Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was Tyler at the street show . If he was I miss Ed him
Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
But it's all about inclusion, letting everyone compete, right? Give everyone a class and make it big—and that's what happened.
Matt, that being said, I'm still surprised more boats don't run in a given class, especially the stock classes. The event has gotten big enough that I believe it scares away the "little guys". I don't think any of us want to see a majority of stock runs, but it's a great opportunity to see how the manufacturers stack up for a given hull/length/engine combination.

Variety is the spice of life.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Keytime
Matt, that being said, I'm still surprised more boats don't run in a given class, especially the stock classes. The event has gotten big enough that I believe it scares away the "little guys". I don't think any of us want to see a majority of stock runs, but it's a great opportunity to see how the manufacturers stack up for a given hull/length/engine combination.

Variety is the spice of life.
I don't know if the scale of the Shootout scares away anyone from competing, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, at least to a limited extent. You're right: Most people prefer watching the big-name teams more than the less-glamorous classes. And I suppose that could intimidate would-be competitors with less-glamorous rides.

But in truth there aren't many big-name teams. Try making a list and you'll quickly run out of names. Far more "grass-roots" teams fill out the program during both days of competition.

As for manufacturers competing head to head (meaning factory vs. factory), like you'd I'd love to see that but that's not what's happening. (I haven't seen that sort of competition since the heady Factory I and II class days under the APBA Offshore in the early 2000s.) The entire event is driven by individual powerboat owners who just love the chance to compete. Even if your boat tops out at 80-something miles per hour, if you're at the top of your class that's pretty cool. The Shootout organizers have done an amazing job of creating a class structure that allows everyone—I mean, how much do we all love the pontoon classes?—to compete.

Variety is indeed the spice of life. That's why we devote so much time and energy to covering this event. There's nothing else like it.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

Tylers first run today, 114 mph, with a lot of chine walk at the start of his run!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just saw vid of the Tuff 28' run 117
Old 08-27-2016, 05:15 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

117 with an illmor.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Outerlimits SV29 went 116. Speculation is a 525 with a whipple.(anyone know for sure?) I'd be surprised if it wasn't getting new pulleys and tune right now.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Is the Tuff 28 a totally stock NA engine from ILmor currently for the run ? . It did have a very good run and looked like it was properly set upped. I know it has a Indy drive. Wonder what the weight is of the complete package currently ?.

More Pontoons entered into this run as it seemed liked a big field.

Total how many boats entered in the 2016 Shootout ----- 80 maybe 90 is my guess or am I off base here.

Thanks

Last edited by BUP; 08-27-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:09 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I did have a vested interest watching the single V hulls run this year. We are entering the new 2017 29 Lavey Craft (30.6) ft w/ 8.6 beam full complete cabin with sink - working water in next years Shootout with a totally 100 % NA engine. No way we will be 117 mph but 105 sure would make me very happy. Anyways look for a new boat in the run next year.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I did have a vested interest watching the single V hulls run this year. We are entering the new 2017 29 Lavey Craft (30.6) ft w/ 8.6 beam full complete cabin with sink - working water in next years Shootout with a totally 100 % NA engine. No way we will be 117 mph but 105 sure would make me very happy. Anyways look for a new boat in the run next year.
That'll be bad ass. The 28 Tuff running 117 is impressive, but its not a useful boat for anything. A fully loaded family sportboat running 100+ that you could tow kids on the tube..? Thats awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.