24' Pantera vs. 24' SuperBoat

Notices

24' Pantera vs. 24' SuperBoat

Old 10-03-2002, 10:27 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24' Pantera vs. 24' SuperBoat

Hey guys on my poll about 24/25' boats Pantera got a lot more votes and responce than the SuperBoat. Has anyone out there driven or owned both boats, been to the factories. Make a comparison of the two boats, build quality, ride, speed ect.

I'm not trying to start anything here just curious, as to why Superboat didn't get as much of a responce. I think the hulls are similar? They both have a racing heritage. And along with Sutphen are probably the oldest compainies with the original owners.

Kirk
Old 10-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Registered

KN,
How about an update. The small 24 your talking about has had more builders than just the two you named. How about the P&D, or the Martini. To name a couple, and there are lot's more. That boat has been poped more than a back alley hooker.

Extremely good bottom for the rough for a short boat, "but" the beam is, was, and alway's will be too narrow. At 6'8" it begins to chine walk around 68-70 and has a very low freeboard.

There are many boats with better design and ergonomics to pick from in this day and age. However, I still like the classic look of the boat.

Short boats work much better with a little more beam. Run some and see the difference. I can arrange a demo on a Thunder if you like ! Let me know.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:05 PM
KN
Registered

Thanks Bosco I will take you upon that Demo ride when I get a chance. If you don't mind, let me ask you this, how does the 25' PowerPlay run? isn't the beem on that 8'6''? and the bottom 22 degrees, That seems wider than anything else in its class.

Kirk
Old 10-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Truthfully,
One of my personal all time favorites. I have put that boat through hell, and it will take anything you put it against. I have a picture on my wall of a moon shot I took in the early 90's. Almost hit the chopper !!
Her only disatvantage is only a sit down version is available. Some day's you may prefer to stand.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:28 PM
skaterize

leave them all eating propwash get a 24 SKATER! good luck choosing. If it had to be a V get the thunder.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to own a 24'Superboat with a Gale Banks twin turbo big block. It was extremely fast for what it was, ran a 29p Mirage plus at 6300 rpm

The boat was a real scary ride at speed and chine walked vilolently Although, it did not have external steering.It took a real beating in the rough water and was solid as a rock.

Kurt.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I own a 24 Superboat. I will agree with some other comments to a point. The boat is very fast. It does chine walk at times. I would not say violently. You do have to really "drive" the boat. I have k-planes and external steering on mine. You don't hear much about them because they only make a few a year.

I think 500 HP is tops for that hull. That would put it easily over 80 mph. It depends what you are looking for and where you boat. Some people immediatley start talking about how their boat rides great in 4-6 footers, etc. Well, 90% of my boating is in 1-3 footers. If I was running in bigger water all the time I would get a bigger boat.

For most people money is a object when purchasing a boat. The Pantera and some of the others mentioned are very nice and probably finished better but are considerably more $$. I haven't rode in the others except for the Baja and Velocity so I can't compare the ride.

My .02, I like the boat and that's what matters to me. If you are in the MD/VA area I would gladly take you for a ride.

Dave M.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:19 AM
GRH

DAVE M - I have a friend that had an older...1990 PANTERA 24... he had over 600hp in the boat & it ran out of bottom over 80.... he's been in my 24 SUPERBOAT... which is a '96... and he said my boat felt a lot lighterthen his PANTERA, and sat higher in the water then his PANTERA.... as you know my boat has, Dynoed 500HP.... it runs on GPS 83 and change with me alone & half tank of gas..... the speedo will show 89-90.... it is a boat that your have to drive.... but its nothing compared to driving my old 17 Hydrostream @90+.... now that was a handful... The Chinwalking
starts in the mid 70's & you have to drive through it... I don't think the boat needs to be any faster.... Landing it can be tricky... you don't want to pull the nose down to fast at 75+.... But I don't think there was another boat on that list that with the same power could run with either the SUPERBOAT or PANTERA... PANTERA probably got more attentionbecause I believe it has a more impressive race record... the guy that builds them is a hell of a race boat driver & has been in a lot more races then SUPERBOATS.... 6 of 1.... half dozenof another.... I bought SUPERBOAT because I live in the Northeast... if I lived in the south(Fla)... probably would have bought PANTERA... they build a gorgeous boat!

Old 10-04-2002, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

my 2001 24 superboat with a 300X and hydrolic jackplate runs 74 on gps with a 4 blade trophy plus 24p. I haven't had alot of time to test other props but so far the trophy is the best all around. I should have purchased it in the 1st place but bought a donzi blackhawk 22. It cuts the chop well, and handles much better the the prev. one. Being from L.I. I've always admired their looks and appreciate the freeboard when it gets snotty out. I too love the panteras for their style and heritage. I believe that Superboat provides a good value.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Registered

I think its pretty sinple. Superboat is built lighter(i'm not saying weaker just lighter) and geared more twords top end. The Pantera is built like a Brick chit house and geared twords rough water. Both great boats.

Quick Reply: 24' Pantera vs. 24' SuperBoat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.