Notices

Twin Turbo LSX Boat

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
The guy building them is on here, hopefully he fills us in.
Not according to the article.

Mercer Machine and Performance out of Lawrence, Kansas
It looks like Retter supplied the A2W IC and maybe the water jacketed turbine housings from what I gather.

Maybe he will chime in with what he knows about it.

"Retter, RED, Precision, Retter Engine Development, Popeyes, hookers, buttsecks".......tags for when he googles himself, so Ryan will see this. lol
Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

After reading the following article I became sold on the LS platform.

Wondering why people are still screwing around with big blocks and superchargers in boats when a turbo LS will do the job with more reliability .

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-bang-theory/
Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
After reading the following article I became sold on the LS platform.

Wondering why people are still screwing around with big blocks and superchargers in boats when a turbo LS will do the job with more reliability .

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-bang-theory/
Ugh...please, please, please don't quote that Big Bang HotRod rag article. So many people read that and automatically assume that stock LS junk can make 1000+ reliably, then build one and scatter it at 650 rwhp. I have built and blown up enough stock bottom end turbo LS stuff to know for fact that is not the case. lol.

The fact of the matter is, we don't really know if the BIG hp LS stuff will truly live in a boat. Jimkid has proved that NA LS stuff (LS7) works really well in his skater. However, I have never seen data that says that the big inch big hp turbo LS stuff can live in a boat...but if it does, it certainly won't be a stock bottom end setup like HotRod had on the dyno. It's hard for me to say, since I'm one of the biggest turbo LS fanboys there is. I think for the article to claim that a 1500-2000 hp LS is more reliable than a BBC of similar power is a bit far fetched, and certainly premature.

Last edited by Wasted Income; 06-29-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Weisman has a real clean AVS with twin LSX N/A motors in it. Cool video about LS building by Tom Nelson of Nelson Race Engines.
https://youtu.be/VsmbbuSq9m0
Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need 2 of those in a small Skater.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Ugh...please, please, please don't quote that Big Bang HotRod rag article. So many people read that and automatically assume that stock LS junk can make 1000+ reliably, then build one and scatter it at 650 rwhp. I have built and blown up enough stock bottom end turbo LS stuff to know for fact that is not the case. lol.

The fact of the matter is, we don't really know if the BIG hp LS stuff will truly live in a boat. Jimkid has proved that NA LS stuff (LS7) works really well in his skater. However, I have never seen data that says that the big inch big hp turbo LS stuff can live in a boat...but if it does, it certainly won't be a stock bottom end setup like HotRod had on the dyno. It's hard for me to say, since I'm one of the biggest turbo LS fanboys there is. I think for the article to claim that a 1500-2000 hp LS is more reliable than a BBC of similar power is a bit far fetched, and certainly premature.
I know a stock LS motor is not going to get the job done but a built for purpose 427 LS opposed to a 540 BB is probably about the same amount of money with less weight and better valve train.

So what's the problem?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally agree. I have had a bunch of buddies that have blown up stock bottom end LS motors with turbos that were no where near 1000hp. That's why I built the **** out of my bottom end just to be able to handle 600hp N/A in a boat.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I know a stock LS motor is not going to get the job done but a built for purpose 427 LS opposed to a 540 BB is probably about the same amount of money with less weight and better valve train.

So what's the problem?
My point is, that a 1000 hp 427 LS is going to be working a lot harder to make that power than a BBC with 100+ more cubes. Buddy of mine weighed a 6.0L LS shortblock vs a new 540 BBC shortblock a couple months ago....the LS was 310 lbs, and the BBC was 360 lbs. 50 lbs isn't a small amount, but you could leave the cooler at the dock to make up for it. The fact is, with increased power density, comes reduced longevity.

If Merc was starting from scratch with the QC4V, why did they chose to go straight to 9 liters, instead of something smaller and throw more boost at it?

Originally Posted by corey331
Totally agree. I have had a bunch of buddies that have blown up stock bottom end LS motors with turbos that were no where near 1000hp. That's why I built the **** out of my bottom end just to be able to handle 600hp N/A in a boat.
Ditto, I finally ended up with a bunch of nice parts in my 370 cube bullet. Seeing as how it puts down 825 hp to the rear wheels through a 4L80E and 12 bolt rear end, it's making right at or under 1000 hp at the crank, assuming 17-20% drivetrain loss. It runs great for short blasts on the highway, trips to the drag strip, etc.....but I don't think I'd trust it to pin it WOT at 100% load for a few miles at a time.

Though when I swapped the LS into my jet boat, I did like to run that thing balls out down the river...but it was only at 400 hp, and only turning around 5000-5500 rpm.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

. Buddy of mine weighed a 6.0L LS shortblock vs a new 540 BBC shortblock a couple months ago....the LS was 310 lbs, and the BBC was 360 lbs. 50 lbs isn't a small amount, but you could leave the cooler at the dock to make up for it.

My weight saving was a lot more significant than that, but I also weighed dressed engine vs. dressed engine. My stock 310hp 454 was 1060lbs with iron intake, iron exhaust, iron heads and all the accessories. My dressed 408 LS2 is 560lbs. That's a 500lb savings over the 454, which is pretty substantial. I also decided to try the aluminum blocked LS2, which saves 100lbs over the 6.0 iron truck block. I know the iron is a little stronger, but at my power levels, the aluminum should still be just fine. If I ever go boosted, it'll get swapped out to iron. I will also concede that a lot of the weight I saved, could have also been shaved off a big block by switching to headers and an aluminum intake. My goal was to build a motor that was roughly equivalent to a hp500 in power and weighed a lot less.. I'm pretty sure fully dressed, I am still 250-350lbs lighter than a fully dressed hp500, and am making slightly more power. But my main reason for doing the swap, was simply to be different!!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Registered

As I was reading your response, I kept thinking "yeah, your boat anchor ALL iron 454 is was heavy....and configured much differently than a "max" effort BBC".....then you covered that point. lol. good work.

I don't have the weight for an LS2 shortblock, but my buddy did weigh an LS1 at the same time, and it was actually 130 lbs lighter than an iron 6.0....figured you would get a kick out of that info, since there's lots of different numbers floating around the net, which is exactly why he weighed them all.

Thanks for the weight numbers on your swap. Certainly very interesting. I wish I had a heavy duty enough fish scale to compare the 454 from my jet boat with the LS that went back in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.