Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 09-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Additive Manufacturing for any parts that can fit into the work envelope. Carry on...................................
Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

What's the pitch and ratio? Lol it takes a long time to hookup but once it goes, its definitely running along well.

congrats Tyson... had to be a good feeling looking back at that massive rooster tail

now I'd like to know, when it had the issues before was it rich or lean?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Madman7
Additive Manufacturing for any parts that can fit into the work envelope. Carry on...................................
can they handle 700C?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

cast iron exhaust manifold and turbine housing. They can handles it.

If you can figure out how to whittle something hollow id love to hear about it. Creating water jacket components isn’t easy.

'

Is there a way to wrap these pieces with something? Maybe theres a way to 3d print something to make a mold from.

Like I said hr, I'm not knowledgeable in mechanics at all but it looks like creating a component that alleviates the heat exposure would be worth the heartburn. Red glowing heat doesn't seem user friendly. JMO
Old 09-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

cast iron exhaust manifold and turbine housing. They can handles it.

If you can figure out how to whittle something hollow id love to hear about it. Creating water jacket components isn’t easy.
Have wrapped plenty of turbo's exhaust side with water jackets not hard and solves the glowing red hot, you do give up spool doing so, as you are greatly cooling down the thermal efficiency of the hot gases getting compressed.

As for AM of parts, we just recently in house printed both a alum 3cyl head and a turbo manifold(in Inconel) not cheap but can be done.

I believe Tyson even said farther back that once he gets everything dialed in he will water cool things.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
Have wrapped plenty of turbo's exhaust side with water jackets not hard and solves the glowing red hot, you do give up spool doing so, as you are greatly cooling down the thermal efficiency of the hot gases getting compressed.

As for AM of parts, we just recently in house printed both a alum 3cyl head and a turbo manifold(in Inconel) not cheap but can be done.

I believe Tyson even said farther back that once he gets everything dialed in he will water cool things.
The glowing red parts just made me ask. I would likely spend a lot of my time in that longgggggggggggggg boat ride thinking about those parts. Just sayin
Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700

what printer?
Old 09-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe
The glowing red parts just made me ask. I would likely spend a lot of my time in that longgggggggggggggg boat ride thinking about those parts. Just sayin
many trucks and cars come with factory turbo's now that do the same thing. including semi's. they all do the same thing and last 100's of thousands of miles. i dont think he will have a huge problem
Old 09-29-2018, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

It’s been awhile since I posted but here is the video a few were just talking about, I was going out to test and a few guys we’re at a new restaurant on the water in saugatuck that I was going to have to pass On the way out to the main lake, so I told them to come out to the dock and go with us. When we went to get on plane the engines start screaming from the turbos ect and I think it scared them. My plan was to go out and run back and forth wide open until it blew up or got too dark to run any longer, it actually lived till it was dark and then we drove it in still running. The turbos and manifolds have heat blankets on them but there were some small gaps which is where you see it glowing.

I’ve been busy with the race boat but next week I will post more about what happened the last month trying to run it.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 AM
ben
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Any updates?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.