Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
18' powerplay hull expectations.. >

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Notices

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Old 02-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Thanks foul.. Yeah I did realize that everything has to go up when changin the X. I'll have to probably put a scoop on the hatch, but hey that will be good cause it will suck the bikini tops right of the hotties in the back seat

I'll let you know what I find out whitey.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Registered

Travis, if you are going to have the hole recut perhaps you should think about a B1.
Food for thought..Dwight
Old 02-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

traviss: when did my transom i used cardboard to make some patterns. i hate to say that fouls idea is a good one someone i would think would give you a cutout. be sure to use a top quality glass / mat. that is a lot of work and you sure want it to hold up. good luck.
todd
winter sucks!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whitey
Travis, if you are going to have the hole recut perhaps you should think about a B1.
Food for thought..Dwight

It has went through my mind, but the funds are not here LOL! Long as I can keep the alpha together I will run it, the aplha wieghts less and is less drag then the bravo, So long as I don't break it, I am still ahead of the game.. i think

Baron. If it comes down to doing it I will pay a top notch person to do it. i don't want a botch job. I don't have the patience myself to do the glass work. Least I can blame the person who redid it

lookin into the future... If i had a real job. 1000 hp Naturally aspirated small block
Old 02-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Hell, that was like 7 years ago... I have it written down somewhere though.

We did it like this travis:

Called Baja and they were kind enough to send me the cutout from a transom. We then glassed that piece back in place, gelled, and re-cut the holes. Worked well. You might see if anyone has the piece that gets cut out...
You really don't need the transom cut-out piece from a boat factory. Simply screw & glue(with epoxy glue) two pieces of 3/4" plywood(A-C fir is fine) together. Do not use pressure treat, as polyester resin does not adhere to it very well. Hold it up to your exsisting transom hole & trace it out. Cut it with a good jig-saw. Coat it with ONE coat of regular polyester resin. Set it in place in the center of the thickness of your exsisting transom with epoxy putty. Slower curing epoxy is generally alot stronger(in other words...24 hour cure time epoxy). Fill & grind again, any voids or high spots to create a semi-smooth hole to apply your first layers of glass. Wipe or blow off all dust always, before fiberglassing. Grind(feather) out onto your original transom area a couple inches to allow your future glass application to adhere, both inside & out side. Best to start with just fiberglass mat material first. 1 1/2 oz. mat is best, but if only 3/4 oz. is available, simply add a couple more layers. A throw-away 2" brush can be used to work all the air out. Two layers are fine to start. Let dry & grind smooth in between applications. Finish with 1708-Biax or other simular glass. A flush surface is your finished goal, on both sides. Have fun! Ed
Old 02-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Travis, a blackhawk and some rocker would make a sweet setup

I always wondered what Todd and Kevin were up to these days.
I ordered a 1990 230 from them and specified that the stripes had to be dark blue and black. BLACK?????? was what came back from them. I insisted and they finally agreed but were unhappy because puke green, pink and pale pastels were the colours of choice at that time( dates the hulls doesn't it?) I was extatic with the finnished product and pounded the hell out of that boat for 10 years, several engines, each a little hotter than the last. Finally gave up after the 540 would only get her to 68 no matter what I tried. I de powered it back to 350hp and sold it to a friend. Its 14 now and still strong as can be. Not a spider crack anywhere and over 1000 hrs on it. Interior held up very well and is still original except for one small repair made to the hatch upholestry.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Yep the hottubbing did me in.but I,m back.My brother was in town for the boatshow so i asked him a few questions about the BARONS.He said there were only 18 of them built with probaly 15 of them going to ST CLAIR SHORES in DETROIT.There is a guy on the DONZI site that goes by the name BADASSBARON who just bought his second one and knows about quite a few of them in that area.The construction quality is equal to the powerquest ,but the hardware and other stuff is cheap junk on them.Would make a good minimalistic go-fast though with out cutting up your nice powerquest.The price range shoud be in the 2500 to 4500 range from what i got from BADASS.There is one in detroit that we built that is still around that BADASS looked at that we put in the LT-1 TRS package.What i would like to do to mine is flip it over and straighten the bottom out just a hair and add a pad by just squaring off that rounded bottom and blending it forward about 7 feet.If you look at the old 21 scarab bottom that is what i would do and it would help with the x-dimension.When i owned baronmarines boat i flipped it over and straightened out the bottom by taking just a little bit of the rocker out and this helped in the really rough stuff.I still beleive that the ARNESON or a blackhawk would be free speed.BARONMARINEs boat with the ARNESON and a crappy 3 bladed prop and a mild 400 does 75 ,and look what the ARNESON did for the performance of GEO'S DONZI and the DONZI bottom has a lotta hook in it.I'm going for the BLACKHAWK with a mild 350.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Hey baronmarine know you have not seen me in a lotta years so if you go to the thread that is MIAMI BOAT SHOW THURSDAY NIGHT GETTOGETHER and go to post 286 and the third picture down is me and my girlfriend KIKA.I don't remember why the guy is trying to kiss me in this pic,but i don't remember much from this nite,what a blast !I, ll try to get to my old house and take some pics of my old trailer queen to post .Woogie you having any luck digging up those videos?Baronmarine if your truly sick of winter why don't you fly your ass down here at least for the weekend,tickets are cheap enough.We have a guest bed and bath, and if you wanted to bring the kids we have a pullout in the study.Heck I'll even let you use my truck while your here.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-22-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

monza: a pad with a merc i/o would make a huge inprovement but i woulded go 7' long. the pad i did is about 3'-4' x 3 - 4" not enuff boat in the water at speed for 7'. by the way that mild 400ci is a stroker 383 ci. i think a blackhawk would be great on a baron or powerplay because of the bow lift lost on the surface drive.
todd
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Well ESCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEE!

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-22-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.