Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping has become frustrating.... >

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Notices

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
true ,if you were working your way up of course you be making more money since you reached senior lever,,what about the guys that were senior level then,are
they makine 3-4x more now ?
Getting a little off topic here....I think that is just the natural career progression. I remember finding out how much other people in my field made back then and thought holy chit! I'm in the IT field and it's a never ending cycle of learning, certifications, etc. Otherwise, you become obsolete, easily replaceable, and don't make more $$.

According to this link, the average salary in the US has about doubled since 1995.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/AWI.html

My point is that I think most expenses are relative. Salaries and the cost of houses, boats, cars, food, etc.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Getting a little off topic here....I think that is just the natural career progression. I remember finding out how much other people in my field made back then and thought holy chit! I'm in the IT field and it's a never ending cycle of learning, certifications, etc. Otherwise, you become obsolete, easily replaceable, and don't make more $$.

According to this link, the average salary in the US has about doubled since 1995.

My point is that I think most expenses are relative. Salaries and the cost of houses, boats, cars, food, etc.
I need to look at that more but it says "index" I don't believe that is a straight average wage. Even if it is it doesn't account for cost of living increases.

That said, I know myself and a lot of people I know are making a non adjusted wage about what we made in 2002-2004 range. Some less.

And of course most everything other then gas is a lot higher.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

about double is one thing,you said 3-4 times,,big difference,
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I need to look at that more but it says "index" I don't believe that is a straight average wage. Even if it is it doesn't account for cost of living increases.

That said, I know myself and a lot of people I know are making a non adjusted wage about what we made in 2002-2004 range. Some less.

And of course most everything other then gas is a lot higher.

I make less than I did 6 years ago and have more schooling now then I did then.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
about double is one thing,you said 3-4 times,,big difference,
Yes, the above link says average. Me, I'm somewhat of a slacker, but I've been at the right place at the right time, changed jobs at the right time, and been just plain lucky..
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here buy a new boat in the last couple of years?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jwws9999
Few people hear have on this site with build post along the way.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did last year. Mainly because "boat shopping was frustrating". I always said that I would NEVER buy a new boat. I wanted something 2-4 yrs. old with a particular list of options. I was having a hard time finding exactly what I wanted and the prices people were asking changed my mind. I got a new boat for what I considered a good deal compared to the used market.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did last year. Mainly because "boat shopping was frustrating". I always said that I would NEVER buy a new boat. I wanted something 2-4 yrs. old with a particular list of options. I was having a hard time finding exactly what I wanted and the prices people were asking changed my mind. I got a new boat for what I considered a good deal compared to the used market.

do they get list price for a new boat, maijnly I'm asking because there's alot of talk about the crazy prices of new boats, and I'm wondering if they list them high and give big discounts. And I'm primarily interested in more of the production boats like baja fountain and formula
Old 03-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm wondering if they list them high and give big discounts.
Yes, pretty much the same game that car dealers play. The thing with boats is that the list of options is endless. So, it makes it harder to compare even the same make/model of boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.