Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it ! >

Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !

Notices

Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !

Old 09-07-2016, 11:30 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow ! 2900 seems very reasonable for a 20' scratch on the side of a custom paint job - look at all the colors in my Cigarette in my avatar - what a pain to match and blend!!
Old 09-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

he (guy that scratched it) should be thanking Richy . . . . . $2900 is more then fair, hell its damn near a gift. To paint at his (Rich's) level is not something the average guy is up to let alone repairing one of the many fades or details in Wills boat. . . . .

Something else to keep in mind a scratch that size many times requires the whole side of the boat to be re cleared. You get to a point where dealing with multiple colors and a blend line that long and its best to just re shoot the whole side. Which i suspect would have been required. as i said . . . .twenty nine hundred is a gift . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-07-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:06 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost of materials had to be almost half of that bill!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

People don't know what they don't know. And in this case they still don't want to know.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I backed into, okay..up, a customers car. Old hunk of crap 944 that doesn't pass inspection believe it or not. So sun faded it was almost white/gray. No body work (dent), just nice long scrape from my receiver ball. He got to pick the place, I would pay thru insurance or cash, obviously I gave him my insurance # in case I tried stiffing him. Car got fixed, the ultra faded blue was extremely tough to match. Cost was almost $2k so I paid cash to to bodyshop. No $$ out of hand for the customer.

It sucked cause car not inspect able (many issues) and he doesn't have or doesn't want to spend the $$$$ to be so, but I did not give customer nor shop grief because I caused the damage.

Point blank, my fault. Case closed.

Edit in: I did offer him the same amount as a credit towards work at my shop if he did not want to get it repaired. Has 3 other cars in family. Believe it or not, he chose to get the scratch/gouge fixed. Crazy ! If you saw the car you'd be bewildered also. But that's what he wanted. Doh ! Again, no fight on my end.

Last edited by SB; 09-07-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

something else worth mentioning while we are on the subject and educating the general public. Those long fades that run the length of the boat are nearly impossible to just simply spot in. Unless the damage is isolated within the graphic by a stripe or sweep or something they really cannot be repaired or spotted, the entire fade needs to be redone and any adjacent graphics need to be delt with individually. Looking at pics of Wills boat . . . . that is one long fade and an amazing use of colors and details. . . . . again dude should be thanking Rich. That boat is amazing . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-07-2016, 12:44 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason for this post is that my 2007 38 Cigarette was damaged at a run by a fellow boater. His boat came loose and scratched the side of my boat, around a 15ft scratch down the side. It was a total accident, and no one was at fault. I was upset, and wanted to call the marine police, but he said he would take care of the scratch, so I did not report it and ruin everyone's day boating, ( my mistake).I then had my boat taken to Richy's Custom Paint to have it fixed, because he was the original painter of my boat when it was new at Cigarette so he knew the boat and I trusted his work. While it was there I decided to have Richy's redo almost the entire paint work on the boat, an I think it came out great!!! very happy with his work and the professional way he did business. As for the $2900 to fix the scratch and the other guy not wanting to pay the bill after he agreed to. It is what it is now. One good thing that did come out of all of this is, my boat looks better then the day it was new!!! Richy is one of [ATTACH=CONFIG]559129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559130[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559131[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559132[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559134[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559135[/ATTACH]the best painter in the business for what he does
Attached Thumbnails Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-img_3682.jpg   Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-img_3681.jpg   Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-img_3683.jpg  

Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-wfna8648.jpg   Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-vpkk9624.jpg   Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-img_4277.jpg  

Reasoning behind paint repair pricing and what it takes to achieve it !-img_4278.jpg  
Old 09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful boat WMF!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Word to the wise, If you can't afford to have your boat painted up like the one you are approaching - STAY AWAY!

Stunning GUN!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
he (guy that scratched it) should be thanking Richy . . . . . $2900 is more then fair, hell its damn near a gift. To paint at his (Rich's) level is not something the average guy is up to let alone repairing one of the many fades or details in Wills boat. . . . .

Something else to keep in mind a scratch that size many times requires the whole side of the boat to be re cleared. You get to a point where dealing with multiple colors and a blend line that long and its best to just re shoot the whole side. Which i suspect would have been required. as i said . . . .twenty nine hundred is a gift . . . .
BINGO!, I had a "painter" tell me he could fix some stuff on my tiger back in 07, he F'd my boat up so bad... it took Glassdave a month and half to straighten out (much less than the 20), to the tune of 15K... I learned the hard way about quality... that's why I cant stand liars and people that basically steal from others that start with good intentions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.