Soft Transom and Stringers

Notices

Soft Transom and Stringers

Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Times have changed........
I remember back in 1980 on a boating weekend at a lake outside of Melbourne (Aus) we didn't have enough money to buy fuel. I went into the general store on the lakes edge and bought a packet of chips and a Coke to distract the store owner while my mate filled a 2 gallon gerry-can from their bowser out front, then took off into the bushes to rendezvous with me and the boat 200 yards round the bend.

Took less than a minute to steal enough fuel for 2 hours more skiing!

RR

EDIT BACK ON TOPIC ..... After my holiday, some guy told me my transom was wet so I sold the boat......

Last edited by rak rua; 07-02-2016 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Off topic
Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Times have changed........
I remember back in 1980 on a boating weekend at a lake outside of Melbourne (Aus) we didn't have enough money to buy fuel. I went into the general store on the lakes edge and bought a packet of chips and a Coke to distract the store owner while my mate filled a 2 gallon gerry-can from their bowser out front, then took off into the bushes to rendezvous with me and the boat 200 yards round the bend.

Took less than a minute to steal enough fuel for 2 hours more skiing!

RR
When we were kids we knew a farmer that left his gas tank unlocked and unguarded .12 pack of Miller High life for 5 bucks , 5 gallons of stolen gas , never get greedy, and another 5 bucks for Mcdonalds.

Good night out at 16
Old 07-01-2016, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeze guys, come on. Can't a guy make up a story to frame a question? And why all the hangups on how long it took to fill gas?

here is deal & what I thought was relevant to weave into the story

I am looking to buy a really nice boat that some surveyor a few years back flagged with a soft transom, moisture reading 35. i'v never seen the boat hence the part of the story where someone just told me this. I also heard it had been raining a while days before this moisture test was taken, possibly could have influenced the reading, but i'm assuming there are issues.

I have contacted a very well respected OSO member on replacing the transom and stringers so I had an idea of what i would be getting into (thanks for the info dave). I also wanted to know if I could possibly still use the boat this summer in a gentile capacity, leaving glass work for the winter...I think this and the remainder of the post are pretty easy to follow,

So what sh!t did I catch for this?

* I think there was a bit of a passive aggressive comment because I have been posting a lot

* where some of you fixated on the duration it takes to go to the gas station blows me away, but I did appreciate the insightful comment for fixing the vent line, this happens occasionally on my current boat

* lets see, then I get the Darr comments (without even hounding you, insulting you and your boat)

* I apparently have motivated one check out some of my youtube profiles etc. to confirm I have a public folder with tons of boat related videos. I've even got the twitter account where my history could be checked...I have a facebook account as well, linkedin and many others too. Unlike many, I have no need to conceal anything, I represent myself as myself and have no need to hide behind a chat name.

* then I think I am getting slammed for having a fixed amount of money I can spend enhancing on boat and buying another...yes, I am poor and not a fat cat like many of you must be.

Well, I guess some just feel the way to raise their esteem is to diminish it others.

Can we move on and play nice?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, what?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

To the op, sorry for my part in derailing the thread.

Now, I have revisited the thread and I don't see that anyone is having a dig at you. Your questions have been clearly stated and a few helpful responses are there with the light-hearted stuff too. You're getting advice from a respected expert in fibreglass work and that should be the strongest indicator for your purchase decision.

Threads move in different directions for better and for worse but usually revert back to the topic at various points. I wouldn't be too upset if it was my thread, I truly can't see anything that seriously "diminishes your esteem" or condescending towards you.

Answer the serious posts here to keep the momentum of the thread going and ignore the off topic stuff.

RR
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 AM
Registered

Wow, lot of butt-hurt going on here. Personally, all these references to Glass Dave as "well respected" are throwing me off. Hell, the guy is from fricking Ohio and everyone knows ya can't trust those types...
Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rak rua
To the op, sorry for my part in derailing the thread.

Now, I have revisited the thread and I don't see that anyone is having a dig at you. Your questions have been clearly stated and a few helpful responses are there with the light-hearted stuff too. You're getting advice from a respected expert in fibreglass work and that should be the strongest indicator for your purchase decision.

Threads move in different directions for better and for worse but usually revert back to the topic at various points. I wouldn't be too upset if it was my thread, I truly can't see anything that seriously "diminishes your esteem" or condescending towards you.

Answer the serious posts here to keep the momentum of the thread going and ignore the off topic stuff.

RR
Personally the gas jokes have kept me in stitches all morning I wouldn't take it as ball busting necessarily. But from experience uncertain future boat repair bills can make one overly sensitive. +1 on the vent tube info
Old 07-02-2016, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Wow, lot of butt-hurt going on here. Personally, all these references to Glass Dave as "well respected" are throwing me off. Hell, the guy is from fricking Ohio and everyone knows ya can't trust those types...

Yeah, he's from Ohio, but he takes "Up North" vacations in Monroe and is a HUGE U of M fan, so he's cool.

On topic edit to OP- If a surveyor already flagged it as bad (35% moisture reading) a few years ago, I'd be concerned with what corrective action has been taken since then. And personally, I'd plan on hiring the transom job if required, as my free time becomes a little more valuable than cash each day I get older.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 07-02-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the back half of the building is in Michigan and the front is in Ohio. That might explain it. Lol.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You stuck with the original story along time before you gave it up as fiction. Perhaps that's why some people thought you were Darr. On to your new story, so you own a boat, have a Formula on the way and now you're looking at a third boat. You describe it as nice in the sentence before you say you've never seen it. There's a survey involved that's some years old that you didn't pay for that you want to rely on and meteorological records indicate that this survey was done right after it rained. About right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.