Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
18' powerplay hull expectations.. >

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Notices

18' powerplay hull expectations..

Old 02-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

the baron has the fuel tank in the bottom not in the nose. and my baron with the merc drive did not chinewalk. with the surface i now have a 3" x 3' pad on the bottom.
FountainCS: what you said about getting a little rough. the baron seem to run in that water better then the powerplay it is a little heavyer. i am not dogging on powerplay's. i have a lot of friends that have owned them and still have them. i think they are great boats.
woogie: hope to see you at the lake this summer. maybe after the poker run or sunday i'll be around all day. i'll post before those 2 weeks to all oso'ers and poker runners.
todd
Old 02-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only bad thing about my play is that the fuel tank is in the bow. SO much wieght in the bow, it sucks. I would like to relocate to the floor if I get the time.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

18' classic weight is 2700 lbs dry
18'5" powerplay is 2650 lbs dry

Don't know what the barons weight is..
Old 02-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

The problem with chine walk is a trim problem. I have spent hundreds of hours in this design and have never had a problem in almost every type of conditions.This design has a lot of built in rocker in the bottom that carries the boat at a perfect running atttitude with just level trim.No need to overtrim unless you want to get wacky and have some fun and loosen the boat up .Like Travis said you gotta get to know the boat.Baronmarines boat with the Arneson is the way to go with this boat ,the way it rides so level it is night and day between an outdrive.I personally would lke to try a BLACKHAWK drive on mine.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-19-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great reading!
Old 02-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice XLTs guys! Hey Woogie, I'm surprised I haven't met you, as I'm also a friend of the madman that used to run "White Knuckles." That boat was always running right on the ragged edge. Funny story about the oil pan and the circles, I'd never heard that one beore. I'll keep an eye out for you guys this summer.

I'm about done with this snow, c'mon spring I need to splash my Donzi.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails 18' powerplay hull expectations..-hardcandy-air.jpg  
Old 02-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Registered

Nice Donzi tamburello - that italian windshield looks great. Ever run with Sweet 16 from over at Lake Ranch?- strong runner. The "madman" So descriptive! I live down the street from Michaels Uncle Rich and Bernie. The old folks would say " he is such a fine young man but when he gets in that boat something happens to him". He sure could put on a show!! Absolutely on the edge at all times in that boat! What was so funny was back then there was'nt that many boats running almost 80 and he would race all the bigger hulls like it was a Sampon and Goliath thing for him. Tried to call him to get some pics but constantly busy. We will keep an eye open for you this summer.
? about gas tanks on xlt - why does the hull run better if the tank is moved farther back from the bow. At 70 there is only a foot of the hull in the water. Just wondering because I kind of like that extra 200lbs in the bow when running in Lk.MI chop. How did the Baron handle with the tank in back compared to in the bow? Anyone know why pp moved it up front? Also do trim tabs add any positive results to this hull design?
-Joe
Old 02-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

woogie: powerplay placed the tank in the front to kept it down in bigger water.the p.p. also has some hook on the bottom and the baron has more rocker. and yes tabs make a huge differts on that hull. with the merc on mine i moved them low on the vee. but now with the surface drive on i moved them up. great picture's i remeber looking at powerplays in grand rapids at dry land marina. top quality every screw on the rub rail all faced the same way. what color and scheme is yours?
todd
Old 02-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

PowerPlay sure was a great boat when Todd owned the company!
I have Friends that own powerplays build back in 1989/1990
and I owned a 1995 290 and now own a 1999 290 no question the Todd Kemp era boats were much better.
Is todd build boats any more??
Old 02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

With the tank in the bow,I can notice a big differance in performance and ride when it is full and empty. When its full the trim will only lift the bow so far, when its near empty a little trim does alot. When mine is full or atleast half full when landing its always landing hard. When near empty she will glide and land almost flat, maybe a little on the ass, i prefer landin ass first then bow first In the big chop i'll run 50-60 and it will just skip off the top of the waves. plus when I try to get it on the trailer, full tank, bow is to low and heavy, hard to get on trailer good, empty tank and its a whole different world. I usaully only keep 8-12 gals in the tank most of time. Gotta be on the light side when those big blocks come to pick on ya

with a good swat to the throttle I can't stand it on the tailpipes its part of the whole alpha test

Last edited by traviss; 02-19-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 18' powerplay hull expectations..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.