Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone near Apollo beach FL. >

Anyone near Apollo beach FL.

Notices

Anyone near Apollo beach FL.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 835 Likes on 354 Posts

Wait wait, icdedppl, didn't you mention eating a bullet in the same sentence as owning a triple not too long ago?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Soo your are going from a Cigarette that was hand built, and you know and have fixed all the problems ,and now is a 10 of a 10 from what I have heard.

To a old saltwater production built boat that is missing an inch off the forward keel from it sitting grinding in the seashells while it's 3rd owner who is a 1st time boat owner sits under his umbrella in his redneck lawn chair on the beach swigging Pabst Blue Ribbon and telling the Ladies he is Reggie Fountain.

I can see the Logic.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Soo your are going from a Cigarette that was hand built, and you know and have fixed all the problems ,and now is a 10 of a 10 from what I have heard.

To a old saltwater production built boat that is missing an inch off the forward keel from it sitting grinding in the seashells while it's 3rd owner who is a 1st time boat owner sits under his umbrella in his redneck lawn chair on the beach swigging Pabst Blue Ribbon and telling the Ladies he is Reggie Fountain.

I can see the Logic.
not to derail the thread but I am kind of new to this boating thing so let me ask a question if I may.

so you are telling us a Cigarette is hand built ,but a Fountain is a production boat so I guess my question is if fountain is not hand build like a Cigarette then how are Fountain built? robots?monkeys? donkeys? I mean really did Reggie just tap his heels and poof comes a 47 Fountain?

And I guess my other question would be,if fountain is a production built dealer stock boat and Cigarette is custom ordered hand built boat ,what does that make a dealer stock Cigarette? would that be a custom ordered hand built production Cigarette???LOL
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
not to derail the thread but I am kind of new to this boating thing so let me ask a question if I may.

so you are telling us a Cigarette is hand built ,but a Fountain is a production boat so I guess my question is if fountain is not hand build like a Cigarette then how are Fountain built? robots?monkeys? donkeys? I mean really did Reggie just tap his heels and poof comes a 47 Fountain?

And I guess my other question would be,if fountain is a production built dealer stock boat and Cigarette is custom ordered hand built boat ,what does that make a dealer stock Cigarette? would that be a custom ordered hand built production Cigarette???LOL

As far as the Cig's and some being stock units.....yes they are custom order by the dealer. Cig does not just build them and ship them. They are ordered by spec.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

All boats are more or less hand built .

Cigarette is built in limited quantities by what I would believe would be some of the best help in the business.

Fountain was built mass produced by any body that could breath most likely. Cheap help in that area, not often you see cheap help give a crap.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
As far as the Cig's and some being stock units.....yes they are custom order by the dealer. Cig does not just build them and ship them. They are ordered by spec.
so are the fountains,so were the Bajas,so were the Powerquest etc somebody orders them.if you think they are like Bayliner were they produce 1000 18 footers and distributed them to their dealer ships to sell you are wrong.
have a friend that was one of the biggest Baja dealers in the country for close to 30 years,,every Baja he had in stock was custom ordered to his specs,I myself have bought numerous new boats none were Cigarettes or Fountains and every one I had to pick my engines,colors vinyl,blah blah
so one way ore another they are custom
Old 03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Registered

All boats are more or less hand built .

Cigarette is built in limited quantities by what I would believe would be some of the best help in the business.

Fountain was built mass produced by any body that could breath most likely. Cheap help in that area, not often you see cheap help give a crap.
well I would think they are built in limited quantities because of orders they take in,,I am sure Skipp never turned anybody away that wanted to give him money..lol

Fountain had to have some quality people there dont you think? after all Fountain made everything in house,rub rails,exhaust,farings,windsheilds, paint,,dash panels,,etc

trust me when I tell I dont give a $hit but lets keep it real
Old 03-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I don't even take deposits. If you want the boat come buy it, if not bye bye. Most people that keep deposits on principle suck IMO.
I've never taken a deposit either, I'm just saying "if" I'd did then the guy backs out for some dumb reason then I'm keeping his deposit or a portion of it depending on size.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Registered

well I would think they are built in limited quantities because of orders they take in,,I am sure Skipp never turned anybody away that wanted to give him money..lol

Fountain had to have some quality people there dont you think? after all Fountain made everything in house,rub rails,exhaust,farings,windsheilds, paint,,dash panels,,etc

trust me when I tell I dont give a $hit but lets keep it real
Years ago I worked building big custom epoxy/ juniper Sportfishing boats in the Carolina's. Good help was hard to find.

And it is nasty smelly itchy work Short of working in the upholstery department.

Worked with many a breather. not worth the money they made and costs that resulted from their phukups.

Cigarette survived the turn down. And skip may have took your order ,but you probably didn't get a delivery date for another year or so.

Fountain was growing so fast and had such huge overhead that they had to crank out the boats to feed their advertising and racing budget. It just grew and grew until it was unsustainable.

I agree with the Custom remark.most all boats are special order hence Custom.

Let's just say limited production constructed by the book .
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Registered

Years ago I worked building big custom epoxy/ juniper Sportfishing boats in the Carolina's. Good help was hard to find.

And it is nasty smelly itchy work Short of working in the upholstery department.

Worked with many a breather. not worth the money they made and costs that resulted from their phukups.

Cigarette survived the turn down. And skip may have took your order ,but you probably didn't get a delivery date for another year or so.

Fountain was growing so fast and had such huge overhead that they had to crank out the boats to feed their advertising and racing budget. It just grew and grew until it was unsustainable.

I agree with the Custom remark.most all boats are special order hence Custom.

Let's just say limited production constructed by the book .
hey I hear what you are saying

all I can tell is a good friend ordered a brand new 39 T/G in 2008 had it in about 5/6 months a little less time than my Powerquest builds took,,they took about 7 months,

a couple of years later the cabin vinyl came apart,than soon after that the cockpit seats in the rear started coming apart,Cigarette fixed it under warranty but they did not take the boat back at the factory ( although when I had issues with my Powerquest they came and picked it up dropped it off as well) , the dealer farmed it out to some small shop and it looked like it .
I also spent some time in the bilge of that 39 as well,,WTF do they not own a shop vac?? really. so not sure I agree with your high end quality people comment

Last edited by boatnt; 03-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.