Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input >

Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input

Notices

Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input

Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SB;4488970]Have been or are now ? It's been over the lanes for a while and almost at FL.

This is where it is 15min ago or so. Some parts Fl already starting to get winds and waves and surge

[img]https://s.w

Looks like Freeport is in the bulls eye to get hammered.
I was doing a project there about 10 years ago when it got hit by back to back storms...wiped out everything, and the storms were not even close to what this one is.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbom700
This got me thinking last night after reading this, what do they ships do when there is a hurricane? I know they are huge(been on one) but can they handle the waves and wind of a hurricane? Its not like they move all that fast. I'm honestly kind of shocked they left port knowing they would be going into the potential path of a hurricane.
Larger ships can handle most seas, however the minute they have a propulsion problem or their cargo shifts, they are in deep doo doo. They have had almost a week to be aware of this storm and either head to port or get out of its way. Having said that I spent several very scary days on offshore pipelay barges wearing life jackets 24/7 because the storm got up so fast they couldn't get everyone off
Old 10-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
This got me thinking last night after reading this, what do they ships do when there is a hurricane? I know they are huge(been on one) but can they handle the waves and wind of a hurricane? Its not like they move all that fast. I'm honestly kind of shocked they left port knowing they would be going into the potential path of a hurricane.
Back in day when I was stationed on a destroyer in Mayport FL we had a couple of canes come our way. They would make every ship capable of sailing get underway because they were more worried about the ships sustaining damage being tied to one another and the piers than being out to sea. Then they would take whichever carrier was in port at the time (either the Forrestal or Saratoga) and plunk it down right at the entrance of the Mayport Harbor by taking on ballast and it would act as a huge wave break for ships inside the harbor.

Needless to say we had some pretty good seas to ride out - nothing as big as LOTO but pretty darn big.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
i think a lot of their departure was based on technology and timing of available information on where it was going. i would think they could make good assessments, i have been watching real time maps and schedules and it looks like they are on top of it. The grouping i saw around the next few days is either cancelled if leaving or diverted if returning within that window of high potential. Stephs boat i don't believe ever even saw inclement weather of any kind, that tells me they are well ahead of it. The boat they are on (Oasis of the Sea) i think is the largest cruise ship in the fleet.

list of itineraries/ships affected

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7255

port closures

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7265
http://www.livecruiseshiptracker.com/
Old 10-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Back in day when I was stationed on a destroyer in Mayport FL we had a couple of canes come our way. They would make every ship capable of sailing get underway because they were more worried about the ships sustaining damage being tied to one another and the piers than being out to sea. Then they would take whichever carrier was in port at the time (either the Forrestal or Saratoga) and plunk it down right at the entrance of the Mayport Harbor by taking on ballast and it would act as a huge wave break for ships inside the harbor.

Needless to say we had some pretty good seas to ride out - nothing as big as LOTO but pretty darn big.

Now I dont care who you are that is funny!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I am considering a pro active move of leaving here early Friday morning to go pick them up. in the wake of the best case scenario of tropical storm force how difficult is traffic and getting in and out in hit areas. I just figure if the storm is gonna leave them stranded hell i can get down there and back in three days or so. Just don't want her to be stuck without a place to stay or not knowing if/when flights will resume.

Stay put......The storm is not affecting Miami much at all so that will be a viable airport/seaport if Ft lauderdale isn't an option. East coast will get rocked but since the southern tip and the west coast is unaffected then food/supplies/fuel is somewhat accessible.

I am in Jupiter FL, (northern most time in Palm Beach County, about 15 miles north of Palm Beach) my neighborhood is 95% shuttered up. I have lived here 15 years and had 5-6 storms pass through including 2 in 38 days (Frances/Jean). I have never seen this level of preparation locally.

Full house generator fueled by natural gas is going to be my unknown (it is 12 years old). City water and natural gas will give me a couple of utilities. Heavy duty shutters installed on all 33 windows/doors. Home Depot had fresh load of plywood and tapcons this morning. I bought fuel (topped off) at 2 pm and only had a couple cars waiting in line.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Stay put......The storm is not affecting Miami much at all so that will be a viable airport/seaport if Ft lauderdale isn't an option. East coast will get rocked but since the southern tip and the west coast is unaffected then food/supplies/fuel is somewhat accessible.

I am in Jupiter FL, (northern most time in Palm Beach County, about 15 miles north of Palm Beach) my neighborhood is 95% shuttered up. I have lived here 15 years and had 5-6 storms pass through including 2 in 38 days (Frances/Jean). I have never seen this level of preparation locally.

Full house generator fueled by natural gas is going to be my unknown (it is 12 years old). City water and natural gas will give me a couple of utilities. Heavy duty shutters installed on all 33 windows/doors. Home Depot had fresh load of plywood and tapcons this morning. I bought fuel (topped off) at 2 pm and only had a couple cars waiting in line.
Sounds like you are prepared, personally I will stay up to a 3, 4 or better I am rolling.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee

looks pretty crowded out there when the icons are not scale lol

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

looks as if the worst is passing by, we plan to stay put unless something comes up. I suspect (hope anyways) they will just be in for some delays. With any luck with the weather forecast for Saturday they should not run into to much of it. Stay safe up there in Jupiter, looks like it could get ugly . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 10-06-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Sounds like you are prepared, personally I will stay up to a 3, 4 or better I am rolling.
I have to get back to work as soon as the storm passes so I have never evacuated.

I went through David in 79, Andrew in 92, Frances/Jean 04 and Charlie/Wilma 05.....

Concrete house, full shutters, not in a flood zone but sh!t can still go wrong. I bought a brand new Tahoe 6 weeks ago and it is in my buddy's warehouse as my 2 car garage at home got filled quickly!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Registered

looks pretty crowded out there when the icons are not scale lol

looks as if the worst is passing by, we plan to stay put unless something comes up. I suspect (hope anyways) they will just be in for some delays. With any luck with the weather forecast for Saturday they should not run into to much of it. Stay safe up there in Jupiter, looks like it could get ugly . . . .
Yeah we are about 60 miles from Ft Lauderdale, 90-100 from Miami so I could literally drive to south beach and have a steak dinner tonight (as they are essentially unaffected).

I think Dean (Merritt Island) is going to have some issues tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.