Like Tree0Likes

Opinions of surface drives

Old 10-07-2002, 07:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: yeah....that one

MARK,

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CAT MY BRO HAS ONE

COMPLETELY RE GEL COATED. EVERYTHING WAS STRIPPED, NEW INTERIOR FROM AL'S(OUTERLIMITS) WITH SKATER FIVE MAN BACK SEAT, ARNESON COMPLETELY REBUILT BY ARENSON AND TOTALLY POWDERCOATED, ROCKER PLATES, FRSH 572/900HP+ ZUL ENGINES ALL EICKERT ACCS, 3 STAGE PUMPS NEW INTERCOOLERS, STELLINGS, MSD IGNITION,TRI AXLE TRAILER....ANYWAY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
Old 10-07-2002, 08:57 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1992 450hp Senza Spectre 25'

Id like to Rig a powerglide to a asd-6 not sure what size stall converter I would use? the asd6's used are cheap without a trans and well everyone knows what a powerglide can be had for
Old 10-07-2002, 08:59 PM
JGB
Registered

Thanks A Bunch Steve, I really appreciate it. I like the Harley for the same reasons you do and was really intrigued by the performance for such a huge boat. I think it has a 10 1.2 ft beam maybe 11 1/2?

I am amazed you hit 50 mph with twin 502s, I would like to hit 50 with diesel power.

Any pictures of your project before and after would be great and i would love to continue this discussion in the future at your leisure. My Email is [email protected].

thanks again and look forward to future discussions and pics.

James
Old 10-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Baja 190 DSR

Going fast w/ surface drive is easy to control. What about when you need precision around the docks? dosent that piss you off, seeing someone with one of the nicest boats youve seen but they have no idea how to drive it?
Old 10-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 04 27' activator

I owned an Arnseon 6A drop center with gears once. Bought it new from arneson when they bought it back from borg-warner.What a great drive!. Came complete with steering ram , trim ram , pump, prop and coupler. I first bolted it to an Avenger converted inboard with a 327 small block and it went like hell. I than picked up a 24' panther [popoff of a superboat but with a pad] and placed the arneson with an LS6 454 450hp. Worked out very well and was fantastic on fuel. Takes a little getting used to with single engine [ wanted to pull to the right when backing down fast] don't think twins have that problem. It never broke and I beat the hell out of it. I wish I had bought the bronze model that they offered. If I had I would still own it and just kept swapping from boat to boat.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 04 27' activator

Know what would be cool. A twin arneson/single engine setup.How about it Howard?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Registered

Too Old, As for power draw on the Arneson , I don't think it takes much . With the drive coupler off I can spin the input shaft turning the entire drive and prop shaft with my finger tips with ease!! I actualy had to look over the back and see that it was still attached ! It was too easy ....

WWW TOPDJ COM, The power glide would be cool if you needed it but you wouldn't need a torque converter. Just run a direct drive coupler the all boat trans do .

HyperBaja, I have no problem at all with docking or handleing in anyway with mine . The only thing is with 1.32 gears and 17 1/2x32 pich props , when you put it in gear you are going to jump fast and far as with all boats with big power . The other thing is backing up . Even with only 1 engine in reverse it goes so fast in about 10 seconds it throughs water over the transom . It's hell if you have to back out of a slip or lagoon ! But it handles fine . I think all of it is who's behind the wheel .
Old 10-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Registered

OOOPPPPPSSS , Sorry Steve . Didn't mean that thing about who's behind the wheel ...... Your post wasn't there when I was typing ...... Can you forgive me ??
Old 10-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Wellcraft KAAMA Excalibur Cat 30

Mine are the KAAMA's that Boot mentioned earlier, and so far these things are great. (nothing but big and beefy inside them). Handling at higher speed seems to be fine, just a little less reactive on the cat. Bit it feels very safe.

At the slower speeds (docking, on to the trailer, in-and-out of boats etc) I've been using the Fwd/Rev method versus steering. It has such a wide arc (mine at least), just seems easier the other way. And that works just fine.

One comment though. With the twins, if you loose an engine for some reason its more like guiding in the Space Shuttle. It don't steer with just one.

Bob
Old 10-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Registered

Kaamacat, You are right there !!!

IF you loose 1 motor , The other won't steer for **** !!! In other words if you are using only the right motor , It won't make a right turn . IT will go left fine but not right . Even with it turned hard to the right . When I go into a lagoon or marina I leave them both running and use the left engine to make right turns and the right motor to make left turns ! Either one will go straight but only turns one way . Now on my old V bottom , 40' formula with Kaamas , you couldn't tell them from bravos at the dock .......

Last edited by boot; 10-08-2002 at 01:54 PM.