Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinions of surface drives >

Opinions of surface drives

Notices

Opinions of surface drives

Old 10-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What does “keep them straight” mean? Isn't there a mechanical tie bar on the Arneson's like every other drive?

When you mount a drive at the surface, you are not running sub-level, merely at the top so there still is no positive trim to be had. This is why I believe, with the elevated X dimensions of today’s drives, manufacturers have made the boat carry itself by better hull designs more than relying upon the lift coming from the trimming out of the sub-surfaced drives.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bootless
Right Lets say a properly designed Bottom! (As there are a hell of a lot more improperly designed around)Also check out the Cat picture that Too Old Posted that has a Hydraulic tie bar for one,

But the other is look at that particular Steering setup, the Ball socket position in relation to the Rams you see what happens in a turn there! The Geometry is a little funky.

As far as strength and reliability in a Stern drive System the Arneson is the best !
Old 10-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HyperBaja, I read that article and thought it was very ineresting.I think this twin single stuff started on drag boats with v drives. I just think that surface drives work better as twins than a single,but singles are still great. Just have to get used to the boat wanting to make unexpected turn when backing off throttle, so I thought that a twin/single setup or even a duo prop version might cure this and maybe have more benefits. Hell, if they were able to build shifting into say the drop center housing and bring the engine back that I think would be a big plus.Getting back to the original question on this thread.I think one of the reasons why you don't see a whole lot of surface drives is that those props sticking out of the water 3' back scares the nornal everyday boater and even the mild performance boater [oh boy what if somebody falls into that thing!!!] I think they are great and if I had the cash to buy them, I'd be bolting them on my cobra. I also think I think toooo much
Old 10-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve1. My KAAMAs have an hydraulic tie-bar setup, which is basically a set of rams identical to the steering rams, looped to each other. With all the air out, and seals in good shape the work great. (and this took me a while to figure out).

Bob
Old 10-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

When would adjust it under way? Under what conditions?
Old 10-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kaama I probably saw the first one.

It had a hand pump from a porta power Jack! The trick was tracking the drives we used 6” stroke Italian control cables on the steering rams and a separate trim panel.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

RonP......Dont know if that was a question back to me, so.

Its actually kinda simple. When you push in on one ram, the other has to go in the opposit direction. If there is no air in the lines or ram (just some ATF fluid..etc), its rock solid. The problem with mine would be that i'd have to fabricate a 5"+ riser on the drives to get a solid tie-bar to clear the tunnel.

So on mine, the steering rams are on the outer sides of the drives, and the tiebar rams are inner. The same exact rams.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

It sounded like you would change the toe in and toe out using the tie bar. Why is it movable? For what reason?
Old 10-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron
It had to be “Touched up” Once in a while as there is tremendous pressure there and the Hydraulics leaked down a little, Also a trim change necessitated a Tie bar adjustment!

This was on the cats as a solid tie bar would have been in the tunnel on the early race boats !
Old 10-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron
The first ones with an Electric trim Pump We had to use solenoid valves so as the Tie bar pressure would not push back into the mercury or Kiekhaefer trim pumps so you see the forces involved here.