Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit. >

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit.

Notices

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh a top tip. Americans coming to Canada with $10k or more. You need to go to US customs. Failure to declare either entering or leaving the USA with $10k or more is a serious felony. Ok, Canada doesn't enforce US laws. But if you leave without reporting it, that's evidence of criminality and can make it tough to cross. Entering Canada, you also must declare $10k or over. If you don't declare and they find the money, its seized and near impossible to get it back.

I'm not saying lie to Customs agents. But sometimes not admitting the full reason for entering saves you a hassle. I don't say I'm buying a car. I say I'm looking at cars. If I have cash, its for a deposit. Both US and Canada customs if you say you are buying a car. They get more suspicious, they will likely search your car, etc. Just my experience and having a cousin customs agent in the family. He said when you say buying a car, in their minds you could be going to buy drugs and using the car excuse to justify having lots of cash. As long as you have under $10k, even if they pull you in on my reason, its easily explainable its a deposit. I also bring ad examples with me.

Another, carrying large amounts of cash in the US can be crazy. Google it. In most states they can seize money if they think it came from crime proceeds or going to crime. It can be a pain to get it back. US customs can do the same, if they think its dirty money. Stay below $10k and you should be fine. Arrange wire transfers its much easier. The more cash you have, the more all law enforcement gets suspicious.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/america...oney-1.2760736

http://www.forbes.com/sites/institut.../#2ff8d7ce2c8c
Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 186 Posts

ttt
Old 10-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_p999
We pay %13 on declared Canadian value. If I buy a boat in the US for 100k the day I show up to the border with it, whatever the exchange rate is they convert it over and you pay tax on that amount. If it's 1.30 than I would be paying tax on 130k.
are you sure? I ask because a broker told me its gst only
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Yes you pay HST on the declared value. 50 k boat you pay 13% which is $6500.00 100k boat you pay $13,000
Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stimleck
I am %100 sure. I have imported 3 boats myself over the past 5 years. I have also had an estimate sent to me from a broker on my last boat, the contract states clearly that I am to pay %13 on the purchase price of the boat plus their fees.

He could be confusing you with the trailer. You only pay GST on the trailer at the border and the PST at the MOT when you plate it.