Like Tree191Likes

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 PM
  #1
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
formula1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southwest, FL
My Boats: Formula 292-Sold! :(
Posts: 865
Default Boat shopping has become frustrating....

I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the place, mostly over priced which is why most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).

Last edited by formula1; 03-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.
formula1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM
  #2
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,212
Default

Did you give up on looking for a Concept? I see a few on Yachtworld that have been there forever. I wonder why they don't lower the price? I guess people are keeping boats these days too. Only 500 FS here, there used to be closer to 1000 most of the yr.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merritt Island, FL
My Boats: 91 Scarab Sport 30 Twin 225 EFI's
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post
I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the [lace, ostly over priced which is why
most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).
I'd say call some of them up and offer a fair price on them. I just sold my 312 and I priced it to sell. It was a good deal for me and the buyer, no real haggling of prices. Just a fair price for me and him. Some of the prices are down right ridiculous and I wonder where they are coming up with them.
racinfast002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 AM
  #4
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Taunton Ma
My Boats: 33 Fountain 35 Mainship
Posts: 6,865
Default

A lot of people believe there boat is worth a lot more than it really is and brokers are stuck listing it high. I have customers that I have to tell them "listen you're going to own this boat for a long time at this price"
Unlimited jd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM
  #5
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
CLASSIC MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
My Boats: 1997 Scarab 29
Posts: 70
Default

I've been shopping over the same period as you and have noticed similar seller behavior. I think it's a byproduct of our current economy being strong. You have tons of guys putting a high price on their luxury cars/boats/whatever and it's a "if I can't get my price I'll just keep it" environment. Don't expect it to change until we see a drop in the stock market after a record 8 year bull run and/or home values finally stop rising in most markets. Everything goes in cycles, and people are very confident out there right now. Just my opinion, good luck.

Last edited by CLASSIC MUSCLE; 03-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.
CLASSIC MUSCLE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 AM
  #6
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 660
Default

A lot of buyers want to buy a good boat for a steal of a price and when buyers don't get their way they become upset. Buyers want boats in brand new condition for low ball prices.
272bajadriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE View Post
I've been shopping over the same period as you and have noticed similar seller behavior. I think it's a byproduct of our current economy being strong. You have tons of guys putting a high price on their luxury cars/boats/whatever and it's a "if I can't get my price I'll just keep it" environment. Don't expect it to change until we see a drop in the stock market after a record 8 year bull run and/or home values finally stop rising in most markets. Everything goes in cycles, and people are very confident out there right now. Just my opinion, good luck.
This along with reduced inventory of quality used boats.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:07 AM
  #8
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
formula1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southwest, FL
My Boats: Formula 292-Sold! :(
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Did you give up on looking for a Concept? I see a few on Yachtworld that have been there forever. I wonder why they don't lower the price? I guess people are keeping boats these days too. Only 500 FS here, there used to be closer to 1000 most of the yr.
Well, there's not much out there and I have seen the one's on Yachtworld. So, you can see my point of the opening statement. There was a 99 I asked about in the Concept section. But, I guess it
sold with 800 hour 2 stroke Johnsons for $10k over NADA. ugh.
formula1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
  #9
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
formula1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southwest, FL
My Boats: Formula 292-Sold! :(
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
I'd say call some of them up and offer a fair price on them. I just sold my 312 and I priced it to sell. It was a good deal for me and the buyer, no real haggling of prices. Just a fair price for me and him. Some of the prices are down right ridiculous and I wonder where they are coming up with them.
Yeah, that was a great deal! Too bad I missed your boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE View Post
I've been shopping over the same period as you and have noticed similar seller behavior. I think it's a byproduct of our current economy being strong. You have tons of guys putting a high price on their luxury cars/boats/whatever and it's a "if I can't get my price I'll just keep it" environment. Don't expect it to change until we see a drop in the stock market after a record 8 year bull run and/or home values finally stop rising in most markets. Everything goes in cycles, and people are very confident out there right now. Just my opinion, good luck.
Good luck to you too! My feeling is if you list it for sale, then sell it! Don't just stick it out there for a year to "see if I get my price". When I make a decision to sell something, I price it reasonable with some negotiating
room and make my best deal. But, I'm not going to try to "sell" something by leaving it in the market for a year. That's just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 272bajadriver View Post
A lot of buyers want to buy a good boat for a steal of a price and when buyers don't get their way they become upset. Buyers want boats in brand new condition for low ball prices.
Every buyer wants a "good boat for a steal of a price". But, I believe every buyer wants a "good boat for a good deal" not having to settle for just an overpriced boat.
formula1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
rak rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Thailand
My Boats: 27 ZR
Posts: 1,724
Default

I feel your frustration.
I'm looking too and the best help I've been offered is from guys on here. +1 to OSO.

Keep at it, something will turn up that's just right!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
rak rua is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.