How Are Coordinates Read Aloud? >

How Are Coordinates Read Aloud?

Notices

How Are Coordinates Read Aloud?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 900 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Boating on the rivers here in Pittsburgh nobody bothers to use the GPS co-ordinates. It is much easier to use land based markers like the bridges or buildings, dams, parks etc along the rivers. Cell service is never a problem so most distress calls go out that way. Some boaters have the VHF radios to include myself. I even have a hand held from my old boat. Those are handy for locking through.

Working River Rescue we will get dispatched for disabled boats via the landmark system.

I will add that it is a good idea to have a good VHF radio and GPS system if you are going offshore or even out on the great lakes. Granted, a basic compass will get you back to shoreline if needed but the others will get help to you fast if you break down.
I rented a boat in the Bahamas with not a single piece of working equipment outside of the throttle/steering and motor. No gauges (fuel included), no radio so I ran out of fuel 3/4 of a mile from a marina I was heading to. I knew where I was, I knew the name of the marina so I called them (cell phone) and asked for assistance. I could see the local lighthouse and could see the entrance to the marina and was essentially the only boat in the open bay.......guy came out in 15 minutes to give us some fuel and get us going again. Turns out we had rented his cousins boat!

I this case......GPS waypoints would have complicated the call to the locals!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I quite often go out of sight of land in any direction. I take all precautions which means having a chartplotter, cell phones, vhf, paper charts, compass and more. And towing insurance. The vhf is useful for communicating with marinas for dockage info etc. I still don't know all of the proper radio procedures but I'm learning. Most marinas have a sign saying what channel they monitor and I have a Great Lakes cruising guide that also has that info. Also you can use channel 16 to initiate contact and switch to another channel. I was told to say the name of who you are calling 3 times and then your boat's name. So I guess if I'm heading into Put-in-Bay and I want to see if the Boardwalk has a slip available I will go to their channel and say"Boardwalk, Boardwalk, Boardwalk, this is little yellow Donzi do you copy?" As long as you are trying to do it right I don't suppose you will get in trouble but I'd like to know all of the proper means of using the vhf. I do know four big DON'Ts: No random radio checks or calling Coast Guard for radio check. Must identify yourself by boat name at beginning and end of any conversation, "little yellow Donzi out". No tying up channel 16 and no needless gabbing on any channel. This is not CB.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is a half dozen niner - actual radio talk for 69
Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

I once gave the USCG my Loran numbers. Yes I'm old.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered

I usually give boat length and name (if it has one), if no name then boat brand.

I.E. - "Boardwalk, Boardwalk, Boardwalk, this is the 24 foot Insanity over'

Then refer to myself as just the boat name from that point forward until the end of the convo.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Also you can use channel 16 to initiate contact and switch to another channel.
Actually I don't think you can, it's emergency distress only. I always thought 68/69 were for the type of contact you're referring to.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Actually I don't think you can, it's emergency distress only. I always thought 68/69 were for the type of contact you're referring to.
That's what I had thought but when I entered Caseville Municipal Harbor last summer a sign said to contact them on channel 16. We immediately dropped to 14. Maybe I misread it and it might have said they "monitor" channel 16. Hmmm. I might have screwed up!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That's what I had thought but when I entered Caseville Municipal Harbor last summer a sign said to contact them on channel 16. We immediately dropped to 14. Maybe I misread it and it might have said they "monitor" channel 16. Hmmm. I might have screwed up!
All marine radios are required to monitor channel 16, I'd find it odd that they request to be contacted on 16, the CG would probably have a say about that. Most port/dock operations monitor that as well as the basic communication channel as a typical scan.

Last edited by Indy; 05-21-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
All marine radios are required to monitor channel 16, I'd find it odd that they request to be contacted on 16, the CG would probably have a say about that. Most port/dock operations monitor that as well as the basic communication channel as a typical scan.
Yep, you're right. After some reading channel 16 is for "use in emergencies or to get the attention of another boat." I must have sounded like a real noob hailing the marina on channel 16!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

I doubt the CG would bother you if you're simply contacting another vsl or marina on 16 and then switching to another working freq to pass your traffic. Its only when ppl clog up 16 that the CG will step in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.