Notices

Oil leal in lower unit

Old 09-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leal in lower unit

My sisters boat has a oil leak. It has a alpha 1 and the other day she noticed oil coming from the lower unit behind the prop. It is all stock with stock thru hub exhaust. The oil reservoir was low so i told her she probably needs to have the gearcase re-sealed.
Is it ok to run it like it is for the next few month?
i told her she should check the oil level everyday she uses it.
please give me your advice

thanks
Rick
Old 09-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

oil can get out of the prop seal, but worse water can get in. needs to be fixed right away.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally posted by SABER28
oil can get out of the prop seal, but worse water can get in. needs to be fixed right away.
I agree. Its not worth it to wait on fixing it. A little water getting in could ruin the drive.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:26 PM
Winni

I've got a 4.3 V-6 with hub exhaust in a 89 Baja Sport 190 with 195 hrs on it. At 170+- hrs, I noticed oil coming from the lower unit. The local shop told me to get it repaired right off as water can get in and ruin the bearings and more $$ for the job. I pulled the unit off last winter and had the shop do the work. Reseal of the lower unit, grease the gimble bearingre-install it and tested it. Price: $475.00, Catch it when you can so the price doesn't go any higher.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

I see alot of these come in to the marina, it's usually the rear propshaft seal gone bad, or occasionally a cracked rear bearing carrier. Either one is not a big deal to fix. If they have the part in stock it's a quick fix, and not too expensive. The seal is cheap, a carrier with seal in my 2.4 was just over $100 for the part. I would suggest having it fixed right away, if oil can get out, water can get in, and that can be very, very costly, if not lubricated properly, ie watery oil, the drive will explode, or all the bearings may get trashed, or a bunch of other possibilities including a complete rebuild needing done, not to mention possible problems down the road if it gets rusty in there. Dont count on insurance for that bill either. The insurance would say owner neglegence and refuse the claim. Dont use it until it's fixed, and if it is sitting in the water, get it out. A classic case of a little now, or alot later.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 09-24-2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Registered

Default FIX IT NOW

An Alpa I Drive has a S*@Tload of seals. If it's coming from behind the prop, it could be the propshaft seal. There is a seal with a lip facing in (to hold in gear lube) and one facing out (to keep the water out) - If I recall correctly. However, since the drive has multiple seals, even a seal, or o-ring from the waterpump housing base could cause it to look like there is a leak from behind because the fluid can leak down through the middle of the drive (where the exhaust vents), onto the bearing carrier, and out by the prop -

It's been a while since I did one of these, but just letting you know that it could be more than just the propshaft seal.

If she does have the seals replaced, make sure she gets the outer seal with the metal ring (sometimes referred to as the "fishline cutter") This ring is supposed to protect the seal. It doesn't take more than a bit of fishing line to work it's way up the propshaft and trash a seal, which can cause water to get in, or lube to get out...........either one can put an end to your fun quickly. I think this is the recommended seal now-a-days, but they I have seen them without in the past.

Just thought I'd put in my 2 Cents worth.

RJ
Old 09-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

Default Spelling

Meant Alpha 1, not Alpa 1 - - - Where's the spellcheck