Notices

Octane Booster?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Octane Booster?

If you have a motor that requires 91 octane and only have fuel dock's available to you with 89 octane. What can you do? Can you add "octane booster" to make up for the difference? Is that not recommended ? Thanks guy's
Old 12-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Look into boostane.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torco, not cheap but helps. Or pick up some race gas at local gas stations and mix.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

one must be very carefull when going these routes.. It can be done safely with education and expenditure.

You are not going to go to Autozone, pick up 4 cans of 104 octane boost and turn 87 octane into 93 much less race gas.

You can get boostane or similar and achieve it.

Personally, I believe in building a motor for available fuel. Sooner or later you are going to find yourself low on gas sitting at a fuel dock at the mercy of what they have.

Of course this reuires an understanding of why your motor needs the octane it does, Compression? Timing? Boost?? etc... You can also "overoctane" which can actually result in decreased performance.

You are also going to need to accurately mix it at the gas dock, that will involve storing a quantity somewhere on the boat, measuring it and and pouring it into the tank at a busy gas dock on Saturday afternoon.

Im not trying to discourage you, only make you aware of what you are really asking. Its not all that difficult, its just not quite as easy as dumping a bottle of STP fuel treatment into the tank of the griswald family truckster every other fillup
Old 12-18-2016, 01:52 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

BooStain?

Our first hand experience...... I know it started melting one of the funnels we used to pour it, and then of course it can be easy to spill just a bit, especially if you are pouring and it is windy outside. It wrecked the paint on a freshly matte silver BMW M3.

Although Boostane does work, the "secret" ingredients that make it work are also what make it extremely volatile, and it will start melting and staining plastics and paints. Although they do put a small warning on the container of the product, it is in fine print. My last contact with the representatives at boostain have no intentions of making this clear to their customers. Even when we them on the spot about not making clear warning labels on the product, his answer was "We don't want to scare away potential users." Unless they have changed anything since then, they are completely side stepping the issue's with the product and recklessly selling it to the public without making clear warnings about the potential issue's with it.

Last edited by Coolerman; 12-18-2016 at 02:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PROP STAR (02-27-2022)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Registered

Like phragle said, mixing gas is dangerous unless you know what you're doing. I personally have a trailered boat and use premium 93 pump gas for my engines. I keep a can of Torco onboard for the emergency situation on the water when I can only get 89.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be filling up Only at gas docks. I found a gas dock that sells 91octane but it is a ride from me. I will use a 1/4 tank getting it. I thought there may be an easier route. Thanks!!!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1
I will be filling up Only at gas docks. I found a gas dock that sells 91octane but it is a ride from me. I will use a 1/4 tank getting it. I thought there may be an easier route. Thanks!!!
There is an easier way, and piece of mind....one can of Boostane per tank fill up...or one can per 100gal. I can tell you several stories of exploding motors first hand due to bad gas in the past. Also had a buddy of mine that grenaded a motor last summer from filling up at a local marina and forgot to add Boostane...expensive lesson

Detonated motors from bad gas has to be the single largest reason motors go "BOOM" in my opinion. I'm not a salesman for Boostane but I can tell you that it works and I won't run my boat without it...not just for the octane, but more for the fuel treatment and conditioning elements (and yes, you have to be careful not to get it on your paint...it is was it is...don't think I have seen any huge warnings on brake fluid containers for this issue either)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I need 93 and have been using Boostane for a couple yrs with no problems. I carry a case of it when I travel and I know I won't be able to get 93.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

there is a product called race gas in a bottle or I would give Rocket brand fuel a call and ask for Tim. He by far is the expert about fuels. Super nice guy as well. A world of knowledge and will shoot you straight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.