Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping has become frustrating.... >

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Notices

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat shopping has become frustrating....

I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the place, mostly over priced which is why most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).

Last edited by formula1; 03-15-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you give up on looking for a Concept? I see a few on Yachtworld that have been there forever. I wonder why they don't lower the price? I guess people are keeping boats these days too. Only 500 FS here, there used to be closer to 1000 most of the yr.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formula1
I have been looking for a new boat since the end of last summer. It seems that almost all the boats I have been looking at are still for sale and nothing new has shown up. Prices are all over the [lace, ostly over priced which is why
most of the boats I have been looking at have been for sale for six months plus. Why bother putting your boat for sale if you don't really want to sell it? The brokers are just as bad. Why take a listing if you don't price it to sell?
And, Mr/ Broker, it might help if you called a prospective buyer back once in a while. Jeeese..... Sorry, had to vent.... FWIW, I have been looking at a 30-33 foor Formula (303, 312.336).
I'd say call some of them up and offer a fair price on them. I just sold my 312 and I priced it to sell. It was a good deal for me and the buyer, no real haggling of prices. Just a fair price for me and him. Some of the prices are down right ridiculous and I wonder where they are coming up with them.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

A lot of people believe there boat is worth a lot more than it really is and brokers are stuck listing it high. I have customers that I have to tell them "listen you're going to own this boat for a long time at this price"
Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been shopping over the same period as you and have noticed similar seller behavior. I think it's a byproduct of our current economy being strong. You have tons of guys putting a high price on their luxury cars/boats/whatever and it's a "if I can't get my price I'll just keep it" environment. Don't expect it to change until we see a drop in the stock market after a record 8 year bull run and/or home values finally stop rising in most markets. Everything goes in cycles, and people are very confident out there right now. Just my opinion, good luck.

Last edited by CLASSIC MUSCLE; 03-15-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of buyers want to buy a good boat for a steal of a price and when buyers don't get their way they become upset. Buyers want boats in brand new condition for low ball prices.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
I've been shopping over the same period as you and have noticed similar seller behavior. I think it's a byproduct of our current economy being strong. You have tons of guys putting a high price on their luxury cars/boats/whatever and it's a "if I can't get my price I'll just keep it" environment. Don't expect it to change until we see a drop in the stock market after a record 8 year bull run and/or home values finally stop rising in most markets. Everything goes in cycles, and people are very confident out there right now. Just my opinion, good luck.
This along with reduced inventory of quality used boats.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Did you give up on looking for a Concept? I see a few on Yachtworld that have been there forever. I wonder why they don't lower the price? I guess people are keeping boats these days too. Only 500 FS here, there used to be closer to 1000 most of the yr.
Well, there's not much out there and I have seen the one's on Yachtworld. So, you can see my point of the opening statement. There was a 99 I asked about in the Concept section. But, I guess it
sold with 800 hour 2 stroke Johnsons for $10k over NADA. ugh.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I'd say call some of them up and offer a fair price on them. I just sold my 312 and I priced it to sell. It was a good deal for me and the buyer, no real haggling of prices. Just a fair price for me and him. Some of the prices are down right ridiculous and I wonder where they are coming up with them.
Yeah, that was a great deal! Too bad I missed your boat!

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
Good luck to you too! My feeling is if you list it for sale, then sell it! Don't just stick it out there for a year to "see if I get my price". When I make a decision to sell something, I price it reasonable with some negotiating
room and make my best deal. But, I'm not going to try to "sell" something by leaving it in the market for a year. That's just dumb.

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
A lot of buyers want to buy a good boat for a steal of a price and when buyers don't get their way they become upset. Buyers want boats in brand new condition for low ball prices.
Every buyer wants a "good boat for a steal of a price". But, I believe every buyer wants a "good boat for a good deal" not having to settle for just an overpriced boat.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

I feel your frustration.
I'm looking too and the best help I've been offered is from guys on here. +1 to OSO.

Keep at it, something will turn up that's just right!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-15-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.