Notices

POP Yachts?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the only one that had a chest pain looking at that photo. As if towing the snow was not bad enough, it does not have a cover on it either. My chest hurts.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

I used them to sell my 30 Mystique and my dads 22 Donzi Blackhawk. Went rather smooth. I recall their percentage to be 10%, but that was back in 2014, so maybe they changed it.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used them to buy and it seemed like more work , I set up survey , haul out and test drive and had to keep them in the loop too. Then the book keeping side took their turn , down to not doing the math correct when asking price changed after sea trail.
They do get a boat seen from a larger audience but stay on top of things when dealing thru them.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't speak for selling but they are useless as a buyer. I've had contacts with POP for a few boats they've listed. The broker/sales reps are clueless as to knowledge of the boats they have listed, most are not even in the area of the boat.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Registered

seems like they troll craigslists for boats for sale, pick up a bunch of listings by promising to get crazy money for boats, than hope to sell them. meanwhile the boat probably sits, the owner ends up getting what the boat is worth in the first place, minus their commission. I understand the brokerage thing, but it seems like you'd be better off finding a good dealer that brokers boats and go on with life
Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Registered

Maybe they've changed, but last time I was shopping I tried to reach them about a boat they were "selling." The guy knew absolutely nothing about the boat in question - not even stuff you could get from the ad itself. Had no pictures, could not tell me anything about it, wasn't sure where it was, etc. After some interweb searching, I found the same boat, with the same pictures, on another site. When I reached the owner, he told me that he had never talked to POP Yachts and had no idea why they were listing his boat. Needless to say, he was not particularly happy.

YMMV...
Old 01-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried them a few years ago when I was selling my 25 outlaw. They advertised it on the same sites I already had it on and a few others. When it came down to it, the 10% commission wasnt worth it. I had to mark it up to make up for that money and wasnt willing to part with $2500-$3000 off of a $25k sale.

Your better off putting it on a few sites like OSO, and a few others that are fee based and several are free!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Registered

Just saw a boat come up with a pop tag that I know they are not listing. also, finding out alot of the sites like boat trader and powerboatlistings are showing alot of phantom boats. so far, the best sites I've seen for used boats is this one and craigslist. group on facebook is pretty good too
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

They tried to sell me a stolen boat that they claimed checked out fine on their end. A simple google search of the HIN yielded a recovery agent's ad by me. I then ran the HIN at my own cost and it came back as a possible stolen boat. I called POP and asked WTF, they called the recovery agent and left a message before I could call during their normal business hours and POP got the reward. Thiefs X2!!

I would at minimum not believe a word they say.