Notices

Apache in cuba.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
I don't believe somebody would abandon something like that with the amount of investment.
No matter how much money a person has, the value of that boat could not be left to rot. Actually, the wealthier a person is, the more "conscious" they get about their money. Maybe not back in the day, but today, yes.
Some of the old school are but some of the new money today will drop that kind of cash on a birthday party. IMHO The boat may mean something to some of us but to him it was just a tool to get him something he wanted at the time. Just look at the Spirit of Qatar team. Once the Sheikh merged with the sail folks of Qatar with it's prestige it only took a couple months to go from testing for the new season to everything is up for auction.
One thing I have found out about pretty much all rich people I've met is they don't have much sentimental value in things. If a better job comes along they take it. A nicer car they dump their old stand by and jump for the new. A house is just an investment. It's just business even if it is fun. I figure he wanted the record and fame that went along with it even if it was just in the boating community and was willing to pay (build the boat) for it.
Last, this is nothing new. How many old racers have their old race boats or cars? Instead of them being in museums most are lost in time sitting behind some marina like the one in Cuba.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It was reported Jan 7 that the owners legal problems with the U.S. have been resolved. No mention was made about the actual boat, but I would infer that it can now be moved.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just saw someone post a pic on IG of the boat back in Miami @ Haulover.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Looks to need a paint job. OUCH!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Boat looks to be sitting next to the Marina Hemingway Yacht Club in that pic in Cuba.

The Authorities in Cuba make you Secure your boat by putting it on land and secured with chain to prevent it from being used to escape Cuba .

That's the way it wa when I was over there a couple years ago on my buddies big ketch.

We had a 20 foot Novauranian inflatable for a dinghy that we towed. Cubans said on the deck or pull it out at Marina Hemingway.

I have pics floating around somewhere if I can find them.

There is something Fishy going on here.

McManus would be the only one in trouble for going over there as he is an American. And if they can't prove you spent money in Cuba there is nothing the authorities can do.

Buddies boat I was on has been detained a few times by the US Coast Guard..

Tow the boat to the Bahamas or Mexico and have it shipped from there.

Better off and money ahead stripping it and loading the engines and hardware on a Sportfisher and sneak the parts back into the US thru Mexico or Bahamas.

I have pics of a 55 foot Sportfisherman with a new car in the cockpit at marina Hemingway , take it they were trying to smuggle it into Cuba.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Looks to need a paint job. OUCH!
looks like the Miss Gieco boat
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure that paint job was expensive, it doesn't seem like it lasted that long.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
I'm sure that paint job was expensive, it doesn't seem like it lasted that long.
Welcome to fluorescent colors left in the direct sunlight with no cover. The UV fades them in short order. As said above look at the side of miss geico that's towards the sun, almost looks white and it was just painted 3 years ago or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.