Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thru hull exhaust get old after a while? >

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Notices

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would make much more sense to switch to center-riser manifolds before you go to thru-hulls. On log manifolds, the risers are much closer to the water line - you don't have that 13 inch gap that you need. Plus it will be very difficult to fit a 90 degree elbow turned toward the transom under those risers. The only way to get around the Y-pipe would be to remove it, which is a real pain (need to pull the motor). But still, if you throttle down too quickly with that setup, you will end up with much bigger problems. I'd vote for center risers, or to keep what you have. Some people say the noise of thru-hulls gets annoying after a while (although I've been running mine for 2 seasons now and still love waking everyone up on the lake just as much as I did at first).
Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Someone left me a love letter on my truck. I reported the threat to the police. Yeah, my boat's loud and if you want peace and quiet then don't move onto an all sports lake! This is so crazy I framed a copy and it's hanging on the wall at my cabin!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does that note imply that anything offensive to the senses should be oppressed? What would we do with the hideous spouse of that note writer? Should they have to stay indoors during daylight hours? People are ridiculous.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carl I know the what you mean. The classics are super loud. I have to shut mine off anytime a friend pulls up and wants to talk. It still doesn't get annoying in my opinion. I do feel bad when I use the dock over night and amore only coming in at 2am. I just tell the marina that it came that way from the factory I can't change it. That's why the 2nd boat with thru hulls below the water line is great. You get the noise when on plane but can talk while putting around at night.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner
Captains Call is illegal in Pennsylvania. Ask me how I know...

I got stopped in 2008 and out of courtesy I switched my exhaust to quiet when the blue lights came on. - Big mistake! Long story short, the PA law is written as "Any modification to the exhaust system that reduces the effectiveness of the muffling system is illegal, cutouts and diverters are illegal." Basically, when the exhaust is thru-hub, its quiet and when you switch it to thru-hull, you have "reduced the effectiveness". I was told that I had to have it permanently disabled in quiet!
Same in MI, and it is misinterpreted the same way. A "cut-out" is something to make quiet exhaust loud. Silent choice/captain's call is something to make loud exhaust quiet. Moron water patrol were using it to write tickets here a few years ago.

Where it comes into play is your exhaust has to pass the bd readings for your state both ways. If it does, you are good to go.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
captains call is illegal if the boat does not meet state noise regulations when with the exhaust open, if your boat meets state noise restriction laws while exhaust is open or closed than you have nothing to worry about.

if your boat does not meet state noise regulations while the exhaust is open and you have captains call that is when you get a ticket, because they view that as you trying to hide your loud illegal exhaust
100% correct I should have read all the threads before I responded.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Registered

To answer the OP's question. The only time it got old on my boat was on a 45 minute no wake triop with a broken stereo. As much as I love the sound of a rumbling big block at idle, it got old after about 15-2o minutes. LOL
Old 03-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by DBleil89
Carl I know the what you mean. The classics are super loud. I have to shut mine off anytime a friend pulls up and wants to talk. It still doesn't get annoying in my opinion. I do feel bad when I use the dock over night and amore only coming in at 2am. I just tell the marina that it came that way from the factory I can't change it. That's why the 2nd boat with thru hulls below the water line is great. You get the noise when on plane but can talk while putting around at night.
I have Q&Q but only use it at idle speeds with the 525. I don't boat after dark. Also on the Great Lakes and connecting waters there are no speed or noise restrictions. Or if there are they aren't enforced.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-22-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My go to water ski boat was a 16' Donzi powered by an AQ260A connected to a VP DuoProp. The best time to ski on Lake Washington is about 6:30AM. The water drained out of the raw water system while the boat sat. No matter how softly I would start it up the neighbors often told me they should have come skiing because they were now awake.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely eliminated my silent choice last year. Don't regret it at all. Never used the switchable exhaust and cleaned up my bilge big time removing all of the hardware from the factory system. Also lost about 250 lbs in the rear when I remove it and put stainless marine manifolds on. I hope it's a cold day in hell when our Carolina lakes try and silence the sound of a pair of pushrod V8 s. As someone noted before, I respect the times I come and go and never sit at the dock or my favorite watering hole revving my motors for attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.