Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
So are we upto real time photos at this point in the thread?
Pretty much, I kind of got out of order with posting the photos so there are a few other things I will try to dig through my photos to post that might be interesting to some people. I drove home yesterday to finish machining the transmission parts and some different seat brackets. And I found some old race boat exhaust in there barn that I brought home to try to use to make the tail pipe from turbo out the back of the boat. This was two pieces that I have tacked together at the top in the middle. I will have to cut the outside jacket back an inch and weld the inside pieces together and then weld a sleeve on the outside. I will leave a dam in the water jacket up most of the way to the top so it will force water up and not get an air pocket. I will have to cut off and turn the water hose inlets a different direction. And fill in a few of there fittings that I will not need, put a different flange on the front to clamp to the turbo. Then extend the outlet about 6" to go through the transom out the back of the boat. Besides all that work these were pretty much perfect. They go out the turbo and go up to right under the deck to get the most height we can get then swoop back down to make a vertical wall inside there that the water would have to climb to get into the engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553076[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553077[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-exhaust-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-exhaust-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-exhaust-5.jpg  

Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are you looking at as far as a timeline to trying the around the world run? I know you said testing and tuning this summer so are you thinking as early as next year or more like a few years out? Looking forward to following your progress. Also as far as all the plugs and air bags to keep her afloat in case something bad happens just bring a case of flex seal lol. Obviously I'm kidding
Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

I wanted to do this for the exhaust but Pete said no....

how cool would this be in the turbine boat with the flames coming out the dragons mouth..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553089[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-exhaust-6.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat

how cool would this be in the turbine boat with the flames coming out the dragons mouth..

That would establish a new bar for coolness should anyone pull that off!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete can be such a killjoy sometimes....
Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

maybe if it was a Honda civic
Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

I was not going to be able to through bolt the bilge pump so I bent and milled a piece of aluminum that has a flat to glue to the wall and a notch for the t-clamp to go through it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553099[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553101[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553102[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553103[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-bilge-pump-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-bilge-pump-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-bilge-pump-6.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-bilge-pump-7.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-bilge-pump-8.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking at those fittings that go onto the sea strainers I would image the id is fairly restrictive, I think your idea of running the charge cooler on a separate water pickup and strainer is a wise choice to increase flow to the motor, my Nortech was rigged this way when it had blower motors.
What about corrosion if you are going raw water cooled, is the billet hardware more resilient than cast aluminium or is the exposure duration to salt water not going to be long enough to worry about.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Looking at those fittings that go onto the sea strainers I would image the id is fairly restrictive, I think your idea of running the charge cooler on a separate water pickup and strainer is a wise choice to increase flow to the motor, my Nortech was rigged this way when it had blower motors.
What about corrosion if you are going raw water cooled, is the billet hardware more resilient than cast aluminium or is the exposure duration to salt water not going to be long enough to worry about.
The billet aluminum we are using is a lot better then what they make cast out of. The water passage ways of the aluminum have a hard coat that salt will not eat. It is not a cruiser or pleasure boat owned by someone more interested in going to the bar when he puts his boat up then flushing it and cleaning everything. We will also spray everything down with a coating to prevent corrosion everytime we take it out.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds well sorted, engines should be a breakthrough in diesel applications, what will the TBA be in 1200hp configuration?

Are the transmissions multi speed? what about driveline UJ or CV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.