Notices

Being Boatless

Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Feeling the boat less pain lately after selling my dad's 25 feet Senator Council.it was way too handy having it dry stacked a mile from the house. 14 years of good fun though.

I have one of our 18 foot hot rods that we used to build but it has been years and it needs a full resto and I neither have the funds or place to do it currently.

Thank god I have many many friends with boats, But there is nothing better than taking the helm of your own boat ,whether it is a 12 footer with a 15 horse or a Beak Boat with some skanks and worn out 330s in it.

When ever I see someone getting out of boating on this site they are usually ditching some monster money sucking 40 footer with big power.

My thought is buy a 18 foot Donzi. All the fun ,all the style, and dirt cheap to own and run.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
Rob, I didn't sell the boat to get a John Deere. I sold it because it would nice to have money. To invest my money wisely and let it grow.

F *#CK IIIIT!!!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Wrong thread.

Last edited by tommymonza; 03-20-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past summer I sold both of my boats and was power boat less for the first time in 15 years (I don't count the sunfish ). It was a really hard summer for us, lucky I knew a few people who had boats so I could borrow some and spend time on the water. Mid summer my brother and I went in on a cheap pontoon and rebuilt the seats, motor, deck and got on the water by the end of summer. In December I bought my hustler. I just picked up an 200hp outboard so now I got to find a hull to put it on! From zero to 2.5 boats!

It is too much of our ways of life to be without one. I felt lost with no boats and spend way too much time looking for new ones. And I'm still always looking! It's an obsession.

Find a smaller, cheaper boat to get out on the water again and save your pennies until you can get back into it!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had boats for 30+ years. Sold my 336 Formula 2 years ago (Member here) and spent that last 2 years remodeling the house and sprucing up the grounds. Promised myself when all was done (To wifes satisfaction) I would buy another. Picked up a sweet 21' Cat to play with this year. Did I miss the boat??? Hell yes, but the old Nag became the sweetheart I married again.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While were confessing. After 27 years of 5 different boats and a corvette in the garage, I sold them in
2014. I live across from a small lake and get to go out as much as I want. Buddy keeps his boat
On my street. Must be getting old.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Needless to say I'm lucky that my Dad has a boat that I can drive in. It's an 18' Checkmate. When I use my Dad's boat I go boating for 30 miles each time I'm out in it.

If I should ever get back to having a boat again. It'll be a performance boat that's 22' or smaller. Which would be ideal for where my parents have there lake house at.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 03-20-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've went through several boats over the past few years, and the one smaller boat that I wish I still had is my XLT-185. They're all you really NEED for an inland lake, even though most of us end up with twofootitis. No big power, Alpha drives, capable of high 50's, a sunpad for the women, and a great hull.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5498468487.html
http://holland.craigslist.org/boa/5485959306.html
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bod/5487733136.html

We're going to end up turning your boatless thread into a buying guide!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've been a boater ever since I was 12 and my parents bought a 15' Arkansas Traveler w/40hp Johnson, it was the mid 60s and I was hooked, bought my first boat when I was 21yo and had seven boats since then, somehow they just keep getting bigger.

Other than a ten sint from the mid 80s to mid 90s when I had to sell so I could get away from my first Wife, I've alwyas had a boat, it killed me to go to the LOTO without a boat, those days were like torture.

We've had this 353 for almost 15 years and I tried to sell it, but it's been such a good running perfect boat I just haven't been able to let it go, it's the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it, that's me.

I have this nightmare that whatever I buy will be a money pit and I'll be kicking myself in the azz, boats can be a PITA, but they're also the most relaxing enjoyable times I've had in my life with friends and Family.

Hope things work out for you quickly so you can get back into a new ride, good luck.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have to explain it, you're trying to convince yourself.

It's okay to take a few years off. Life is lived more than 4-5 years at a time. I sold my boat, truck etc. in 2010 for pennies on the dollar. Made it back at closing on a good house buy and many times over with renovations and other smart time off. Spent 5 years playing house and kids and now back playing with a boat stress free. If the money and expense is what stresses you out, as it did me, it's time for a break not to quit.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.