Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses >

Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses

Notices

Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses

Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Team Saris. Lots of guys on this Web Forum have the $ and the time to go buy the fastest thing out there, or campaign an entire season in a GPS capped class, yet they don't join an Organized, Sanctioned Race Association and RACE THEIR BOAT OFF SHORE!

Why is that?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayfan
I agree with Team Saris. Lots of guys on this Web Forum have the $ and the time to go buy the fastest thing out there, or campaign an entire season in a GPS capped class, yet they don't join an Organized, Sanctioned Race Association and RACE THEIR BOAT OFF SHORE!

Why is that?
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the last couple of posts, shootout course length is irrelevant. These cats are made to trap air and fly, and at speeds approaching and in some cases exceeding 200mph, all of the safety systems in the world are not going to prevent these boats from going airborne. They already do that at just about any speed given the right conditions. The safest solution I see, although a large amount of risk would still be involved, is a return to offshore racing roots, where 40'+ deep vees battled head to head in true offshore conditions, like they used to do in offshore racings heyday. Throw in some helo coverage and I think it could be a success in providing some needed exposure to the sport.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny hit it right on the money, Real Canopies!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
Johnny hit it right on the money, Real Canopies!
How will they manage that in a poker run? They cant run unless they are a canopied boat? Then, if its an old race boat it would require serious money for canopy reinforcement that still may not protect a driver. (not mocking just implying this wont be an easy task)

Lots of stuff necessary still for the driver like Hans Device and air.

This chit gets out of control quick. Before you know it you are in a tank not a boat.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
How will they manage that in a poker run? They cant run unless they are a canopied boat? Then, if its an old race boat it would require serious money for canopy reinforcement that still may not protect a driver. (not mocking just implying this wont be an easy task)

Lots of stuff necessary still for the driver like Hans Device and air.

This chit gets out of control quick. Before you know it you are in a tank not a boat.
Slowing down is always an option...
Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Slowing down is always an option...
I know dude, but its apparent that slowing down isnt an option. Which is understandable from both sides... Powerboats inherently attract the adrenaline crowed. We lost too many people this year (let alone other years) Good people keep dying. Keeping the sport fun and still keeping it safe is going to take a collective effort of brains and balls.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
Boats can blow over at much lower speeds early in the course. I think it's time for some different safety considerations. Guys should be harnessed into carbon pods that absorb the impacts or something. Other motorsports require neck restrains and much more safety gear than sitting on some vinyl pads with a helmet on.
Fiore's crash was at similar speeds, very similar aerial launch and still had the same result with a canopy and additional safety measures in place.

I have never gone these speeds in anything except an airplane! I think as a participant of these races/events you need to accept the risk yourself and live your life as you see fit. I don't see the need to run 150+ in a boat (or car but I have in the past), I don't skydive (I have in the past) but I certainly don't want to stop others if they want to. I'm not pressing my will onto others so they can be safer as it is their choice to run their boat the way they want.

On the safety concern, lets say they are more protected but end up paralyzed from the neck down as a result of the accident. Is that better than being dead for these guys? I had an uncle that had a pretty cool life. Raced Porsches, rode Harleys for years (not a biker type guy but a guy that owned a chain of drycleaners!), he rode bikes from New England to Sturgis then on to Southern California. He rode Harleys on the autobahn in Germany! Guy fell off a porch (railing was dry rotted) while taking out the garbage, fell about 15 ft. Broke his neck in 3 places, he stayed alive for about 12 hours (with machines). It was worse than the Christopher Reeve injury, his living will stated......"Disconnect" all artificial life support methods in the event of a vegetative state/paralysis etc. For him, living like Christopher Reeve wasn't living and he died at age 56. The plug got pulled and he lived about 3 minutes.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I know dude, but its apparent that slowing down isnt an option. Which is understandable from both sides... Powerboats inherently attract the adrenaline crowed. We lost too many people this year (let alone other years) Good people keep dying. Keeping the sport fun and still keeping it safe is going to take a collective effort of brains and balls.
I don't understand that slowing down isn't an option. It's an option on the race course where all the safety equipment is there and available. Why isnt it an option at a poker run? That's silly. We all say "ive got the balls ill never lift!" but you know where that gets you at a race? The end of a tow rope with broken stuff. Ill gladly lift before I crash. Certainly don't feel like less of a man for it. SpeedontheWater's newest article does a fantastic job highlighting some big shootout players having the same realization. Hopefully the trend continues.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
I don't understand that slowing down isn't an option. It's an option on the race course where all the safety equipment is there and available. Why isnt it an option at a poker run? That's silly. We all say "ive got the balls ill never lift!" but you know where that gets you at a race? The end of a tow rope with broken stuff. Ill gladly lift before I crash. Certainly don't feel like less of a man for it. SpeedontheWater's newest article does a fantastic job highlighting some big shootout players having the same realization. Hopefully the trend continues.
How many people are still trying to beat Ken Warby's record (including Ken himself and his son!)......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.