into the tank".
Or,
"Change of plans. Wife's pregnant so I'll be building an 80' cruiser with a couple of these Cummins KTA50-M2-1600 Diesel Engine for Marine---Diesel Engine, Diesel Engine Parts, Generator set Exporter and one turbine for when conditions are perfect."
LOL
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably a good idea as those fittings might be to restrictive on a single cooling circuit especially by the time you add fuel coolers and steering cooler.

I went with the standard Cummins marine fuel coolers as they have 2" water hoses and a high water flow due to there design (no tubes).
Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are doing a great job, honey! I love you and I miss you!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Registered

We got both of them running a few hours ago at about midnight and still doing some tuning adjustments, electrical and gauges, but in a few hours were heading to the water to see if it will run. I was going to go ahead and head to the lake right now but its raining. I really don't care that its dark but the dark and rain is probably not a good idea. It will be raining in the morning but at least there will be light.
I put a video of them running on here but its not showing up on mine

Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engines-6.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engines-5.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 10-23-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TriPaC87
You are doing a great job, honey! I love you and I miss you!
everyone has a different idea of what dedication is but here is what I have done the last two weeks not counting the last couple years on this build.

i wanted to have the boat running before we left for key west because we will be gone for a few weeks and if the engines didn't work that will be a couple weeks they could be in shipping and being worked on so I knew they had to run by today.

I drove up here in our cargo/12 passenger van. There is a nice house where I normally stay that is only 15- 20 min away but I did not want to waste that much time each day driving so when I was leaving home Tristan took the seats out of the van and put me an air mattress in the back. I have worked on the boat all day and all night till at least 2:30 am every single night for two weeks, most of them till 3-3:30.am. Take a shower in the bathroom at skater and go outside and sleep in the van. Get up in a couple hours and repeat. Some of the nights it has gotten down in the low 40's and I always leave the windows cracked to get fresh air so it gets really cold in here but its only for a few hours and it lets me save time and I can work until I'm really tired and not have to worry about driving home. I could park it inside but I don't want to be breathing the fiberglass fumes anymore then I have too. The bad part is this is just an experiment, and we have no idea if the engines or anything else in the boat will work, but I keep working on giving it the best shot I can.
so I don't know what people call dedication but I think I'm pretty dedicated to getting this thing to run.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

everyone has a different idea of what dedication is but here is what I have done the last two weeks not counting the last couple years on this build.

i wanted to have the boat running before we left for key west because we will be gone for a few weeks and if the engines didn't work that will be a couple weeks they could be in shipping and being worked on so I knew they had to run by today.

I drove up here in our cargo/12 passenger van. There is a nice house where I normally stay that is only 15- 20 min away but I did not want to waste that much time each day driving so when I was leaving home Tristan took the seats out of the van and put me an air mattress in the back. I have worked on the boat all day and all night till at least 2:30 am every single night for two weeks, most of them till 3-3:30.am. Take a shower in the bathroom at skater and go outside and sleep in the van. Get up in a couple hours and repeat. Some of the nights it has gotten down in the low 40's and I always leave the windows cracked to get fresh air so it gets really cold in here but its only for a few hours and it lets me save time and I can work until I'm really tired and not have to worry about driving home. I could park it inside but I don't want to be breathing the fiberglass fumes anymore then I have too. The bad part is this is just an experiment, and we have no idea if the engines or anything else in the boat will work, but I keep working on giving it the best shot I can.
so I don't know what people call dedication but I think I'm pretty dedicated to getting this thing to run.

Tyson you are an animal. no way i could do this and not have to take a day or three off to re coupe.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to be like that getting whatever motorcycle I had ready for the May long weekends, in my Teenage years. This project of yours collectively blows the mind of everyone who reads it. I hope that this is a success for you. You certainly have earned it.... (Twice). I think I was emotionally affected when you had to start over on the driveline.
I still think you're the coolest... But I also still don't owe you money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.