Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30') >

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Notices

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Generally agree with that. I'm wanting to maintain a planing speed in 3-4' waves without getting very wet, belted around too much or screamed at by the gf. Slow plane around 20 something mph is fine.
Maybe I'm asking too much out of a boat around 25-28'?

Baja 26' Outlaw still hits me as the best in terms of ride, I'm just struggling to understand how a boat like a Crownline or a Cobalt has so much useable space in the cockpit and go fast boats of the same size have so little. Where did it all go?

Thanks for the input,
RR
Go fast just have windshield further back to be able to run on the rear of boat for speed. whereas those have windshield pushed forward for more cockpit space. We had same dilemma, we needed cockpit space and love the gofast boats. Baja was the only choice with a huge cockpit. We looked at the 302s but couldn't find one optioned out and fell into our 33ol with room for 4 bolsters.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go old school with a 27 Magnum Marine Sedan. Throw a couple egg beaters on the back and the cockpit could be huge.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by murfman
Go old school with a 27 Magnum Marine Sedan. Throw a couple egg beaters on the back and the cockpit could be huge.
I've thought about something like that, an old Magnum would be very cool but doing a resto is a bit much for me, I can't do all the glass work. I'd be paying someone to do most of the work and looking over their shoulder every step of the way to make sure it's what I want.

I've even thought about a new 28 Banana with outboard power but I think the price would kill me. Maybe just build a 24' Banana with a 350 on the back and enjoy myself. Let my friends get their own boat!!!

RR
Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by nailit
Go fast just have windshield further back to be able to run on the rear of boat for speed. whereas those have windshield pushed forward for more cockpit space. We had same dilemma, we needed cockpit space and love the gofast boats. Baja was the only choice with a huge cockpit. We looked at the 302s but couldn't find one optioned out and fell into our 33ol with room for 4 bolsters.
Now if the builders would just move that screen and bulkhead forward a touch, we could all enjoy full sized cockpits and smaller cabins that many of us don't use anyway!

RR
Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Sutphen
Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hate threads where the OP asks loads of questions, gets lots of good advice and opinions then disappears without telling us the result.

Just letting you all know, I thought I had a buyer on my current boat and he turned out to be a complete tosser. I really want mine sold first so everything is back on hold again. Thanks for all the input, I'm still interested to keep the thread going and hear more ideas because I will be changing boats but it may not be as soon as I'd hoped.

Thank-you
RR

P.S. If anyone wants a Fountain 34' in Thailand, I have a very nice one and well priced too!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

You have access to cheap labor over there and plenty of wood. Contact Kurt Hughes or Richard Woods and have them design you a surface piercing Power Cat.

Something 35 long 12 wide like this but not enclosed , just a hardtop. http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/Comme...P-features.pdf

Stock plan from Richard Woods . 20 knots with twin 50 horse
http://power-catamaran-designs.com/skoota28.htm

Kurt Hughes design
Old 07-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bit radical for me. I quite like cats but they tend to be sit down race boats, big fat fishing boats or one off designs for commercial use.

There's a class boatbuilder on my doorstep, who has designs from an Italian naval architect and his workmanship is first class. Here's a few pics of something he has plans for. He could even stretch it a bit and add a couple of feet in the cockpit. The "Retro 25" would be very cool with 2-3' extra length. Not sure about the rough water, need a closer look at the design....

RR
Attached Thumbnails Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')-image.jpg   Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')-image.jpg   Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')-image.jpg  

Last edited by rak rua; 07-13-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Bit radical for me. I quite like cats but they tend to be sit down race boats, big fat fishing boats or one off designs for commercial use.

There's a class boatbuilder on my doorstep, who has designs from an Italian naval architect and his workmanship is first class. Here's a few pics of something he has plans for. He could even stretch it a bit and add a couple of feet in the cockpit. The "Retro 25" would be very cool with 2-3' extra length. Not sure about the rough water, need a closer look at the design....

RR
Looks like a Riva knockoff. Sitting and driving a boat that far forward is not going to be a pretty ride.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever looked at envisions? form what i understand they were made for the LOTO market.