Boating United Calling For Comments On EPA Ethanol Plans

Notices

Boating United Calling For Comments On EPA Ethanol Plans

Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default Boating United Calling For Comments On EPA Ethanol Plans

A call to action from Boating United, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-ethanol-plans.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

To the top! A worthy cause. Only takes a second of your time. Let's keep ethanol out of our boats!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:45 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Done ! Thank you for bringing this opportunity to be heard.

A normal spring for me is dealing with approx 5-8 carburetors brought to me that have ethanol related issues. Typically, these carburetors have just sat for the winter. You cannot miss the ethanol damage, it is a white granular dried jelly type substance, and the metal (aluminum, zinc, etc) will be white and flaky.

Not my photos, but this is just like some of the worse one's:

Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Done
Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Just completed. Let's all get on board !!!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

What the EPA has apparently not yet figured out about boats and Ethanol is that the average age of the boating fleet is much older than the average age of the automotive fleet. For instance, in any mall parking lot, how many carbureted engines do you think you’d find? Probably zero. Now go to any marina and ask the same question. What you’d find is that the majority of marine engines are still carbureted – because they’re so much older.

So why is the age of the fleet such an important question? Because most fuel injected engines were designed and built with at least some consideration for Ethanol in the fuel. That means that they were designed and built for the special issues that Ethanol causes. Gasoline with some amount of Ethanol is not a bad thing – if the engine it goes into is designed for it. Almost no older / carbureted engines were designed or built with consideration for anything like Ethanol. That’s why these older engines are having so many problems. And since percentage wise there are more older engines in the boating fleet, these engines are seeing many more issues such as clogged carburetors and fuel filters leading to rough running or non-starting engines. (And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.)

If gasoline with Ethanol is such a great thing for boats, let me ask a question: Why do so many marinas offer gasoline without Ethanol when virtually no gas stations on dry land offer such an alternative?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Registered

first thing I do when my car starts throwing emissions warnings is to find some corn free gas and a spirited ride. what would otherwise be a $500+ bmw bill to replace parts is solved with one tank of corn free gas. we need our farmers putting food in the bellies of folks not in our gas tanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Done.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 AM
Registered

done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.