Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
thats similar to the method i use. Whenever i work on my boat in my shop or in the water weather it be an oil change or a full engine/drive r&r i use only the tool bag i have on the boat. I use only tools i have on board and add or subtract as necessary and through time you develop a very linear set of tools that will cover all bases. I also add other specific items that i see as necessary.

great great thread . . . .
I think my boat tool bag has somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 5/16" nut drivers lol
Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=glassdave;4421046]thats similar to the method i use. Whenever i work on my boat in my shop or in the water weather it be an oil change or a full engine/drives are the tool bag i have on the boat. I use only tools i have on board and add or subtract as necessary and through time you develop a very linear set of tools that will cover all bases. I also add other specific items that i see as necessary.

For me I make sure I have three things at all times. #1 beer #2 charged cell phone #3 my boat us tow card lol the phone to call boat us and the beer to drink why I wate and diring the tow back to the dock lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I needed to plug this 1 1/4" pipe thread fitting on the sea strainer. Instead of just using that size plug I used a reducer then a 3/4" pipe thread plug. That way if I'm in a hurry and need to use that fitting for something but only need a little hose hooked to it I don't need to try to adapt down from the big fitting and if I need the bigger fitting I just take the whole thing out. Basically gives me options.

This brings up another thing I have done.. Nerd level 3.8 I have a list of every tool that I have used to put something in the boat. When I am in the middle of the ocean I will need to have every tool available to work on the boat that was used to build it. I will have all the normal tools but then there might be somewhere that the only way I can get a bolt out is with 2 - 9/16" open end wrenches. Most people would only have one of each size tool. And this fitting was a good example of why I needed the list. I doubt there is anyone on here that has a 9/16" Allen wrench in there boat tool bag.
Obviously you and Chris have done this several times now and thought this through and decided how you are going to do things for a reason. That being said is it possible for you to standardize fittings and fasteners so that you need less tools to work on everything? Seems like a ¾ plug with a hex head would be easier and more standard to work on than an one with a recessed allen head. Not saying what you are doing is wrong just what went through my head reading your post. Maybe it is possible but cost and or time prohibitive.

Drives me crazy working on american cars and you need four different tools to remove a panel under the dash.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Obviously you and Chris have done this several times now and thought this through and decided how you are going to do things for a reason. That being said is it possible for you to standardize fittings and fasteners so that you need less tools to work on everything? Seems like a ¾ plug with a hex head would be easier and more standard to work on than an one with a recessed allen head. Not saying what you are doing is wrong just what went through my head reading your post. Maybe it is possible but cost and or time prohibitive.

Drives me crazy working on american cars and you need four different tools to remove a panel under the dash.
Yes, we have tried to standardize most of the stuff. Oversizing hoses and bolts on some stuff to try to make more things the same size. I did not have a hex head plug that size but we will have a crescent wrench so that would be easier. Thanks, now you made me drive to lowes.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Absolutely it is possible. Many large sport fish and yachts have a similar set up to use the mains as emergency crash pumps. It can even be as easy is closing the through hull and cutting the water intakeline to have it suck water from the bilge.
Taking this further, let's assume the hull breach occurs in some very dicey seas. Would you want a method to divert the intake without opening the engine compartment?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Tyson
Looking at the photos of your drive setup would you not have been better off using the longer ASD8 stern tubes to help get the props running in cleaner water, this also helps to run the drives flatter as the water leaves the transom on an upward angle or around 2 degrees.
Are you planning on using any sort of trim tabs?
Water intakes look small 1 1/4 ? I ran in a diesel Skater with 750hp 1 1/4 water intakes like yours and in the turns it caveated cooking one motor, those big diesels normally need a lot more water flow than a gas motor especially if they are close water cooled, I am running 2" all the way to the pumps with 1000hp diesel a side.

Last edited by 999JAY; 03-28-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Taking this further, let's assume the hull breach occurs in some very dicey seas. Would you want a method to divert the intake without opening the engine compartment?
Yes that would be better, but anything we add is something that can fail when its not needed or could fail when its needed. We have several ways to plug holes, everything from foam tapered boat plugs to rubber mats that sit on the outside. We have inflation bags to lift the hull and 6 electric bilge pumps, and two hand bilge pumps. There are several things that could happen that would make anything we do not enough and sink the boat. So we are doing the best we can keeping in mind that weight matters, and reliability matters.

We are having the hatches open toward the outside to block water from coming in when the boat is rocking side to side in big seas. There will be a rubber seal that attaches to the bottom edge of the hatch and to the boat to cover the gap between hatch and boat and I'm trying to come up with a way to block the front and back triangles between the hatch and boat. If I had something like a nylon that would kind of stretch and fill in a foot of the gap between hatch and boat it would block the water coming down the deck from just running into the engine compartment and block the back outside corner too.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Tyson
Looking at the photos of your drive setup would you not have been better off using the longer ASD8 stern tubes to help get the props running in cleaner water, this also helps to run the drives flatter as the water leaves the transom on an upward angle or around 2 degrees..
These are the drives off of one of my other boats so it's a lot cheeper just to use them.

Are you planning on using and sort of trim tabs?.
no we will not have trim tabs.

Water intakes look small 1 1/4 ? I ran in a diesel Skater with 750hp 1 1/4 water intakes like yours and in the turns it caveated cooking one motor, those big diesels normally need a lot more water flow than a gas motor especially if the are close water cooled, I am running 2" all the way to the pumps with 1000hp diesel a side.
They are 1 1/4" but we don't have closed cooling so we don't need as much cooling. I have a water crossover from the bottom of each sea strainer to try to keep flow and pressure the same between both sides. If we have a problem getting enough water we will change the intercooler to another pickup and just use this one for the engine. The pickups I have are adjustable in height so we will play with the height and try to get them set where we have enough water pressure but not too much when were going fast. It will probably be a different setting for endurance runs when were not going to be going as fast to poker runs and shootouts where we don't want the drag or high pressures.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered

Fresh water flush hose hook up. It has a check valve to keep water from going into engine compartment if you forget to put cap back on and to keep pressure spikes from hitting plastic cap. It is hooked to the water crossover that hooks to the bottom of the sea strainers. By hooking to the engine side of sea strainer basket it will push debris back out the pickup. We will have an electric water pump in the boat so maybe have some way to hook it up and backflow it if we need to out in the middle of the ocean.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553048[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-flush-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-flush.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are we upto real time photos at this point in the thread?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.