Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping has become frustrating.... >

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Notices

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke427
Back to the subject, I agree with the original message. When I was shopping late 2015 I made an offer on the 800 ZUL powered 39 NT that Shrogen (Pier 57) had listed. It was listed at $159k, I offered $135k and the guy just flat said, nope gotta get a lot closer to the asking price. I never called back. Pretty sure a few months later the asking price was down to $139k. Prior to that I tried to deal on a Donzi listed at Performance for I'm pretty sure asking price was $149k. I started at $125k and the salesman said the owner turned it down so I asked any counter? This was after I waited and waited and never heard anything so I called back. He said owner wants to full amount, not sure if he really wants to sell it etc... Then don't list it.
QUESTION. If he was asking $159k, why would you offer him $25k less...thats ridiculous and insulting.
If he wanted $135k, wouldn't he be asking that? This is why "sellers" have the attitude when buyers call on an adv, they get sick and tired of wasting their time on low ball offers.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, back on topic...

Back to the subject, I agree with the original message. When I was shopping late 2015 I made an offer on the 800 ZUL powered 39 NT that Shrogen (Pier 57) had listed. It was listed at $159k, I offered $135k and the guy just flat said, nope gotta get a lot closer to the asking price. I never called back. Pretty sure a few months later the asking price was down to $139k. Prior to that I tried to deal on a Donzi listed at Performance for I'm pretty sure asking price was $149k. I started at $125k and the salesman said the owner turned it down so I asked any counter? This was after I waited and waited and never heard anything so I called back. He said owner wants to full amount, not sure if he really wants to sell it etc... Then don't list it.

That's funny. When I bought my boat, I was talking with the seller, and I pointed out a comparable (but less desirable to me) boat on the market for $9500 less, and without blinking, he dropped the price $9k over the phone. He was pretty desperate to get rid of it though, since he was going to pick up his new boat in a few weeks and needed this one gone. I've driven to look at boats before and been disappointed in what the seller thinks is "mint.....9/10...etc" and what my expectations of those descriptions are.
I didn't have high hopes when I drove 12 hours to look at it / drag it home, but it was even nicer than the guy claimed. THAT NEVER HAPPENS! lol.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea Wasted, sounds like you got the royal treatment and deal!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 729 Likes on 326 Posts

Warning thread hijack.
Who is buying all the big motorhomes ? Most dealerships have a significant inventory of Class A and pusher types. Many class A sticker at $2ooK and pushers are higher.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Warning thread hijack.
Who is buying all the big motorhomes ? Most dealerships have a significant inventory of Class A and pusher types. Many class A sticker at $2ooK and pushers are higher.
Lottery winners south of the Mason-Dixon and north of the 45th Parallel are required to buy one for each immediate family member upon claiming their prize. Pretty sure it's a law, maybe just a stipulation. Other than that, I think the buyers are retirees who finally got the millenials out of their basements and decided to get far away before they returned.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
QUESTION. If he was asking $159k, why would you offer him $25k less...thats ridiculous and insulting.
If he wanted $135k, wouldn't he be asking that? This is why "sellers" have the attitude when buyers call on an adv, they get sick and tired of wasting their time on low ball offers.
Wow, what can I sell you?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Yes. It hauls lots of free candy, and gets a lot of weird stares.

Holy crap that is awesome lol
Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow, what can I sell you?
+1,