Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The Simrad wiring is getting a little closer, there are wires that will end up in this bundle once it's in the boat so I will wait till then to make it look good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 05-09-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Registered

In the above pic I had the wire bundle going to the right off the board, I decided to put the panel on the other side of boat so I had to undo the bundle and change all the wiring to the opposite direction.

I am mounting all the electrical equipment to 1/2" Plastic. I drilled holes through the center bulkhead in front of windshield and took 6" long pieces of 3/8" all thread and ground flats on two sides for the middle inch of all thread then mixed up some thick resin/fiberglass and squished it in the holes with the all thread sticking out each side and put big washers and locknuts on each side. The thick resin will act like a wrench on the flats keeping the all thread from turning so I can put lock nuts on from either side without someone else having to be on the other side holding a wrench. There are a lot of components that needed mounted and I did not want to have to drill all those holes in the bulkhead so all the equipment is through bolted to the plastic and then there are just six bolts holding it to the bulkhead. I will have a wire loop so I can pull the panel off the wall to take pieces off if needed. And as equipment changes I can make a new panel instead of drilling more holes in the boat. The panel also has a little bit of flex to absorb some of the high frequency vibration from the props hitting the water.

All the screw crosses line up the same direction and the zip ties are not measured to be same spacing but they are close enough and the zip ties are clocked the same direction.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-bolt-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-simrad-wiring-2.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 05-09-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat

"............the zip ties are not measured to be same spacing but they are close enough........."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555187[/ATTACH]
Close enough? Never thought I'd read that on here! Lol

Sensational build, your attention to detail is almost unbelievable. Thanks again for the posting.

RR
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this would have accomplished the same thing for you but we'd mount electrical panels (back in the dual MSD / Rev Limiter days) in the same vertical position on an aluminum panel w/ 4- hood pins where the panel had 4- grommets in the 4- corners to help dampen the vibration. Hood pins wouldn't be long enough in your application but you could still mount on your threaded rod, drill holes in the end of the rod then use quick pins or hair pins to be able to remove the panel to work on it.

Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Not sure if this would have accomplished the same thing for you but we'd mount electrical panels (back in the dual MSD / Rev Limiter days) in the same vertical position on an aluminum panel w/ 4- hood pins where the panel had 4- grommets in the 4- corners to help dampen the vibration. Hood pins wouldn't be long enough in your application but you could still mount on your threaded rod, drill holes in the end of the rod then use quick pins or hair pins to be able to remove the panel to work on it.

Just a thought.
We did the same with my CZone and electronics on my build.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I need my Skater build fix.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

The engine room air intake/exhaust. I wanted to have the air intake for the engine room as high and towards the center as I could get so that if we are in big water taking waves over the sides the water would not be able to just go right in a blower scoop into the engine compartment. The hatches have no holes in them and will have a D Seal that will make them water tight. This was part of the reason for the shark fin on the back of the boat (and radar mount).

Pics - trying to figure out the shape and size I wanted- making the trim ring- laser cut the perforated stainless(we went with this size of hole from putting different size hole patterns in front of a big fan and checking air speed through them. The open area percentage is not as much as some of the smaller patterns we tried but skin effect made a huge difference with the smaller holes and would not hardly flow any air.)- using a roller to get the material close to the shape- marking where to cut the shark fin- temporarily installed.

The pieces are at an electro polisher so even the inside of the holes will be polished. When I get it back I will see how it looks and once the windshield and everything else is on we may decided to black chrome the pieces and paint the stripe connecting them into a black band around the shark fin. when I get them on I will put that on here for debate.

Things to note- The hole pattern is level to the middle of the center piece and the back piece hole patterns line up with the holes at the back edge of the front piece. There is a divider wall between the air in and out that follows up from the brace in the engine compartment to force the air through the engine room then back up and out. I have a little shelf on the divider to catch water that comes in from the front and there will be a little hole out the side of the fin to drain it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555504[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555510[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-4.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-6.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-8.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-10.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-12.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-14.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-air-16.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 05-13-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Is that the only heat extraction for the engine compartment also?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asking the important question here; What is the boat's name?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 797 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredd
Asking the important question here; What is the boat's name?
My vote is for

THE ENDURANCE PROJECT

Fits for multiple reasons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.