Notices

Being Boatless

Old 03-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up around the chain o lakes. My brother and I bought our 1st boat when I was 12. 1972 welcraft tri-hull, we rebuilt and ran that boat for a few years. We moved through a few boats over the next 10 years and then girlfriends came, that turned into wives. I got out of it for awhile but as the kids got older I wanted them to have the experience that I had growing up around here. Damn craigslist sucked me back in about 6 years ago with a 4000.00 mirage 217. Then seeing how much my wife missed it and the kids enjoyed it.... now it's grown to 30ft and twins (292 formula).

I have always bought my toys right. Never over pay or go deeper than you can get out of in a hurry. There is nothing worse than having to get rid of a toy in a fire sale, but to loose money on it stings even more.

My brother....no desire to get a boat again. He doesn't understand the addiction anymore.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Old 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also lucky to have friends that own boats as well. As I mentioned earlier my Dad owns one as well. At least I can still get out on the water. He lets me drive his boat. He knows and trusts me with his boat. I also put gas into it when ever I use it. Which is nice. My Dad very much so appreciates it.

After having my boat on consignment I did pretty decent. I had the boat for 3 years. Only loosing $5,500 in 3 years not bad. Had I would've sold it myself only $2,500 loss. I'm glad I went with consignment. Grand Sport Center did a wonderful job of selling my boat. I would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 03-20-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Stream
This past summer I sold both of my boats and was power boat less for the first time in 15 years (I don't count the sunfish ). It was a really hard summer for us, lucky I knew a few people who had boats so I could borrow some and spend time on the water. Mid summer my brother and I went in on a cheap pontoon and rebuilt the seats, motor, deck and got on the water by the end of summer. In December I bought my hustler. I just picked up an 200hp outboard so now I got to find a hull to put it on! From zero to 2.5 boats!

It is too much of our ways of life to be without one. I felt lost with no boats and spend way too much time looking for new ones. And I'm still always looking! It's an obsession.

Find a smaller, cheaper boat to get out on the water again and save your pennies until you can get back into it!
Which hustler did you buy?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Boated with my family my whole life. Got out of college and started working, parents sold their lake house in 2009. Didn't do much boating for a few years there. Nearly bought 29' sunseeker down at LOTO for a song right after I graduated in 2008 but pussied out due to the logistics. Man I regret that a lot.

On a hot sunny summer day the depression was pretty intense for me knowing there people on the river only miles away. Trying to rely on other people for my boating fix and not captaining was not good enough for me.

Then a buddy and I went in on this old regal that only needed elbow grease for $1k.

Had a blast. I sold it to him. He got his GF pregnant and sold it.

Then one of my best friends died at 30 and I decided to start living more in the now.

Put this on the lift at my parents place in FL during the winter and then up here in the summer. Put 110 hrs on it one year, burned at least $4200 in fuel. Drove it from st pete beach to key west and back, from peoria to STL. Been having a blast. Just did 600hr service on the engines.

Now granted I make almost double what I did when I graduated, I still could have had a reasonable boat those years. My buddies and I have nearly as much or more fun working on old boats. That being said, sometimes I think I want another boat!

A wife and kids could potentially change that, I don't know. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Which hustler did you buy?
The white and orange 32 out of LOTO

http://imgur.com/elJqTtd
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Registered

nick . I was just playing around .. didn't mean to think I was jabbing on you . I certainly wasn't .. I know you said invest youre money .. I wished you the best I believe and I meant it . youre not the only peson on this site without a float ... best of luck again too you and youre ventures ..
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok there Rob. I think when I get a place with a garage. Also a Chevy 1/2 ton truck. Then I'll be looking forward to restoring a farm tractor. Being able to fit an older one in the garage and restore it. Work on it when ever. Not having to worry about bad weather or the offseason getting in the way of me working on the tractor. If I run out of room in the garage for the tractor parts while doing restoration work. I'll use one of the bedrooms to store parts in.

Well thank you it means a lot. I'm the kind of person that enjoys a hobby that needs to be occupied with it. It beats sitting around and doing nothing in the evening or on the weekends after work.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been without a boat before and it just eats me up inside every hot summer day--I just have to be on the water or I'm dying on the inside. IMO you buy your toy cash and enjoy it. The real problem for a lot of guys is the expense of payments, insurance maintenance and repairs.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm currently without one. Back in the market finally. Grew up on em. Did a stint in my 20s without as I moved around the country and spent too much time working for peanuts. Made a career change and happen to have get married. Back in with a 272 formula. Loved it again. Divorce and bye bye boat. Been dying to get another since. I currently have my dads 30 scarab sport sitting on my lift. And although I'm beyond appreciative to have this to use. It isn't mine and it isn't a performance boat. I guess for some the addiction is real. Lol. I will have another shortly.

On a side note I have a thread in fountain forum. Looking for 35-42 fountain. 40ish. If it's advertised I've seen it. If you have one or know someone who is selling and hasn't listed yet let me know. Haha. Good luck Nick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.