Notices

Hearing protection ...

Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I've actually found there to be a slight difference in comfort and ease of insertion with the different foam brands. Some of them are a more dense foam that is harder to compress and push in properly. As far as your sanitation concerns you can by boxes of them and throw them away or stuff them in a beer can every time you remove them. No one likes to look at used earplugs but it beats going deaf. I've had some issues with the big over the ear muff types because the tension on some is a bit too tight and if the cushion is not breathable/ absorbent you can sweat in the summer from them where they make contact which isn't nice. Lots of intercom or noise cancelling headphones don't cancel enough sound to be considered hearing protection. I have a cool pair of over the ear hearing protectors that have flush mount mics and speakers with volume built-in so you can still hear conversation around you / radio / warning buzzers etc and actually amplify it if you want while wearing them but harmful noise is kept out. If you're really serious about it I'd check and see how many decibels you're actually exposed to so you can see which products provide the protection you need.
The engine sound is not the issue. My wind screen is low and deflects the wind directly into the faces of those in front. It's that wind that is causing discomfort and if there is discomfort then damage is being done. I think I will try full size ear muffs and the disposable ear plugs. I have both here. An intercom would be awesome but the mic would have to work in the direct wind blast which is over 80 mph at times. I did start a new thread about intercoms.

I want to add that I do have removable wind deflectors that work well but on a hot day that open air feels great. I keep a zip-loc bag of cheap and left behind sunglasses on board and everyone is required to wear some type of eye protection. Now to deal better with the ear issue...

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-25-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That's a nice looking set. $798 for two headsets. Could a second set be linked to it? How do the mics work while in a direct wind blast? I should start a new thread ...

http://www.sampsonracing.com/Wireles...-two-place.htm

I found a four piece set. It's $1,596.

http://www.sampsonracing.com/Wireles...four-place.htm
I usually sit in the VR 1 but Darlene stands when it gets rough. At 70+ the wind does affect it but I can still understand her. The mic is adjustable for sensitivity but I haven't yet experimented with different settings.

Padraig
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i am super on board with hearing protection. I use Peltor FM receiver muffs religiously in my shop and have an FM modulator on the computer in my office so i can listen to all kinds of stuff of the net all day long. I call it "sensory deprivation mode" because i cant here the phone or anyone at the door all day long lol. Most of my hearing loss is from boat racing in particular the outboard SS Cat with Wahoo and the open pipe Cleveland construction boat, oddly enough i think it was an improperly set up intercom in the helmets that did the most damage. Years of concert going did not help either. Peltor has an active noise canceling headset that i often thought might work good in a boat, probably not while underway but could still be an option. Anymore i wear my headsets in the shop even when I'm not making noise, just use to having them on and i like the stuff i modulate off my computer, hardly ever music though usually physics lectures off youtube like Feynman or maybe an episode of Cosmos or something lol.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
physics lectures off youtube like Feynman or maybe an episode of Cosmos or something lol.
Yeah Baby!!

Try some Murray Gell-Mann. I'm into one of his books now, smart dude.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

so . . . Phragle Rob stops by my shop on his way home from work for a beer and i says "hey, thats a pretty good thread going on OSO on hearing protection" . . . . Robs response . . . "huh?" . . . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

so . . . Phragle Rob stops by my shop on his way home from work for a beer and i says "hey, thats a pretty good thread going on OSO on hearing protection" . . . . Robs response . . . "huh?" . . . . . . .
True story.....
Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

lol
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I believe in.
Not the best, not the most expensive, but does the job!
I use them mostly for work, have a pair at home and use for Mowing and such, have a pair on the boat for wind noise, have a pair for the motorcycle for when I choose to not wear a helmet!
Basically I have had at least 7 or 8 pairs over the last 15+ years!
Highly used for gun enthusiast as well.
Hard to find anyone that does them locally any more

http://earinc.com/shop/markets/indus...able-earplugs/
Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It always appeared to me that the first noise guys stop hearing is the female voice. I never considered this a problem. Hmmm.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
It always appeared to me that the first noise guys stop hearing is the female voice. I never considered this a problem. Hmmm.
Happy wife, happy life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.