Notices

Gulf coast residents.....

Old 09-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

ET,
I grew up in Potsdam NY, went to school @ Geneseo and I do miss snowmobling sometimes, BUT when I lower the Velocity into Sykes Creek on day after X-mas, ALL those memories just MELT away!
LOL,
MD
BD, pass the Sun block 45 please!
Old 09-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Daze and Dean, (sounds like a singing duet)

Don't you get tired of looking at all those girls with next to nothing on?

I do like the idea of being able to be on the boat on New years eve, but I think I would miss the change of seasons too much. It is unbelievable to be able to be out on the sled at night while it is snowing hard and stopping to hear the snow falling on you in complete silence. Great feeling. ( sounds like I should be a romance novelist) Any money in it?!!

Boating is over rated anyway!!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by EvilTwin
Daze and Dean, (sounds like a singing duet)

Don't you get tired of looking at all those girls with next to nothing on?

Boating is over rated anyway!!!!

Never and No!
Old 09-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A freind of mine drove from Pensacola to Panama City the other night. She said it was hell.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was crossing the Howard Franklin this morning. The wind was howling from the south, and the spray from the waves was coming over the seawalls and barriers. Around 3pm, some heavy showers came in and on the radio they said it was the outer bands from Isadore.

I sure am glad I had my huge Jaccaranda tree trimmed Tuesday morning. One of the largest limbs was hanging over three of my boats, and anyone familiar with those trees knows how weak they are.

I'm need to make a decision tonight whether to stay here and go boating this weekend, or if I decide the weather will be too bad, to go wild hog hunting up on the Suwanee River. Either one would be exciting!

Dean, I was working in Otown when Floyd was headed this way. You couldn't get a motel room anywhere in town from the costal people staying there, and we know how many motels there are in Otown! The best thing for me was coming back home, they opened the toll booths to increase the flow of traffic.

BTW, count me in with Daze and Dean in that duet, so I guess it's a trio now. Who says we don't have a change of seasons? We have two, one you boat shirtless, and the other you wear a shirt. Yes, I have lived with snow when I lived in Oregon. It is a lot like rain, only colder!
Old 09-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stayed home with my 2 year old today because the daycare was closed due to Isadore. The eye passed about 60 miles to the east of us this morning. It was really no big deal. Just a big rain maker for us. It started raining 1 pm tuesday and quit at 12 noon today. We got around 5 inches. Never lost power or anything. The average thunderstorm around here is worse. The west side of the storm is always quieter than the east but my inlaws live in Orange beach AL where the strongest winds were and they said it was not that bad.

The traveling reporters from the Weather Channel really crack me up. They try to make it seem worse than it is. Their guy in New Orleans was acting like he could hardly stand up but the tree behind him was not even moving and it was barely raining. Their guy in Gulf Port was acting like he was having to lean into the wind to keep standing up while in the back ground there were middle school children playing in the rain.

Just south of me is New Orleans that took a direct hit. The only problem they had was the rain. Just over a foot in two days. N.O. sits below sea level and bordered by water so any rain that falls on the ground must be pumped out. The pumps cant keep up so they are flooding. Still I know people in N.O. who said they are fine.

Ron
Old 09-26-2002, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True story-

I live north of Lake Ponchartrain and New Orleans. A popular lakefront hangout, 'Don's on the lake', did not close, despite high water. There were white caps at the bar, and the bartender was answering the phone 'Dons IN the lake'.

Bulldog
Old 09-27-2002, 07:32 AM
Apache22

I'm glad that rjcardinal is such a f&#cking authority on the storm damage.
People in Bayo LaBatre had four feet of water in their home and lost most all their wordly possesions

Business district of Bayo LaBatre had one foot plus in their stores and lost most of their inventory

West end on Dalphin Island home owners lost there berm, most on their lot and had their piling foundations undermined
Same for West Beach in Gulf Shores, water up to the eight foot mark on piling homes that are 10 ft in elevation, theirs lots are gone, storage rooms and parking below their houses gone, foundations undermined, I drove down and looked, being a residencial General Contractor I feel I had a good idea of what I was looking at.

Millions and Millions of dollars of water damage and personal items that can never be replaced
But just ask rjcardinal, the storm was a joke, and no big deal, ASSh%LE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Apache22; 09-27-2002 at 07:38 AM.

Old 09-27-2002, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by rjcardinal
The traveling reporters from the Weather Channel really crack me up. They try to make it seem worse than it is. Their guy in New Orleans was acting like he could hardly stand up but the tree behind him was not even moving and it was barely raining. Their guy in Gulf Port was acting like he was having to lean into the wind to keep standing up while in the back ground there were middle school children playing in the rain.
LMAO! It's funny you mentioned that...Remember Jim Cantorre from the weather channel? Man, that guys was the most melodramatic SOB I've ever seen...I swear most of the time there's someone right behind the camera dumping a bucket of water on him and he's screaming bloody murder....When one particular 'cane hit, he was reporting from Daytona Beach and the guys and I were sitting in a beach bar and there was nothing.....The report showed otherwise!
Old 09-27-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apache 22,

Sorry that the storm hurt people you know. I was just relaying my experience. There was hardly any damage around here. My inlaws who live on the water in Orange Beach just a few miles from West beach had no damage either.

Ron