Notices

Little boats are a blast!

Old 09-26-2002, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurt, there are folks around here that have put blown BBs in 22's and see the 90s. Boat drives rock steady at that speed. But with an Alpha I'd stick with the small blocks. I' know of a strong 406 bolted up to a SS for eight years now and it's still running great.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

Biggus,
My uncle worked and boated out in Pontiac Mi for years on Cass lake, There was a guy out there with a blown big block with 900hp, if memory serves me correctly, 94mph was the #. I remember thinking that's alot for that 22' boat, but he said it was built very tough, and it remained stable at high speeds. I dont think I would get on it though.

Insptech,

That's Sparky's Viscious Cat, a 32'
My friend Jason bought the boat from him this spring. Twin promax 300's, gaffrig monster guages, a cabin in it, a bad assss mitcher T paint job, it's a very sweet boat, I was at his shop tuesday night, and he had the mold back out, and he said he's getting ready to build another one. I like the boat, and Jason loves it and said he will never buy anything other than a cat again. My cat is a 26', and the ride on mine isn'y good till about 80 mph when it packs enough air, the Viscious cat amazes me in the fat that you can cruise along at 40 or 50mph, and it's really smooth and comfortable. Sparky had it up over 110, but I'll let him answer the exact mph #, He raced it in p class stripped down and turned avarage lap times of over 100. When Jason bought it, sparky took off the race hatch, and added a back seat and cabin to it, and It still runs upper 90's, and that's after he dinged his props up and had them sent in for repair, which dropped the rpm's. I think he's gonna buy a brand new set, because he's been working with those to try to get his rpm back and it's just not working out the way he wants. It sure a fun boat though.

Speaking of small boats and Viscious cat's, I love cat's and it's no secret, Sparky is also in the process of tooling up an 18' cat, it's the perfect play boat for me. I could hang it off of my jet ski davit, and go for an after work blast every day. Sparky hurry up and get that mold done, and build one, I want to go for a ride on it, and find me a buyer for my 32. I know of a 18 that's coming out, and I want one!

Old 09-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Biggus,
I noticed additional RPM by getting rid of the 5gal pail muffs. I bought some fiberglass 90's and put them in-line. The boat was a little louder but not much because the exhaust exits low and is muffled under the platform. If you want the fiberglass 90's let me know because I am now using headers.

Todd
Old 09-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Default 22' Pachanga as wel

Biggus,
I have a 1986 22 Pachanga as well. It started off with a stock Merc 260 and then had a Paxton and waster injection installed. Running 5 lbs of boost the boat ran 65-66 before the motor developed a rod knock. I was swinging a 25" Mirage.
Over the winter I built a 454 .060 over with stock exhaust and no mufflers (2 90 degree bends and out the corners). I put in an Ultradyne Cam that is supposed to be good for 375 hp. Peanut port heads and a stock low rise intake with an Alpha drive. Ran on the Potomac yesterday flat water, 73 degrees and the 25 mirage (needs to be undinged) and I was running 67mph on the speedo @ 4600-4700 RPM. I need to readjust all my valves and get the prop reworked to get the motor to spin 4900-5000. I hope to see 70 on gps but I might be smokin it!!
Keep us updated on the SS...I noticed yesterday when I pulled the boat out that the trim at fat cruise wasn't all that far out so I believe the x dimension is pretty good already but I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for your results....Might need to sell the BB and rebuild the SB!!
Ken
Old 09-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

My 22ZX will do 66mph with a 24p 4 blade bravo 1...Open exhaust..It runs all day on $50.00...See it in the classifieds...Yes,they do go fast with out a big hit to the wallet,but I got to get this cat thing outa my system...
Old 09-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Registered

speed2lead,

Good call on wanting a cat, but the bad part is, it wont get out of your system.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

It was another perfect day up here in Maine, the weather is cooling down a little and I spent the afternoon ripping up the lake in the Pachanga. As I said before, I am incredibly impressed with how well this hull goes

Today was a slight chop, very slight, and I cleaned the fuzz off the flame arrestor and made some GPS runs.

Got 64.0 on gps at 4950rpm with a 23 Vengence prop.

What do you guys think of that with a bone stock 350 Mag in a 22' boat!

It picks up a full mph on gps with the hatch open about 4"

If I was not the one behind the wheel I`d never believe it!
Old 10-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Registered

That's great news! Shoud the advance in timing have an adverse affect on the engine? I have a 21' Donzi, same motor. I need to have the heads redone this winter. I want to keep the motor as close to stock (for reliability) as I can. Yet, I want to increase my top end (mainly for fuel efficiency). Any ideas out there?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Banned

Gator, what model and year is the Donzi?
Old 10-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Registered

1990, GT210. It is very practical for the family right now, yet still allows me to have a good time . I want to start getting around to some other areas soon. Mainly Clearwater & ST Pete areas, but do not want to be swamped by the big boats. I have thought of joining OPBA, down your way. They say they have boats as small as 18' participating in some of their events.

Quick Reply: Little boats are a blast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.